Motoring Discussion > Anyone heard of these before? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 7

Anyone heard of these before? - sooty123
www.whipcar.com/

Anyone ever used this company, would you be tempted to rent someone elses or rent out your car?
 Anyone heard of these before? - Mike H
Never heard of them. I would be tempted to rent someone else's car but not to rent out my own! Aquick google throws up the following:

www.reviewcentre.com/reviews264122.html

Not exactly a resounding vote of confidence, and highlights possible issues such as the post which mentions the crowd of lads crashing off over a speed bump.

However, the principle sounds good, and is something I might have considered if I had a car laying idle most of the time.
 Anyone heard of these before? - Zero
Most of the reports and reviews of these "crowd sourcing" hire car schemes I have seen have been bad.

Seem to recall one report (cant find it now) of unavailability, traveling 50 odd miles to get a car that wasn't as described. Owners seem to have bad times hiring out their cars, and give up.

That was a while ago things may have improved since then,
 Anyone heard of these before? - Focusless
This one is near-ish me - I would be tempted if I needed a car for the day; sounds ok:
www.whipcar.com/nathsn/toyota-avensis-colour-ction-vvti/?f=search
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 15 Sep 12 at 17:37
 Anyone heard of these before? - mikeyb
My nearest is a 3 year old Lancer and he wants £47 a day............forty seven quid a day! Hes having a laugh
 Anyone heard of these before? - Zero
For a Lancer? Bargain.
 Anyone heard of these before? - andyfr
>> My nearest is a 3 year old Lancer and he wants £47 a day............

Maybe that's the price to buy it outright!!!
 Anyone heard of these before? - paulb
Whipcar is a nice enough idea in isolation, but clearly elaborated by someone with a hopelessly overoptimistic view of human nature in the context of other people's property.

As an owner, I simply couldn't trust random strangers driving my car around (not that anyone would want to rent a 5 year old, 50k mile Fiat Bravo anyway), and as a renter, I'm not sure I'd want to rely on someone else's idea of proper maintenance.

The report of the company being almost impossible to contact in the event of problems sounds all too believable.
Latest Forum Posts