Motoring Discussion > Tree roots cracking up driveway Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 6

Tree roots cracking up driveway - Ambo
A neighbour's tree, which looks like a species of yew, has invasive roots which are causing cracks in my driveway and evidenlty marching on my house. The surface needs replacing anyway and I though to get the contractor to cut a narrow trench of sufficient depth along the party wall, sever the roots and remove small pieces of them (to make sure of a clean break) and backfill the trench with cement to prevent futher invasion, before dealing with the new surface. Has anyone experienced this type of trouble and can suggest other solutions please, short of removing or poisoning the tree?
 Tree roots cracking up driveway - No FM2R
I had this with a yew tree in my own garden.

Firstly, mine was registered and protected, so you do have to be careful, I;d check that first.

Secondly get a tree surgeon, not a general contractor. Yew trees can be tricky. You'll need to speak to your neighbour about it.
 Tree roots cracking up driveway - Dulwich Estate
If you sever the roots of the neighbour's tree and it becomes unstable then you could be in deep doodoo - although the scenario is unlikely and it probably won't become instable.

Should you go ahead then install a root barrier - basically a trench with a special long-lasting plastic sheet in it that will not rot. Concrete cracks and lets them through.

Your buildings insurers might want to know and they might write a stroppy letter to your neighbour "putting him on notice" that his actions, more relevantly inactions, regarding tree pruning are causing damage to the drive and potentially to the drains and house.

You probably would no longer be on good terms with him after this though.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Thu 20 Sep 12 at 19:59
 Tree roots cracking up driveway - CGNorwich
As already mentioned do check whether the tree is subject to a preservation order. Damaging such a tree can get you a £50,000 fine!

Plastic root barrier is what you need:

www.best4garden.co.uk/shop/catalog/details?shop_param=
 Tree roots cracking up driveway - Dutchie
Can't see a plastic root barrier stopping roots of a tree.I had a neighbours conifers trees lifting my shed.When they moved I took all the conifers out (hard work) The place is rented out so the landlord didn't care.
 Tree roots cracking up driveway - Ambo
Thanks for these warnings, and apologies for using the wrong forum.
 Tree roots cracking up driveway - R.P.
>> Thanks for these warnings, and apologies for using the wrong forum.
>>

No worries - vaguely car connected....
Latest Forum Posts