Motoring Discussion > Why is the horn ................. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 38

Why is the horn ................. - L'escargot
............ connected to the battery when the ignition is off?
 Why is the horn ................. - Lygonos
In case you wish to 'advise other roadusers of your presence' while sitting eating your sandwiches.
 Why is the horn ................. - neiltoo
Interesting question.....

Isn't it illegal to sound your horn when stationary?
 Why is the horn ................. - Zero
>> Interesting question.....
>>
>> Isn't it illegal to sound your horn when stationary?

Highway Code Section 112

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
  • while stationary on the road
  • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another road user poses a danger.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 16:11
 Why is the horn ................. - Fursty Ferret
>> >> Interesting question.....
>> >>
>> >> Isn't it illegal to sound your horn when stationary?
>>
>> Highway Code Section 112
>>
>> The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other
>> road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your
>> horn
>>
  • while stationary on the road
    >>
  • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

>> except when another road user poses a danger.
>>

Or you're a minicab driver, in which case you should lean on it until you realise you're in the wrong street.

Why is the horn ................. - Crankcase
>> Isn't it illegal to sound your horn when stationary?

That seems unlikely. Only today I observed (as a pedestrian) a van at the head of a queue backing to make way for an oncoming lorry. The car behind waited until the last second before hooting and then hurriedly reversing, which caused the car behind him to hoot and reverse...

No impact anywhere, but it was very close. The hooting seemed sensible as a warning at least.

Edit:

I see this falls under the caveat Zero mentions.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 16:13
 Why is the horn ................. - R.P.
The horn didn't operate on the X1 with the ignition off - never tested it on anything else.
 Why is the horn ................. - Robin O'Reliant
>> The horn didn't operate on the X1 with the ignition off - never tested it
>> on anything else.
>>
I'm pretty sure it didn't on the VW Lupo I had, but both the headlight flasher and the brake lights did.
 Why is the horn ................. - R.P.
I'm sure that many of the cars I've owned recently are the same.
 Why is the horn ................. - DP
I have used the horn when stationary (albeit with the engine running). It prevented the person in front from slowly rolling back into my car when queueing at a set of lights on a hill. Illegal or not, it saved an insurance claim.
 Why is the horn ................. - Runfer D'Hills
Never ever used it other than to test if it's working for an MOT. If you need to use it you're not driving defensively enough and using it to chastise an idiot just leads to an irritated and even more unpredictable or erratic idiot. There is no useful place on the road for bad temper and if you constantly assume that at least one of others around you, whether in a vehicle or otherwise will probably do something stupid at any given moment you are usually right and what's more in a position to avoid most of their failings without having to trumpet your dismay. Sounding of a horn is a clear sign of a bad, unobservant or arrogant driver in it's own right in most cases. The roller back DP mentions is a possible exception.

So there...
 Why is the horn ................. - sherlock47
The history is probably one of not wiring a relatively inductive high current device through the ignition switch to extend component life.

It was also unlikely to be accidently left operated when you went away from the vehicle :)
>> The history is probably one of not wiring a relatively inductive high current device through
>> the ignition switch to extend component life.

I thought it might have been some reason like that.
 Why is the horn ................. - sherlock47
Good to see somebody got back to the original question!
 Why is the horn ................. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Never ever used it other than to test if it's working for an MOT. If
>> you need to use it you're not driving defensively enough and using it to chastise
>> an idiot just leads to an irritated and even more unpredictable or erratic idiot.
>>
There is a regular spot where I always use the horn, the approach to a single track S-bend under a railway bridge. I appreciate it when an oncoming driver does the same.
 Why is the horn ................. - zookeeper
talking of horn miss use... they have just built a new hotel ( lenny henry uses them ) in the old BT building next to my gaff...and there is forever horn blowing by lazy drivers picking up friends / reletives who cant be bothered to meet them at the lobby
plus there is a mail sorting office adjacent where the van/lorry drivers blow their horns day and night to get into the post office building.....who do i complain too?
 Why is the horn ................. - Mapmaker
>>Never ever used it other than to test if it's working for an MOT. If you need to use it you're
>>not driving defensively enough and using it to chastise an idiot just leads to an irritated and
>>even more unpredictable or erratic idiot.

Agreed.

I have just spent a 'tiny bit' *cough* of time without a horn. I have noticed my driving has become considerably more defensive. In particular I have become much more sensible about creeping up on the inside of vans when in traffic.

New MOT means horn now working!
 Why is the horn ................. - zookeeper
if there was a horn blowing capital of the world , i wonder who would be tops? india or some hothead south american city i would presume
 Why is the horn ................. - Armel Coussine
I hardly ever use the horn. Almost never loudly.

Stayed in a quite classy hotel once in Ikorodu Road, mainland Lagos. Petty traders selling cigarettes and so on were clustered on the edge of the dual carriageway that passed in front of it.

Every taxi that passed, and there were plenty all day and all night, beeped its horn in a syncopated rhythm, bee beebeebee bebe BEE BEE BEEP! all day and all night to warn the traders of their approach.

There was a nightclub in the bowels of the hotel too, with live music until 2 am. Westpig would have adored the place.
 Why is the horn ................. - scousehonda
Passed my driving test 50 years ago last April and never used the horn on any car I've driven (unlike the regular visitor to my next door neighbour who spends a good 5 minutes saying goodbye to them after each visit, gets into his car at the front gate and gives 3 hearty honks before setting off and another when he gets to the end of the road which is a good 30 yards away).
 Why is the horn ................. - Bromptonaut
Used prolonged horn once in last year ignition off to alert dozy bint alongside reversing with too much lock to exit her space without scraping offside of my car.

Plenty narrow or humpty backed canal and rail bridges hereabouts that need a toot to alert opposite direction traffic.
 Why is the horn ................. - oilburner
>> if there was a horn blowing capital of the world , i wonder who would
>> be tops? india or some hothead south american city i would presume
>>

They seemed pretty keen on the horn in Italy when I was last driving there.

Rather than a form of aggression, it was a genuine communication tool. At least sometimes.

*beep* - "I'm here and need to get through on this non-existent third lane ASAP"
*beep* - "So am I buddy"
*beep* *beep* - "My car was made in Italy, so I have priority, huh?"
*beeeeeeep* - "What do I care? I have a hot piece of stuff waiting for me at home"

Rather pleasant when you got used to it. Beep here and there and everybody got on with it and enjoyed themselves.
>> Never ever used it other than to test if it's working for an MOT.

Me neither, except when I do it accidentally while cleaning the inside of the car.

Most drivers use the horn to display annoyance at what another driver has done rather than as a warning of their presence.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 06:45
 Why is the horn ................. - Tigger
Hardly ever use mine, but did yesterday when I spotted a car inching out of a blind exit as I was approaching.
 Why is the horn ................. - Roger.
The thing we both really, really, hate is the sounding of a car horn in a nice quiet street to announce the vehicle driver's arrival to collect someone from a neighbouring house.
Why is it too much trouble to get out of a car and in a civilised manner walk to the door and actually ring the bell?
Taxi drivers are huge offenders in this unmannerly practice.
 Why is the horn ................. - bathtub tom
A neighbour of Mediterranean origin had visitors who'd announce their arrival with the car horn, often waking my ,then, young children. One summer I was in plaster with a broken leg and tiring of this behaviour hobbled on crutches to the offending car and tapped on the window, asking if they'd like me to go and knock on the door as I presumed they were disabled.
>> The thing we both really, really, hate is the sounding of a car horn in
>> a nice quiet street to announce the vehicle driver's arrival ..........

Even less necessary (and hence more annoying) is someone's visitor sounding their horn when they leave.
 Why is the horn ................. - Mike Hannon
I was stationary with the ignition off outside a hotel in Bordeaux some years ago when two women emerged from the building and got into the A-class Mercedes parked in front of me. I became alarmed when I heard it start up and the reversing lights came on.
Fortunately, I realised that she had not noticed I was there and in the split second as her car started to move back, even though the ignition on my car was off I was able to sound the horn continuously as well as flashing the headlights to warn her of my presence.
Unfortunately, the stupid cow didn't take a blind bit of notice and backed straight into my car.
 Why is the horn ................. - VxFan
>> Most drivers use the horn to display annoyance at what another driver has done

And your point is?
 Why is the horn ................. - DP
I used to use my horn every single day when my commute involved negotiating a steeply humped, completely blind single track railway bridge. Everyone I encountered coming the other way did the same thing.
 Why is the horn ................. - Bromptonaut
>> >> Most drivers use the horn to display annoyance at what another driver has done
>>
>> And your point is?

That stuff happens. I've done that in last week. Following driver glued herself to my bumper for half a mile then sharply undertook in a 24hour bus lane just before its end. At end I slot in behind her at which point she brakes sharply and turns left, sans indication, into a side road.

No danger at all I'd run into her but she peed me off!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 12:55
>> >> Most drivers use the horn to display annoyance at what another driver has done
>>
>> And your point is?
>>

My point is only what I said, nothing more, no hidden meanings. It's my thread and I can say what I like!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 16:22
 Why is the horn ................. - VxFan
>> It's my thread and I can say what I like!

;)
 Why is the horn ................. - Fursty Ferret
>> Most drivers use the horn to display annoyance at what another driver has done rather
>> than as a warning of their presence.
>>

The trouble is that in these situations I can never remember which button it is, so usually end up expressing my displeasure at their driving by washing the windscreen.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Thu 6 Sep 12 at 13:10
 Why is the horn ................. - Armel Coussine
>> I can never remember which button it is, so usually end up expressing my displeasure at their driving by washing the windscreen.

Tee hee, snap! (with unfamiliar cars anyway).
 Why is the horn ................. - movilogo
This is a safety feature. Imagine you are out from car for a few minutes. There is someone inside the car. Suddenly

1. Cars starts to roll. S/he can sound horn to get your attention (shouting loudly should do - too)

2. Someone tries to threat him/her.

I have seen #2 scenario in few movies.

Incidentally for this same reason, I think foot operated parking brakes are bad. If car starts to roll (in case when parking brake was not applied). It is much easier/intuitive for someone who is inside the car (but not driver) to apply the traditional parking brake. Too difficult for foot operated one.
>> This is a safety feature. Imagine you are out from car for a few minutes.
>> There is someone inside the car. Suddenly
>>
>> 1. Cars starts to roll. S/he can sound horn to get your attention (shouting loudly
>> should do - too)
>>
>> 2. Someone tries to threat him/her.

"Er indoors is a non-driver and I'd put money on it that she doesn't know where the horn button is.
 Why is the horn ................. - Cliff Pope
>> . If
>> you need to use it you're not driving defensively enough
>>

I can't think of a better defensive use of the horn than warning a reversing lorry that it is about to squash you.
 Why is the horn ................. - Mapmaker

>> I can't think of a better defensive use of the horn than warning a reversing
>> lorry that it is about to squash you.

I have spent the last n months, er, minutes, driving without a horn and have never once felt the need to use it but have been well aware of not putting myself into certain positions.

I now have one. Last night I hooted at a coach that was rolling backwards towards me; at two pedestrians who jumped out onto the road without looking - I stopped just in time but they jumped out of the way just in time too.

Has my driving become less defensive? I don't know.
Latest Forum Posts