Motoring Discussion > Citroen - Too good to be true? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Felix Replies: 18

Citroen - Too good to be true? - Felix
Hi,
I’ve been lurking on these forums and though I haven’t posted for sometime I’d value your collective wisdom now. Having decided that I want to buy a nearly-new Citroen DS4, I’ve been on the lookout for ads that meet my criteria of spec/colour. Then I found this: tinyurl.com/9psuhzq
The only problem with it is that, although it’s from a Citroen dealer, it’s not in their approved used scheme, and I’m puzzled as to why that might be. Do you think I ought to smell a rat? I’m not so bothered if it’s not covered by the scheme since it’s obviously got plenty of its warranty to run anyway, but it seems fishy all the same. Presumably so long as i got it HPI checked, etc, I could cover myself anyway, but if it seems too good to be true then.. you know the rest.
Thoughts welcome!
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - mikeyb
EH have quite a few different dealerships - is it for sale at a Citroen dealership, or some other?

If its at a Citroen dealer and with only 8K on it they will not include it in the approved used car scheme than I would be suspicious.............
>> EH have quite a few different dealerships - is it for sale at a Citroen
>> dealership, or some other?
>>
Think it is a citroen dealership, found it on the citroen dealers website and the ad promptly disappeared when I asked to filter on approved used ones.
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - Meldrew
Somebody here having serious lack of service from EH, allegedly

tinyurl.com/8akpa2e
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - Bromptonaut
I had a run in with Evans Halshaw several years ago over botched repairs to my Xantia. Probably a local people issue rather than one of organisational culture but I would need a very strong incentive to treat with them ever again.

Only way to find out why it's outside the Hallmark scheme is to ask. Given there's still a huge chunk of warranty left (assuming it's transferable) then your only losing out on the add ons like 14 day exchange or suchlike.

Looks a lot of money but as ever the issue is cost to change, not the price tag figure.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 9 Sep 12 at 11:02
The telephone number suggests a Leicester branch but so far as I can tell from a Google they're Ford rather than Citroen at that Location.
>> The telephone number suggests a Leicester branch but so far as I can tell from
>> a Google they're Ford rather than Citroen at that Location.
>>
Did a double take for a second but no they are a citroen dealer...

www.evanshalshawleeds.citroen.co.uk/
Apologies. My mistake Leicester is 0116, the number there is clearly 0113; Leeds.

Should have gone to Specsavers.
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - TheManWithNoName
Felix, why don't you ask the dealer why its not on their approved list and what that means exactly for a potential purchaser compared to an 'approved' car.

I'd be curious too, as I've looked at Hyundai's before now and they too have a list of approved and non approved cars, yet the prices remain comparable.
>> Felix, why don't you ask the dealer why its not on their approved list and
>> what that means exactly for a potential purchaser compared to an 'approved' car.
>>
I sent them a message earlier today (and another EH branch in Cardiff who had a similar ad) and I'll let you know what response I get...
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - Zero
I would phone them up and ask them. Their response on the phone will give you a good idea of how honest and good to deal with they seem. You cant sense hesitation or potential porkies in an email.
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - Falkirk Bairn
>> although it’s from a Citroen dealer, it’s not in their approved used scheme, and I’m puzzled >>as to why that might be.

My money is on a clerical error/ input error rather than a problem with car
I think it's something to do with the dealer. Looking at the Citroen dealer search, there are lots of EH Citroen dealers but only a handful of them appear to participate in the scheme. I wonder why that is...
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - Collos
Its still under Citroen warranty surely that would overide anything EH would give.Its at Ringways roundabout in Leeds if anyone is interested along with many more.
Well I got an email reply saying ' the reason why it's not on the Citroen Approved, cause we don't Have to be, Reason for that its cost us so much to do so, and it is not viable for us to do it. We don't have that much margin across the cars.'. As I said none of their cars are Citroen approved. As you say the Citroen new car warranty is surely what counts so I'm thinking that I'm worrying about nothing. Or does anyone disagree.... It's not as if I'd be using them for after care, they're not that local to me.
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - R.P.
Dunno if it's available in England but there was a consumer programme on ITV Wales tonight (The Ferret) Evans Halshaw customer service stinks if this guy's problem was representative.
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - CGNorwich
The question I would ask is "what cost them so much to do"? and "is the car cheaper as a result of not being in the scheme" The Citroen scheme gives you this:

www.usedcar.citroen.co.uk/approved-used/mot-test-cover/

The 30 day return option seems worthwhile. If I could find a similar car elsewhere in the scheme personally I would be happier. The dealer doesn't seem very customer orientated.

>> The 30 day return option seems worthwhile. If I could find a similar car elsewhere
>> in the scheme personally I would be happier. The dealer doesn't seem very customer orientated.
>>
I kind of agree, however their prices seem competitive relative to most of the approved used ones, possibly cancelling out the £750 mot cover. Agree the dealer doesn't seem customer oriented but I'm only after a product, not their service. I'd read bad things about EH too. Hmmm I don't know!
 Citroen - Too good to be true? - R.P.
evanshalshaw-nightmare.blogspot.co.uk/

Here read some really bad things. Make sure the car is not a grey import with a non-UK warranty.
Latest Forum Posts