Motoring Discussion > Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 37

Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - Fenlander
Always quite liked the current Mazda 6 so happened to click on this promo video for the launch of the new model.

What a brilliant video and music... I hope Ray Davies is pleased if he's heard it.

Big monitor, click on full screen 1080HD and engage the sub... very impressive. Car looks OK too.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0VAI8XzHyWs

Did someone on here run a Mazda 6 until recently? Quite fancy one now.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 18 Sep 12 at 11:15
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - Zero
Yeah RTJ had one, he was pleased it was on a company scheme, given the agro he had with the DPF system.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - Focusless
>> What a brilliant video and music...

Certainly better than those awful 'zoom zoom' ads. I'm guessing they've changed their agency.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - rtj70
I had the original Mazda6 and it was a nice car. I never said I had a problem with the DPF. I had concerns over oil levels rising due to the DPF regeneration process in the car and therefore got the lease company to do oil changes between the services because I didn't want to be liable for any damage.

I quite like the look of the new Mazda6 - I would certainly consider it when the current car I have is up for renewal. Not as striking as the concept mind but still a nice car in my opinion.
Good video by the way. I would seriously consider another Mazda6. It should be a lot cheaper than my current car too depending on how the Yen to GBP goes.
Interesting. I'm just wondering about taking the current (ie soon to be old shape) model on lease (the C5 lease ends soon). The current Mazda 6 is being "dumped" on the lease market at £150/mth less than the comparable Mondeo.
>> I had the original Mazda6 and it was a nice car. I never said I
>> had a problem with the DPF. I had concerns over oil levels rising due to
>> the DPF regeneration process in the car and therefore got the lease company to do
>> oil changes between the services because I didn't want to be liable for any damage.

Oh? worried about damage but no problem as long as I am not liable?

Welcome to the world of the company car.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 18 Sep 12 at 11:55
The oil changes avoided any problems. Initially they didn't want to do an oil change so I said that's fine as long as if something happened then I'd not be liable. They wouldn't/couldn't agree to that so I pointed out that an oil change should be done then.... in the end they agreed as it was a circular argument.

If it was my car I'd have done the oil change. Because the mileage was low, the car didn't even have the number of services you might expect. The Passat CC I have now will probably have one service in 3 years.

Back to the outgoing, soon to be old shape Mazda6, I understand they improved the DPF compared to the original car and it needed to regenerate half as often and it was twice as fast. As long as you keep an eye on the oil levels I would imagine it would be fine.

Also the engine in the current (soon to be old) Mazda6 is different to the one I had. Mine was a 2.0d and the current is a 2.2d.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - DP
>> Oh? worried about damage but no problem as long as I am not liable?
>>
>> Welcome to the world of the company car.

The oil level rising was a well documented design fault on these cars. I would argue by getting intermediate oil changes done, rtj was more conscientious than even a lot of private owners would have been.

What should he have done? Refuse to drive the car?
I wouldn't say "its not a problem" I would say its crap design.
rtj how did you find the Mazda ride/refinement compared to the Passat?
I should perhaps compare what I thought of the Mazda6 2.0d Sport (the first model of Mazda6 and not the curreent outgoing one) to the Mondeo 2.0TDCi Ghia I had before it. And then compare to the Passat CC.

Ride/comfort: Mazda6 with sports seats was much more comfortable for me and my wife. My wife got back ache after a reasonably lengthy journey in the Mondeo but not the Mazda6. Both cars had 16" wheels.

Handling: I'd say the Mazda6 and Mondeo were about the same as each other.

Performance: Although the Mondeo 2.0TDCi was said to have more like 150PS rather than the official 130PS, I'd say the Mazda6 2.0d 143PS was more refined and a bit more powerful. In the real world... about the same as each other.

Quality of interior: I'd say the Mazda6 had a slight edge for me in terms of ergonomics and maybe even quality. Don't get me wrong it was not a premium interior by an means (no Audi) but I prefered it to the Mondeo. The Mondeo had a lot of cheap feeling plastic. And although minor, take the cruise control buttons... easy to use on the Mazda6 but I always had to glance at the wheel on the Mondeo.. So I didn't use them on the Mondeo much so I never did learn where they were by touch alone.

Practicality: Both about the same size. Mazda6 had excellent Karakuri folding seats. Release the lever and the seat folded down but the seat base also moved so the load area was totally flat. Could release the seat from the boot or on the seat back.

Reliability: Ignoring the stupid design of the DPF regeneration (which I think was avoided on the newer 2.2d), the problems I had on the Mazda6 were: (1) a leaking damper, fixed under warranty, (2) approaching 4 years the gearbox was sometimes difficult to get into first and second gears and this was looked at and 'fixed' but then the gears were horrible compared to how the car was up until the problems arose. Another attempt of tightening and adjusting seemed to fix it and then I got the Passat.

On the other hand the Mondeo had loads of problems over 4 years and included two failed EGR valves (one failure stopped the car literally whilst I was driving), lock mechanism on the hatch broke and would not lock, clutch (wear item I know), and a few items I can't recall. Not the most reliable car but broke down only once (EGR).

Now comparing the Mazda6 with the Passat CC isn't such a fair contest. Whilst the Mazda6 and Mondeo cost about the same (£19k) the Passat CC was £29k (but is higher spec including leather, sat nav, adaptive dampers, etc). So:

- Passat CC rides on 18" wheels but I have adaptive dampers and so the ride is actually better than the Mondeo and Mazda6, even if set to sport. That's my opinion anyway.

- Handling - I'd say the Mondeo and Mazda6 were probably better but then I don't chuck it around on A and B roads much. On motorways no difference of course.

- Comfort - the nappa leather seats (heated and cooled) in the Passat CC are the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car. No contest. And then you have the heating and cooling too.

- Performance - The Passat CC has 170PS so unsurprisingly is faster and the engine more flexible.

- Reliability - nothing gone wrong on the Passat CC yet and I will have had it 12 months soon.

- Quality of interior - Passat CC is much better but it is much more expensive. Having said that a Passat saloon or estate is the same and cheaper.

- Practicality - not missed a hatch yet but not been to the tip much! Boot is huge. Mondeo had a heated windscreen which was also missed in the Mazda6 in those cold winters. I should have had some form of heated windscreen in the Passat but the order got messed up.
Excellent detail thanks rtj... also by chance comparing it to cars I'm familiar with (albeit the saloon version of your CC).

If the 6 is still on the lease dumping ground around mid Nov when we order I will give it serious consideration.
>> Excellent detail thanks rtj... also by chance comparing it to cars I'm familiar with (albeit
>> the saloon version of your CC).
>>
>> If the 6 is still on the lease dumping ground around mid Nov when we
>> order I will give it serious consideration.

There are some good deals on Transits, all the sizes in all the colours.
>>>good deals on Transits, all the sizes in all the colours.

Even if I needed one I'd park it down someone else's street.
The build quality of the Passat is much better than the first generation Mazda6 - not that anything fell off or broke as such. Thinking more about the interior. The Passat is nicer. The Passat CC GT with leather sports seats will be nicer than a Passat S saloon.

If I were you I'd wander to a Mazda dealer to check the current shape out. There will probably be a few sat in a field unwanted. One difference between Mazda and VW is the latter will allow you to select lots of options for the build - that was not really an option for the Mazda6. You can select colour, possibly change the wheels (not sure if that's possible on a factory order), add sat nav... that was about it when I was ordering. A factory order Passat you could change the seat material, colour, wheels, stereo/sat-nav, add climate to the seats, heated windscreen, reversing camera, auto parking, .... a lot of options.

Of course by November there might not be any old Mazda6's left. When I got mine in October 2007 I had the lease company order it in the July and it sat at the dealer waiting. No new orders were possible because it was when the current Mazda6 came out - just after my car was due for replacement.

Personally I'd check out the spec of the new 6.... that looks a better car.
>>>Personally I'd check out the spec of the new 6.... that looks a better car.

Yes I'd normally give that sort of advice but the new 6 is a saloon not a hatch so that makes it of no use to us. Also the new one will no doubt be at comparable price to a Mondeo for a while so I'd rather have the old one at a £100-£150/mth saving.

I also like the fact that the old one blends into the background well... it's not my thing to have a statement car. They are doing a version called the businessline at the moment with integrated satnav/bluetooth and other extras that suit me matching closely the VTR+NAV version of my current C5 which is another reason to consider them.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 18 Sep 12 at 16:34
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - Focusless
>> I hope Ray Davies is pleased if he's heard it.

If you like it raw: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWNwHof0kc
Like it... still have the single!

Kinks had a great raw sound which has been well reflected in the advert's edgy string sound.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - Londoner
The Mazda 6 saloon is a lovely looking car which is complemented by an excellent and well-matched video.

The Estate variant doesn't have the same visual appeal, being rather "generic" looking to fit the modern Estate Car (or "Sports Tourer") market.

In hatchback form (not being offered, I know), this would be a serious contender for "My Next Car". Such a shame. Still, I don't think Mazda will worry about the odd lost sale, when many more new customers will probably be drawn to this handsome new car.
>>>In hatchback form (not being offered, I know)

Yes that's why, as well as the seriously good deals, I'd consider a current model to get the hatch.
Mazda are offering 0%VAT on selected models at the moment.
www.mazda.co.uk/showroom/offers/
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - henry k
Some Mazda PR from the USA.

Seeking to create better fuel economy, lower emissions, and outstanding driving performance, Mazda engineers rethought the automobile from the ground up. SKYACTIV is ultimately technology that is applied to Mazda cars but more important, SKYACTIV is a philosophy. In an age where car manufacturers are throwing more and more weight into cars and then trying to add back efficiency with hybrid drivetrains, Mazda took a clean-sheet approach. The company decided to rethink 100 years of the combustion engine to figure out how every bit of efficiency could be gained without compromising safety and driving satisfaction. It was an "AND" approach: How do we gain mileage AND power? How do we decrease weight AND increase rigidity?

SKYACTIV, the ultimate factory tuning: A complete rethink of every component to remove unnecessary weight and increase efficiency.

"Mazda tweaked the heck out of internal-combustion processes that have been in place for more than 100 years, coming up with solutions that make you wonder why no one else has done this stuff."
—AutoWeek | August 2011

The Mazda6 is actually the second car that was entirely built with the SKYACTIV philosophy; the first was the 2013 CX-5 debuted last year. Coupled with Mazda's "jinbai ittai" philosophy (horse and rider perfectly in sync), Mazda is not only building lighter, more efficient cars, they are also producing cars that are designed to heighten the connection between man and machine.

The philosophy results in new technologies such as the i-ELOOP capacitor-based regenerative braking system that removes alternator power drain, a first-of-its-kind 6-speed auto transmission that has both a clutch and a torque converter (with rev-matched downshifts that are faster than a dual-clutch transmission), and engines that produce more torque while delivering significant gains in mileage. SKYACTIV technology enabled the Mazda CX-5 to have the best highway MPG of any SUV in America — including hybrids.

With the Mazda6, Mazda's engineers sought to increase low-end torque by 15% while getting 15% better fuel economy from the same engine. This was achieved, in part, by creating a dome-shaped piston that increases the compression ratio, yet also aides in improving fuel atomization. The slight temperature drop from expanding fuel increases allows more pressure to be built through compression, and burns more completely, for improved power and reduced emissions.

Other extreme examples of the SKYACTIV philosophy are shorter bolts, brackets with holes drilled in them to reduce weight without compromising strength, a windshield that is both lighter AND quieter, lightweight foam for chassis reinforcement, and the use of 4-2-1 headers, ultra high compression pistons, direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, and low-friction engine internals. Even the positioning of the keyhole cylinder was rethought to reduce just a few precious grams of weight.

By obsessively analyzing everything, Mazda engineers were able to make more than just incremental improvements. The new Mazda6 is significantly lighter and stiffer, and more powerful yet more efficient than the previous model it replaces. Taking cues from professional racing, Mazda's engineers introduced details that only true enthusiasts can truly appreciate, but everyone can enjoy.

mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/skyactiv_LA.action?campId=16555&providertag=MazdaMedia&servicetag=MZ6_BTG_NATL

Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - Auntie Lockbrakes
The Mazda 6 beats the Mondeo in to a cocked hat in these parts. Huge (by NZ standards!) company car fleet sales achieved.
Dear, Mazda,

I'm impressed by all the technology and attention to detail in the new Mazda 6. Admittedly, as someone who has always liked Mazda you were pushing against an open door in my case anyway - but that doesn't devalue your achievements.

Now please put aside your thoughts on all the new stuff that you've been working with, AND TRY TO REMEMBER HOW TO BUILD A FREAKIN' HATCHBACK!

Yours sincerely,
A frustrated Londoner.

I'd forgotten the ad I linked when starting this thread 10wks ago. Just watched it again... truly excellent. www.car4play.com/redirect.php?http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0VAI8XzHyWs

Like Londoner I find the lack of a hatch is so frustrating. However now I've decided to defer a replacement new car for a few months the new 6 will be in the showrooms which will give me a chance to see if we could possibly manage with the 4dr.

Similarly the new/updated Golf, Vauxhall Mokka, Kia Sportage, Honda CRV and other 2013 models should be more commonplace in the dealers to have a good look round those too. I've asked about a couple of the aforementioned in the dealers and the attitude seems to be the new model will be so good you should order without seeing/driving one and be grateful they might be willing to consider you for one of the first few to hit the dealers.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 29 Nov 12 at 09:37
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - Clk Sec
>>Like Londoner I find the lack of a hatch is so frustrating.

It is surprising when you think that the current Mazda6 hatchback has been vastly more popular in the UK than either the saloon or estate. And a little frustrating for buyers like myself who are looking to replace their ageing hatchbacks, but find there is not really a lot of choice in that particular size range.

Perhaps it's something to do with hatchbacks being less popular across the pond.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - Shiny
They could have used a real Mazda car instead of CGI, just look at 0:52- pause the play it looks like a 00's computer game advert.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Thu 29 Nov 12 at 20:30
As I understand it the old Mazda 6 was used for filming (covered with CGI markers) and then the new model was substituted digitally.

Edit: Found this pic...

stwot.motortrend.com/files/2012/09/2012-Mazda6-pair-at-Bonneville-1024x640.jpg
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 29 Nov 12 at 21:22
For the current model Mazda6, I think they dropped the saloon because it was not selling well. And for the new one they drop the hatch and have a saloon. Odd really.

No reason it couldn't have been a hatch and looked the way it does. I could live with a saloon (I've got one again now) and will seriously consider the new Mazda6 when I am choosing my next car providing it has a quality interior, is comfortable and a fair price.
>> For the current model Mazda6, I think they dropped the saloon because it was not
>> selling well. And for the new one they drop the hatch and have a saloon.
>> Odd really.
>>
Yes, odd. Mazda are not stupid - far from it. They must have a reason. What can it be?

Is it to push people into buying the more expensive (slightly) estate?

Snag with that idea is that the estate looks pretty much like it's main competitors, so if you are considering an estate then the buyer has more choice. The Mazda doesn't stand out very much, IMHO.

OTOH the saloon looks very handsome, and doesn't have many competitors. If they made it a hatch then it would significantly undercut the Audi A5 on price, and offer greater practicality than its other main rival the VW Passat CC (or whatever it is called now).
>>They must have reasons. What can it be?
>> buying the more expensive (slightly) estate
>>Snag with that idea is that the estate looks pretty much like it's main competitors, so if you are considering an estate then the buyer has more choice.
>>OTOH the saloon looks very handsome,

I think that I read somewhere that Mazda have carried out research into folk like me who have owned hatchbacks over the years, and their results indicated that the majority of these vehicles were only being fully utilised for their purpose on just one occasion each year.

So, for the majority of us it's a sleek and attractive saloon on offer, with a few £'s to spare for the annual Van 'n Man hire, leaving the minority to mull over the benefits of the LEC.

Actually, they may have a point.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 13:24
>> I think that I read somewhere that Mazda have carried out research into folk like
>> me who have owned hatchbacks over the years, and their results indicated that the majority
>> of these vehicles were only being fully utilised for their purpose on just one occasion
>> each year.
>>
>> So, for the majority of us it's a sleek and attractive saloon on offer, with
>> a few £'s to spare for the annual Van 'n Man hire, leaving the minority
>> to mull over the benefits of the LEC.
>>
>> Actually, they may have a point.
>>
Well, yes, then do. I suppose that I am a small minority, whereby the hatchback option fits my lifesytle perfectly. As for hiring a van, it isn't always convenient when Mrs L has seen a bargain from a shop that is too far away to deliver, and which won't fit in a saloon . . .

Cars should be as capable, safe and efficient as we can make them. The argument that "this feature is seldom used" is no argument at all. On that basis we would bother fitting airbags, or spare tyres . . . . . . . Oh! wait!

Last edited by: Londoner on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 22:44
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - Fursty Ferret
>> >>They must have reasons. What can it be?
>> >> buying the more expensive (slightly) estate
>> >>Snag with that idea is that the estate looks pretty much like it's main competitors,
>> so if you are considering an estate then the buyer has more choice.
>> >>OTOH the saloon looks very handsome,
>>
>> I think that I read somewhere that Mazda have carried out research into folk like
>> me who have owned hatchbacks over the years, and their results indicated that the majority
>> of these vehicles were only being fully utilised for their purpose on just one occasion
>> each year.
>>
>> So, for the majority of us it's a sleek and attractive saloon on offer, with
>> a few £'s to spare for the annual Van 'n Man hire, leaving the minority
>> to mull over the benefits of the LEC.
>>
>> Actually, they may have a point.
>>

It's a beautiful car from the outside. Agree with the point above but to add that the moment you realise that [INSERT BULKY ITEM HERE] won't fit through the hole into the boot is generally when you're by yourself, in a dark car park, in the pouring rain.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - New Mazda 6 video - Excellent - henry k
Here’s the first look at the new diesel-powered racecar being prepped for the Rolex 24 endurance race on January 26-27, 2013, in Daytona Beach, FL.

tinyurl.com/cjnh3f4
>> Here’s the first look at the new diesel-powered racecar being prepped for the Rolex 24
>> endurance race on January 26-27, 2013, in Daytona Beach, FL.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/cjnh3f4
>>
Wicked! Love the red trim on the wheels.
>> >> Here’s the first look at the new diesel-powered racecar being prepped for the Rolex
>> 24
>> >> endurance race on January 26-27, 2013, in Daytona Beach, FL.
>> >>
>> >> tinyurl.com/cjnh3f4

Is it a hatchback?
No use to me if it isn't.
Latest Forum Posts