Motoring Discussion > Breakdown Recovery - Fewer Suppliers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 5

Breakdown Recovery - Fewer Suppliers - Bromptonaut
Berlingo grounded itself yesterday with what turned out to be a corroded alternator cable. Attempted repair unsuccessful due equally corroded state of alternator terminal.

After a longish wait at recovery depot in Sheffield we were realyed home.

Another call this morning to get it to dealer was attended by (as usual) Westbridge Motors Northampton. Operator told us we were more or less his last job as they were closing at end of week. Been in business since 1937.

Apparently the fee paid for recovery has been frozen for six years. No longer viable unless you're doing it as a sideline to more profitable stuff like police uplifts, storage of stolen/recovered cars etc. Indeed, the co in Sheffield had several dozen cars in their warehouse. We were told on no account to cross the barrier for fear of contaminating evidence.

CMG/Cowans are now the dominant operator in Northampton. The other biggie, Freeways of Weedon sold out a few years ago.

Car now sorted and ready for collection. Precautionary replacement of battery advised as it was OE, car is now seven years old and being run down to dead had done it no good.
 Breakdown Recovery - Fewer Suppliers - mikeyb
Not really surprised. Breakdown cover has become an insurance product, so I guess its inevitable that it would be driven in the same direction as bodyshops.

I dont know who has the most recovery vehicles, but on the few occasions I've used the RAC its always been their own guys
 Breakdown Recovery - Fewer Suppliers - No FM2R
Of course the business becomes less and less viable.

Because people are buying on price and so squeezing out both money for good service and money for the overheads of the smaller operation.

Still, last time I said people shopped on price and people won't pay for service the overall feeling seemed to be one of disagreement.

I wonder, therefore, how you would explain the demise opf the smaller player?
 Breakdown Recovery - Fewer Suppliers - John H
>> I wonder, therefore, how you would explain the demise opf the smaller player?
>>

I guess Bromptonaut would like to see the service nationalised, and controlled by the Civil Service, along the lines of the NHS.

Breakdown Recovery - Fewer Suppliers - Bromptonaut
>> I guess Bromptonaut would like to see the service nationalised, and controlled by the Civil
>> Service, along the lines of the NHS.
>>

Not at all. But once it's in the hands of a few big players who oddly all deal on similar terms is the motorist better or worse off?

Look at what the Education minister has said today. Competition between examining bodies plus league tables has led to a 'race to the bottom' in GCSE qualifications. That's actually quite an admission for a free marketeer of Gove's ilk.
 Breakdown Recovery - Fewer Suppliers - John H
>> Look at what the Education minister has said today. Competition between examining bodies plus league
>> tables has led to a 'race to the bottom' in GCSE qualifications. That's actually quite
>> an admission for a free marketeer of Gove's ilk.
>>
>>

Purpose of league tables is to show position in the league. The best schools, usually in the private sector, go to the extent of sitting their pupils for iGCSE and IB exams to differentiate themselves from the dross of state schools GCSE exams.

Purpose of examination boards is to get more business for themselves. If they don't do that, they fail.

Maintaining qualifications standards is the job of a state sector body, Ofqual, which, as you imply, has failed abysmally to prevent the "race to the bottom" by state schools seeking easier exams for their pupils.

www.ofqual.gov.uk/ "Ofqual. We regulate qualifications, examinations and assessments in England and vocational qualifications in Northern Ireland. It is our duty to ensure all learners get the results they deserve and that their qualifications are correctly valued and understood, now and in the future."

>> Not at all. But once it's in the hands of a few big players who oddly all deal on similar terms is the motorist better or worse off? >>

Nature of competition - prices and quality tend to equalise unless the players decide to differentiate on basis of service.

Last edited by: John H on Mon 17 Sep 12 at 21:24
Latest Forum Posts