Motoring Discussion > Traffic on an iPhone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 53

Traffic on an iPhone? - Mapmaker
Not that fussed about a sat nav; much prefer maps and really I don't that often go to places I don't know. But just occasionally it's nice to be able to check traffic conditions. Does Google traffic work with an iPhone? Thanks.
 Traffic on an iPhone? - Crankcase
Apple/Google/Maps is about to get complicated, so whilst the answer is "yes" as of this second, it might not be for much longer.

However, there are lots of free traffic apps. Have a look at the Highways Agency one, for example:

www.highways.gov.uk/aboutus/2299.aspx
 Traffic on an iPhone? - Zero
I use the Highways Agency App, get it from the App store when you get your phone. Its free.
 Traffic on an iPhone? - rtj70
There's also the RAC app which shows holdups, roadworks etc. I assume it's the same on an iPhone as it is on Android.

There's even apps on Android (and so probably on iPhone) that let you look at the images on cameras on the roads.

As said above, Apple will soon be ditching Google for maps and doing its own.
 Traffic on an iPhone? - Manatee
If you open Maps on your 4S, and prod the little page turning icon bottom right, you'll see the option to show traffic.

But when Apple release iOS 6 for the iPhone 4S.... it won't have Google maps. You'll okay if you stay on iOS5.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 18:26
 Traffic on an iPhone? - Crankcase
Or download the promised google app that has all the functionality we have now, allegedly. If Apple don't block it.

Traffic on an iPhone? - John H
Or sell the iPhone and buy the new Nokia Lumia 920 announced today:

www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia920/

Thanks, John. I haven't even got it yet.
 Traffic on an iPhone? - Bill Payer
>> But when Apple release iOS 6 for the iPhone 4S.... it won't have Google maps.
>> You'll okay if you stay on iOS5.
>>

iOS6 (here any day) will have TomTom based sat nav built in.
Not TomTom as such. It will be using mapping data from Teleatlas which is a subsidiary of TomTom.
>> If you open Maps on your 4S,

How?
 Traffic on an iPhone? - VxFan
>> >> If you open Maps on your 4S,
>>
>> How?

Just click on the "Maps" app on the first page of your apps. To go to the first page without having to scroll though all other pages of apps (although I doubt you have many apps yet?) just press the home button at the bottom of the screen. Once the Map app is open, press the little half folded piece of paper in the bottom RH corner and if it shows "hide traffic", touch it with your finger to change it to "show traffic"
OK, it's on iTunes. If I plug the phone into the computer, does it upload it immediately?

(Properly numpty question; I guess I could RTFM when I get it, but I have a feeling the manual will be electronic and run to thousands of pages and be written in Japanesenglish.
 Traffic on an iPhone? - No FM2R
You have to make a pair of the iphone and the itunes installation. As it is a new iphone that isn't an issue.

Just plug it in and follow what it says to do, its pretty obvious.

Its really only an issue if you were plugging in an iphone which already had stuff on it.
Thanks.

PS I haven't had a text from you for an hour and forty minutes. Do you no longer love me?

:'-(
Never loved you before, imagine how many texts you'd have got if I did!
p.s. some things I recommend you do in iTunes;

iTunes / edit / preferences / advanced

Tick "Keep iTunes Media File Organised"

If you ever need to mess aroudn wiht it, it'll be easier its all named logically

Tick "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library"

The only potential issue is if you're short of disk space. However, this will mean that all your itunes stuff is in itunes so if you move/delete stuff elsewhere it won;t matter. It also helps avoid creating duplicates of anything/everything in error.

iTunes / edit / preferences / devices

I tick "prevent ipods from synching automatically"

It means you have to click synch manually, hardly a major effort, but it can prevent situations where you want to plug in a foreign device without wiping it or disrupting anything.

The manual isn't especially helpful or easy to use. Worth getting the 'iPhone secrets' app and volume 2 for 69p each. And yes, the manual's a download.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 23:23
I find your timing for getting an iPhone interesting - what you got today will be cheaper in a week as it will be the old iPhone. Hope you enjoy it.
I doubt if it will make much difference with the contract Mapmaker is on. Looks a good deal to me.
I doubt it will make any difference, and I'm fed up with messing about! You could have said this in the previous thread...
 Traffic on an iPhone? - Zero
>> I doubt it will make any difference, and I'm fed up with messing about! You
>> could have said this in the previous thread...

Your call is important to, us but Your Help Desk has been relocated to Chile, please hold until our operative becomes free...

..or sober
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 09:04
>> I doubt it will make any difference, and I'm fed up with messing about! You
>> could have said this in the previous thread...
>>

If you're referring to my comment about better deals next week after the new iPhone launch.... Manatee said this in the other thread:

"You might want to see what, if anything, Apple announces on (IIRC) 12 September - if as speculated its the iPhone 5 then there may be better deals on the 4S."
>> If you're referring to my comment about better deals next week after the new iPhone
>> launch.... Manatee said this in the other thread:
>>

Mapmaker was not going to listen to anyone but Mark and Jeff.

He was warned about the iPhone4S connectors becoming obsolete next week, and about Apple's attitude to do it the Apple way or don't do it at all.

He then goes and buys a contract with data/minutes/text allowance way beyond he is likely to need/use.

As a mapmaker should know, the best maps are on the Nokia Lumia 920, maps are free and reside on on the phone, live traffic information is free, the music is free, syncing with Outlook is designed in by Microsoft, and to top it all the photo quality and applications are the best out there.

Cancel the contract and return the phone under distance selling regs, or ask the network to take back the iPhone and upgrade to the Nokia.

:)
Today's Telegraph tells me that the 920 has no known launch date...
 Traffic on an iPhone? - Focusless
Nokia website says 'soon' :)
www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/phone/lumia920/
 Traffic on an iPhone? - Focusless
...but they tell lies: www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19499879
:)

Actually thanks for this thread - if I'm ever in the position of purchasing a smartphone I will give the Windows models serious consideration, which I wouldn't have done before.
I keep wondering whether I should not go and pick up my eyephone, and instead get the £5 per month 720 (?710) and upgrade it when this new one comes out...

But then surely, that way madness lies...
Maybe you should have an iPhone, maybe you shouldn't, but waiting for the better deal, or the advanced technology will indeed lead you to madness.

If you want one, get one now. Any bugs that are going to be sorted out, have been. And issues to be discovered, have been.

Wait for new tech, and not only will you risk waiting forever, do you not remember the publicity (and the recalls) the last time an iPhone was released?

So you'll have to wait for it to be released, then you'll have to wait 6 months for them to fix it, and by then you'll be wondering whetehr or not you should wait for the iPhone 37a.

If y ou want it, get it now and stop worrying about it.

If you don't want it, then its unlikely you'll want the iPhone 37b either.
>> and upgrade it when this new one comes out...

If you mean swap it for the 920 or 820 when they are out isn't that going to be costly. If you mean upgrade the 720 to Windows Phone 8 then that's not possible. An upgrade to WinPho 7.8 would be and it will look like WinPho 8.

If I was Mapmaker I'd get the iPhone. But I might have waited until next week as there are bound to be price reductions to come on the iPhone 4S.
I'm sure it's a great piece of kit, certainly looks nice. But how do you get it to connect to the internet? I even asked Siri who said 'please connect me to the 'net'.

Useless!
>>But how do you get it to connect to the internet?

Typically put a SIM in it, or connect it to a WiFi network. Or did I miss something?
I assume Mapmaker has put in his micro SIM and got the phone activated on his mobile network. Sounds like he hasn't yet.

Siri obviously needs wifi or mobile 3G connection because the clever stuff is handled by Apple's servers.
Mapmaker,

If that weas a serious question..

Then you first put in the SIM. I would assume that you have some type of data contract. I assume also that you ordered the SIM for this phone, since the SIM used is smaller than for many other phones. Given that this is so, the phone will work it all out for itself when you switch it on.

In addition, if you wish to access a wireless network at any point, then you can connect to WiFi and it will ask for a password and then sort itself out again.

I'd suggest getting into settings and having a good old hunt around to familiarise yourself with what is where.
Hmm. Vaguely serious.

Nice chap in Orange shop got the thing up and running. And eventually I managed to persuade it to connect to the wifi at home. I have a 1GB monthly package, which should be loads?

But as for being able to turn off/on the mobile internet, goodness only knows how. Surely that shouldn't be buried so deeply...

This looks like a learning experience and a half. I need to find a 7-year-old to help...

Why turn off/on the use of mobile data at all? You've got 1GB when away from home. And when at home the phone will use your wifi automatically and therefore limited only by your broadband package in terms of downloading.

Assumes you've not turned something off you should not have.

So why can't you connect to the Internet if your SIM is in, and either you're using the mobile broadband or your wifi?
>> Hmm. Vaguely serious.
>>

>> But as for being able to turn off/on the mobile internet, goodness only knows how.
>> Surely that shouldn't be buried so deeply...
>>

vaguely serious:

using your mobile / iPhone 4S
help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/642793

Apple iPhone Orange UK Contract APN Settings
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2G5WvdbAjA

1Gb monthly is not huge.

It depends what you do. For e-mail and the like then its plenty. For some internet browsing, then its ok. If you start doing lots of browsing/downloading, then its not loads. So be careful. What can catch you out is installed programs updating, a news program you have updating, and things like that.

As for switching off the data (which is what you mean by switching off the internet) then you change the network settings. The only iPhone I have to hand is a 3G in spanish, so tihis won't be exactly correct;

Settings/ General/ Network

And then you should have 3G, Mobile Data and WiFi with some other stuff. Turn it off there.

A word to the wise, as they say;

there is a big difference between understanding how something works and learning how to use it. That 7 year old would have no clue, or indeed interest, how or why it works, he would just learn how to use it and accept that's how it is.

Your life will be easier if you follow the same approach.

Final word, there is NOTHING you can do to that phone that a reset will not fix. Play, try, experiment, screw it up, reset it, try again.

Just be wary in the early days of data consumption.
>> Just be wary in the early days of data consumption.

So do most of the experimenting at home on the wifi. You say it now connects to this.
Aha. Whilst it is accepting incoming calls, it is not doing outgoing calls or texts; I guess that's the same for the internet. Maybe it needs a bit longer to set itself up. All sorted now following a call to customer service. Thanks!
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 7 Sep 12 at 09:14
You have setup the phone properly haven't you?
>>you should have 3G, Mobile Data and WiFi

Indeed. So what's the difference between 3G and Mobile Data?

RTJ - yes, just edited post above, it now works!
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 7 Sep 12 at 09:16
>> Indeed. So what's the difference between 3G and Mobile Data?

I don't have an iPhone but I would expect there to be a toggle/switch to turn on or off 3G connections so the phone falls back to using 2G only (GSM). It's slower but in some areas, and depending on who your mobile service provider, you might get a more reliable signal. And 2G takes less power then 3G.

The Mobile Data toggle/switch will be to switch off using all mobile data, whether it's 2G or 3G.
2G is Voice & Text, Mobile Data
3G is Voice & Text, Mobile Data, but significantly faster, using more battery power.

Mobile Data is internet access, VOIP calling, software updates, e-mail send/receive and data synching such as diaries and contacts.

Coverage maps are different, and there are times where one or other may not be available. As a guide, rural areas always have 2G and City/Urban areas have 3G.

2G and 3G are the terms used extensively in the UK. They are not complete nor generic, but they serve. LTE, HSDPA, HSPA, EDGE and many others are ones that you may hear but can ignore.

Don't even get me started on 4G which is not even a globally defined standard.

If you use a phone for voice and text only, then switching off 3G will lose you little or nothing and gain you battery life.

However, switching it off on an iPhone would make me question why you bought an iPhone in the first place.

SMS (text) is unaffected by any differnece between 2G and 3G and unaffected by turning off mobile data.

I have my android set to only do any significant updating or synching when there is WiFi available since if I exceed my data limit in South America its horribly expensive.

In the UK I have unlimited data so leave everything turned on all the time, and just accept reduced battery life.

As always there's a choice.

Since you have 1Gb and it is unclear how much you will use, then in the early days you need to be aware of your data usage and prepared to turn the mobile data off if exceeding 1Gb is expensive and becomes likely.

After the month then your usage will become clear from both your provider and the iPhone. If your usage is low, then turn it on and leave it on.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 7 Sep 12 at 16:38
Mapmaker, find out what happens if you use up your data allowance.

With my O2 contract on the 4S, after I have used 1GB mobile data continues to work but at a very much reduced 15kbps - i.e. not much use. However I prefer that to paying heavily for overuse - I have a PAYG MiFi that I can use if I need to (as I did recently on holiday where the phone didn't find a 3G signal but the MiFi on 3 did).

FYI, battery life is a day for me, usually. I took it off charge this morning at 7am, and it is now on 60%. I've used it less than usual though I have made an hour of calls - calls don't seem to be a big consumer anyway.

If you get the iPhone Secrets app, there is a chapter on saving battery life should you need to. The app and volume two will point you in the direction of many features that you won't discover by accident for a long time and it will accelerate your familiarisation a lot. No doubt there are others apps available, but you can't really go too far wrong for 69p.
Anyone with a smartphone should know there is a trade off between battery life and using 3G. If you restrict the phone to 2G only then the battery will last longer. If you use the phone a lot at home this might be acceptable ('cos it will be hopefully using WiFi for data then).

Something else to remember is a smartphone will consume data when not in use. My Android is set to leave WiFi on when the phone is locked. Not sure about an iPhone but I suspect that is not the default. And so when idle and the phone is locked it might be using your data allowance. Why do I think that on the iPhone? Step-son has been given his grandma's old 3GS. I was going to unlock it and have put the request in to O2 and it costs £15. Topped up £15 earlier but now only £14 credit on it... phone has been using data when sat doing nothing despite being configured to wifi too! Doh.

And yes it's hackable but the baseband is a version that cannot be unlocked so an upgrade to an iPad baseband and then a downgrade was needed... easier to pay £15 and wait upto 10 working days.
rtj70,

If you work out how to have the applications update and/or synch only when WiFi is available, yet still leave Mobile Data switched on I would be very interested.

The iPhone does not seem to have the ability to make the distinction.
I work on the basis that if a general app isn't running then it isn't using data. Push email is off (under Settings/Mail/Fetch New Data). This also saves battery.

If it is important to conserve battery I turn off bluetooth unless in the car (when I can also plug in anyway).

Apps on the iPhone don't update automatically - App Store is currently telling me that it wants to update 3 apps, I will have to put my Apple ID pw in and generally I wouldn't do updates until I'm connected to wifi. Apps like the Telegraph (comes with the print sub) and Mail (free for 3 months) don't update unless running. The Mail app can be set to wifi only for updating news and images of which it has a lot.

I haven't usually made much of a dent in the 1GB data allowance. Even when deprived of wifi for a week on holiday and using 3G I only got through about 400MB that month. I even used it as a hotspot a couple of times.

Of course if you get into the habit of watching iPlayer etc then I expect you could rip through it.
This iPhone is connected to my Wifi network. It's not been on but when I checked the balance online to see if the £15 was taken it had dropped to £14. I can only suspect data usage when it's been locked.

I'm not familiar with the multi-tasking capability of iOS 5.1.1 but surely it does check things in the background being a smart phone. You'd want to know you've got email or someone was trying to either Skype or Facetime you. I'd assumed it would use Wifi when at home but maybe in standby mode it uses GPRS/3G?

Anyway I'll experiment a bit more when the £15 is taken. There'll be some credit left over after I added some more.

On Android, as Mark will know, there is an option to restrict background data usage. It does not stop it altogether though.
The iPhone does continue to run apps when locked. Google latitude runs all the time even when not open. Most users have them set to auto lock after 5 minutes or less. Apps like Runkeeper certainly continue when the phone is locked, and make audible announcements. The eBay app notifies expiring watched items even when closed. Skype will only notify messages if it is open, but it will do it even when the phone is locked. No idea re FaceTime, don't use it.

Frankly the 4S is a brilliant device in absolute terms (I don't know the Androids/windows ones) and it shouldn't be necessary to cripple it by blocking 3G or mobile data given a 1GB allowance and a bit of planning around charging.

If I'm out for a long day with uncertain access to power I take a charging case as a backup. It cost £11 from 7dayshop and will recharge the iPhone to 80%.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 7 Sep 12 at 20:51
I'm only blocking data on this old 3GS to make sure there's still £15 credit in the next two weeks for it to be unlocked. Then I'll turn it back on and put in the SIM it's going to use. No point in a smartphone if you turn off data.
 Traffic on an iPhone? - VxFan
>> If it is important to conserve battery I turn off bluetooth unless in the car
>> (when I can also plug in anyway).

I've run tests on my iPhone4 with bluetooth left on all the time and only switched on when I need it for my hands free kit.

It made no difference whatsoever to battery consumption, so now I just leave BT on all the time. It doesn't use any extra battery until it comes into range of an authorised BT device.
Haven't actually tested it with the iphone. Made a dent on the battery life of the Blackberry, which wasn't an issue until the battery started to lose its virtue. I don't do it routinely, but it sounds as if I needn't bother.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 8 Sep 12 at 20:57
Latest Forum Posts