Motoring Discussion > Smile, your photo is being taken. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 28

Smile, your photo is being taken. - Old Navy
I know, I know, you are all whiter than white and and the police recording your movements is not a problem. The photo in the Mail article is misleading, I can think of at least a dozen fixed ANPR cameras in my local area. I think I could have my photo taken by these cameras 200 times a month.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2203591/Police-snap-wheel-200-times-year-using-Big-Brother-network-roadside-cameras.html
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 Sep 12 at 17:01
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - Zero
200 times a year is way too low. My travel patterns must get me snapped 1000s times a year.

Now given that they have 16 million hits as in that article, does anyone really think the "authorities" have the time or resources to track all of us all the time?
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - No FM2R
I'm not sure I know why it matters.

Not only do I not do anything interesting enough for anyone to watch, I don't do much wrong.

I don't think I'd care if someone was deliberately watching me, never mind the fact that, as Z says, my few photographs will fade into the colossal amount that they are actually building up.

In fact I think the'd rather they photograph my face than not. Someone could forge my number plate, they'd find my appearance more difficult.

As an aside, have you ever considered what will happen when the forging, or at least caputre and reissue, of retinal patterns becomes easier.

You can change a password, you're kind of stuffed with changing your retina.
I would think they can search their system for number plates of interest to them, but they must have the data stored to be able to do a search.
the data will flow through a series of filters. (one such filter will be "taxed y/n") if you are of no significance to be included in a filter, the data stays slopping around unseen in the bucket.

Most of us are insignificant.
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - Dog
It's the same with these spies in every high street, a good thing though IMO, unless you are a thug.

goo.gl/maps/KiAz2
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - madf
Lots and lots of data can be counter productive as the user has - HAS- - has no choice but to filter out most of it as noise.

So if your nose if clean - tax, insurance, seat belt - you will be ignored 99.9% of the time..

Even computers can't handle millions of suspects... they need a short list..
I have seen on TV the system in a car "ping" on seeing a plate with no Tax / Insurance or other mundane stuff even a "Drugs marker". There must be many other more serious reasons for a marker on a plate. I was thinking more of searching the fixed system post event, like the route of the bank robbers getaway motor for instance.

Just my rambling thoughts, no one who knows will be able to answer here anyway.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 Sep 12 at 19:50
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - Fullchat
Bad choice of photo. Rear of car says DVLA TAX CHECK which is what it is. DVLA not Police. Then it was the Daily Wail.
>> Bad choice of photo. Rear of car says DVLA TAX CHECK which is what it
>> is. DVLA not Police. Then it was the Daily Wail.
>>

I recently saw a DVLA marked van crew clamping cars in a supermarket car park, reading the small print on the van revealed that they were contractors. It is unusual to see wheel clamps in Scotland.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 Sep 12 at 21:29
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - Fullchat
Hmmm. Supermarket car parks are not normally 'roads repairable at public expense' and therefore vehicles do not need tax. Unless of course its different in Scotland. Got to subsidise those free Universities and prescriptions somehow :)
Good scam if it was one. :-) I have seen a couple of cars with DVLA marked clamps up here.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 Sep 12 at 21:37
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - Armel Coussine
Oh God.

Are they after me again?
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - Cliff Pope
>> Oh God.
>>
>> Are they after me again?
>>

Probably, if you look furtive. Don't they have "intelligent" cameras that can spot odd behaviour patterns?
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - Armel Coussine
>> after me again?
>>

>> Probably, if you look furtive.

CCTV makes everyone look furtive.
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - Roger.
Unless SORN has been declared, your car must be taxed and insured wherever it is - even locked up in your garage.
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - L'escargot
Bring it on! The more the merrier! I love having my photograph taken. It's part of my exhibitionist nature.
It's about time you came out of your shell then.

:}
I have just noticed a small article in this weeks Auto Express saying that a tribunal has allowed the police to refuse to disclose the location of the 5,000 fixed ANPR cameras, as large parts of the country are not covered.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Sep 12 at 09:31
This is the design of camera in my area, on main routes, at choke points, (major bridges), and surrounding the airport.

www.no-cctv.org.uk/camera_locations/oxford_congestion_anpr.asp
Looks like something out of War of the Worlds, O/N!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOOOOO
I never realised there was a stage version, or I'd ave gorn and cee'd it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPD-7MeG3E
www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Jeff-Waynes-The-War-of-The-Worlds-tickets/artist/1130228

o2 in December.
Is that anywhere near the eden project?

I'll wait until it comes on the telly.

Thanks anyway ;)
Oh yeah, I forgot your ASBO bars you from Lunun.
 Smile, your photo is being taken. - bathtub tom
He's waiting 'till it comes to the Minack!
The nearest it'll come to Cornwall is Plymouth maybe, and I ain't flipping going there!!
Nah, all them Matelots, rough ole place.
Latest Forum Posts