Motoring Discussion > A certain car-maker's re-call Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 4

A certain car-maker's re-call - bathtub tom
I was passing through a room last night during a 'what's on the news' pre-news type advert.

Did I really hear an American woman say something to the effect of 'the throttle jammed open and it accelerated to over 100MPH in reverse'?

If it'll go that fast backwards, think what it'll do forwards. I want one. ;>)
 A certain car-maker's re-call - Bellboy
didnt know the daf44 was ever imported in to the usa
learn summat new eveyday
glad i never had to do a belt on one as im sure the screwdriver yootube shortcut wouldnt work ;-)
>>glad i never had to do a belt on one as im sure the screwdriver yootube shortcut wouldnt work ;-)

That trick only works with the pullies turning.

I've visions of bb og on a crawling board hooked onto the underside, screwdriver in one hand, pair of belts in t'other and long tresses flying in the slipstream.

I need to go and lie down. ;>)
 A certain car-maker's re-call - Chris White
Not quite as described on the news - the accelerator stuck when she was going forwards and she shifted her automatic car into reverse to try and stop it.

The committee heard from drivers such as Rhonda Smith, a Tennessee woman whose Toyota-made Lexus suddenly zoomed to 100 miles per hour as she tried to get it to stop – shifting to neutral, trying to throw the car into reverse and engaging the handbrake. Finally, her car slowed down before she crashed.

Ms Smith wrote down her feelings after the scare in October 2006, describing it as "a near-death experience".

She said "At almost exactly six miles, God intervened" and slowed the car.
Thanks for that, I obviously didn't hear it all.
Latest Forum Posts