Motoring Discussion > BMW 5-Series E?? - Only 3 months old and already tinkering
Thread Author: a900ss Replies: 7

BMW 5-Series E?? - Only 3 months old and already tinkering - a900ss
All,

I've got a F11 2012 520d Auto and had it coded yesterday.

I can now read e-mails and texts in full on the move rather than just the first three lines (useful for playing catch up when stuck at traffic lights)
The fog lights come on with the welcome lights. (Just because I could!)
The headlights don't come on as DRL's, just the LED angel rings (my lights are halogen, only 5 series with Xenon's have just angel rings as DRL's by default)
The stop/start automatically remembers the state is was previously in rather an defaulting to always on.
The dash now displays the gear I am in when I put the auto box in 'S' mode, ie S1/S2 etc, rather than just 'S'. (PS ths is the regular auto box rather than the sports auto box).

And I can also bring up this nifty little graphic on the central screen telling me what bhp and Nm the car is producing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex3LD9kIOYY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sincere thanks to the chap that did this for me and I am once again a 5 year old who enjoys tinkering.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 8 Sep 12 at 20:54
 BMW 5-Series E?? - Only 3 months old and already tinkering - Dave_
I like that. It's the sort of thing that should be possible on all modern cars IMO. Isn't it the case that progressive ECU updates by the manufacturer can improve both performance and economy as the years pass?

I can enable/disable drive-away locking and the seatbelt warning on the Mondeo, and I understand it's possible to "unlock" some extra functions on the trip computer (instantaneous MPG, oil temp) as well as set the dipped headlights to act as DRLs but that's about the limit of its programmability. Most of those functions are simply features for different markets not enabled on UK cars.
>> I like that. It's the sort of thing that should be possible on all modern
>> cars IMO. Isn't it the case that progressive ECU updates by the manufacturer can improve
>> both performance and economy as the years pass?
>>
>> I can enable/disable drive-away locking and the seatbelt warning on the Mondeo, and I understand
>> it's possible to "unlock" some extra functions on the trip computer (instantaneous MPG, oil temp)
>> as well as set the dipped headlights to act as DRLs but that's about the
>> limit of its programmability. Most of those functions are simply features for different markets not
>> enabled on UK cars.
>>

It's just a shame that you need to be a computer whizz to do all this. I think most of this should be customisable by the owner. All the programming is within the car, it's just a case of making options active or inactive to select what you want.
 BMW 5-Series E?? - Only 3 months old and already tinkering - PeterS
Sounds like useful enhancements there. The current 5 series touring is an F11 I think; BMW have run out of E numbers!!
>> Sounds like useful enhancements there. The current 5 series touring is an F11 I think;
>> BMW have run out of E numbers!!
>>

Blame the website for the E classification. I'm fully aware the saloon is the F10 and the touring is the F11 but no 'F' options when selecting.
 BMW 5-Series E?? - Only 3 months old and already tinkering - PeterS
Ah, OK! I recall when I had an early E61 touring and referred to it as such there was disbelief from a fair few posters on bmwland that such a car existed :-)
 BMW 5-Series E?? - Only 3 months old and already tinkering - oilburner

>> The stop/start automatically remembers the state is was previously in rather an defaulting to always
>> on.

Now there's an option that should be user configurable. Why it isn't is beyond me.

In my last Zafira it had full check control (bulb failure, washer fluid etc), but it was turned off. With the thanks of some software from eBay, I turned it back on again.

No logical reason why it wasn't on already, as I had a high spec model...

It seems the manufacturers are scared of providing cars that are too complicated to configure by the owner? Maybe they need a secret switch you can press to enable more configuration, so that the intellectually challenged or plain Luddite can avoid seeing all the options?
 BMW 5-Series E?? - Only 3 months old and already tinkering - Dave_
>> Maybe they need a secret switch you can press to enable more configuration

The Mondeo settings are all Googleable. Ignition on, ignition off, lock/unlock doors 3 times, ignition on then it bleeps twice or something to signify autolocking has been enabled. Same with the seatbelts. I admit it should be easier :)
Latest Forum Posts