Motoring Discussion > Tyre puncture question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 36

Tyre puncture question - L'escargot
Yesterday I removed a screw from one of my rear tyres. The threaded part of the screw was 10mm long and the depth of the tyre tread was 7 mm. How likely is it that the tyre is punctured?
 Tyre puncture question - Zero
Dunno, tell us tomorrow.
 Tyre puncture question - swiss tony
>> How likely is it that the tyre is punctured?
>>

99%
 Tyre puncture question - devonite
>> How likely is it that the tyre is punctured?

3mm!

Depends where it went in, through the thickest part of the tread, in a groove, did it go in slanted or straight?
Last edited by: devonite on Sat 15 Sep 12 at 13:29
>> Depends where it went in, through the thickest part of the tread, in a groove,
>> did it go in slanted or straight?
>>

Straight in, through 7mm depth of tread.
 Tyre puncture question - Ted

I take a fair few nail/screw punctures in to National. I had one last week. They won't repair if it's in the shoulder of the tread.

Ted
 Tyre puncture question - Lygonos
Likely to be ok - the carcass beneath the tread is more than 3mm thick.

I presume you put some gob on the hole the screw came from to see if there was air loss?
>> Likely to be ok - the carcass beneath the tread is more than 3mm thick.
>>
>> I presume you put some gob on the hole the screw came from to see
>> if there was air loss?

I used washing up liquid, and I couldn't see any bubbles.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 15 Sep 12 at 14:13
 Tyre puncture question - Runfer D'Hills
If you can still see where it went in, you could try dribbling some water on the area to see if it bubbles.

Edit - Can tell you're Scottish Lygonos...Gob indeed ! I was thinking Evian myself...

:-)

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 15 Sep 12 at 14:10
 Tyre puncture question - VxFan
>> If you can still see where it went in, you could try dribbling some water
>> on the area to see if it bubbles.

Do the job properly and put the wheel in the bath.
>> Do the job properly and put the wheel in the bath.
>>

Is that what baths this shape are made for? tinyurl.com/9apznd3
>> Depends where it went in, through the thickest part of the tread, in a
>> groove,
>> did it go in slanted or straight?

Straight in, through 7mm depth of tread, near the centre of the tyre.
 Tyre puncture question - Simon
If it isn't leaking, then it isn't punctured!!!
>> If it isn't leaking, then it isn't punctured.

I kicked the tyre this morning and it felt OK.

In hindsight, the question I should have asked was "What's the thickness of the carcase, excluding the tread depth, near the centre of the tread, of a Goodyear NCT5 195/60 R15 88V tyre?" Then I needn't have mentioned the screw, or whether the tyre was likely to be punctured.
Ah, but then you'd have to ask the supplementary question:

How much does the tread and carcass of a 195/60 VR15 Goodyear NCT5 compress while being driven?

And you'd need to furnish us with the weight of the car and occupants, the roads you were driving on, and modify the result due to the possibility that you drove over a stone that poked the screw deeper into the tyre at some point
Rats'll be along in a minute to advise the best course of action is a new car, and to be safe pick it up stright from the production line.

Are you putting this suspect tyre on the back, or the front?
you forget, winter is round the corner......
He drives on NCT5s - I doubt he knows what a winter tyre is.
 Tyre puncture question - Old Navy
My aircon is working perfectly, will this be OK for the winter temperatures?
 Tyre puncture question - Clk Sec
Breadmaker anyone...
What colour screenwash should i use....
 Tyre puncture question - CGNorwich
No thanks, coating everything with sump oil. What do you think about caravans?
Wont that sump oil get on your car mats?
 Tyre puncture question - CGNorwich
How do you get if off brick weave paving?
you scrape it off with an Aldi wiper bade I think.
 Tyre puncture question - Clk Sec
Bring back the Silly Thread...
 Tyre puncture question - VxFan
>> Bring back the Silly Thread...

Sounds like some people already have
 Tyre puncture question - Runfer D'Hills
Or how do you get it off cyclists?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 16 Sep 12 at 12:33
Clearly the cyclist was drunk if it fell in the oil (or riding a brompton)
 Tyre puncture question - Manatee
Ideally both.
 Tyre puncture question - Bromptonaut
>> Clearly the cyclist was drunk if it fell in the oil (or riding a brompton)
>>

Oi!!!
 Tyre puncture question - Mapmaker
>> If it isn't leaking, then it isn't punctured!!!

No, but there is a nasty weak spot just asking for a blowout. I would take it to be repaired properly. No doubt this will cue a list of people recommending a new tyre rather than a repair.
 Tyre puncture question - Manatee
That sounded logical to me until I imagined the repair - I can't see how poking the hole through and putting a mushroom patch in will make the tyre stronger.

Of course there's a fail safe answer which is to change the tyre, but who's going to replace a tyre because it nearly got a puncture?

Not me at risk of course, but it it was I'd happily ignore it.

Perhaps I'm not risk averse enough for modern life, with that attitude and being so reckless as to use a bicycle for the ideal purpose of going for a pint!
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 17 Sep 12 at 09:34
 Tyre puncture question - devonite
I wonder how many folk "nearly" have punctures, but continue to fully wear-out the tyre, blissfully unaware. This has only cropped up because you noticed it, lots of people wouldn`t have. I personally would forget about it, if you let the knowledge that the screw has been there get to you, you will end up a nervous wreck worrying about allsorts of "nearly`s" that may have happened. If you can`t do that, then £80 quids for a new tyre is an expensive Tablet to take, but.......
 Tyre puncture question - Cliff Pope
Exactly. Think of the times when you get a tapping sound from a tyre after going over bit of gravel, road debris, etc, from something stuck in the tread, and then after a few seconds, or minutes, it gets flung out again.
Do you worry about the "nearly" puncture ? - it might have been a nail.
Or the times when you gently bump a kerb or hit a stone. It might have damaged the tyre - do you take it off and inspect inside?

When you buy a secondhand car the tyres will probably all have had "nearly punctures", or been bumped up kerbs. Throw them all away and buy new?
 Tyre puncture question - -
I'd continue to use it, though i would be inclined to make a mark (or mental note) on the wheel where the screw was and keep an eye on the tyre, both tread and both sidewalls.
Look out for any changes in shape, radial bulge for example, very unlikely to have done any serious damage unless left in to for a length of time.

Regardless of type of damage i would never let a tyre fitting centre repair my tyres (except for a seen nail...with head intact...straight in tread centre when a cold cure patch will probably do), i worked in a tyre repair workshops as a youngster, standards are a world apart, before any repair is considered the tyre should be stripped off and spread open for internal examination and the wound prodded to check for any and all likely possibilities, that was the case some 40 odd years ago and nothing has changed since.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 17 Sep 12 at 11:16
 Tyre puncture question - Alastairw
Of course, L'es has a full size spare wheel (as all cars should). Why not swap it for the spare and keep the 'damaged' one for emergencies - or at least until the Volvo replacement is delivered...
Latest Forum Posts