Motoring Discussion > Honda - Will This Be The New Accord? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 3

Honda - Will This Be The New Accord? - Robbie34
It has been reported that Honda have indicated that they will not replace the 8th generation Accord with a new model. Interestingly, this article seems to show a model with German plates. Would Honda produce an Accord for Europe and not the UK?

tinyurl.com/btsaugt
 Honda - Will This Be The New Accord? - Boxsterboy
From the article it looks like it might be the end of the European Accord and we will get lumbered with the (aparently inferior) American model. Just like Ford are doing with the new Mondeo. That's globalisation for you!

There was a time when 'global' cars were European-based (thinking of the Mk 1 Fiesta, Mk1 Focus and Mk1 Mondeo, and even some GM cars in the US had European origins). It's a shame that in the drive for greater profits/lower costs 'global' cars seem to be becoming built down to a price rather than engineered up to a standard.
 Honda - Will This Be The New Accord? - oilburner
Isn't the problem that the European car market is so depressed, especially for larger cars, that it makes more sense to design cars for the US (where shedloads can still be sold) and bring them here rather than the other way round?

I remember the original Mondeo was pushed on the Yanks and they hated it; Ford were quite embarrassed at the failure of their first global car. If *we* don't like the new Americanised offerings, then few will lose sleep over it.

Some perspective here. At peak in the year 2000, Honda sold about 16,000 Accords here. These days it's more like 1,500 per year.

In the USA, Honda sell about 220,000 Accords per year.

Can't see the EU figures as a whole, but I doubt it's anything like that much.
Last edited by: oilburner on Fri 7 Sep 12 at 17:03
 Honda - Will This Be The New Accord? - Robbie34

>>
>> Some perspective here. At peak in the year 2000, Honda sold about 16,000 Accords here.
>> These days it's more like 1,500 per year.
>>
>> In the USA, Honda sell about 220,000 Accords per year.
>>
>> Can't see the EU figures as a whole, but I doubt it's anything like that
>> much.

Honda have slipped from about 10,000 Accords per year to just over 2,500.

I need to change my Accord, that I will have had for nine years in March 2013. I'd love another Accord, but will have to go for the new CR-V in its place.
Latest Forum Posts