Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 42

Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Fursty Ferret
Approaching car swapping time and have my eye on the Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer, which seems a fair price and comes with an excellent spec for the money compared to the comparable VAGs (especially the "Elite Nav" variant).

I get about 10% off the list price through work and can probably negotiate another 3-4% given I'm planning on Vauxhall's 0% finance.

However, it appears that a 2013 version is due out soon, so with a 12 week build time should I hold fire for the 2013 model or push for a bigger discount on this year's?

Buying a new car is novel experience so any advice appreciated. This purchase will be to own given the lifetime warranty, not farting around with PCP like the BMW.

Also - test drives. Vauxhall offer a 3 day test drive to company car buyers. Why can't I get the same?
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Runfer D'Hills
OK, you're a young bloke, in a sexy well paid job. WTF would you want a Vauxhall?

Just curious you understand...

:-)
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - sooty123
>> OK, you're a young bloke, in a sexy well paid job.

A 15 year old corsa would be more the course, if our lot are anything to go by.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Manatee
>> OK, you're a young bloke, in a sexy well paid job. WTF would you want
>> a Vauxhall?
>>
>> Just curious you understand...
>>
>> :-)

He's an airline pilot. He's fighting 'em off anyway. He's after a crumpet repeller. My Outlander seems to work, he could look at one of those.
Oh OK, I understand now. Get a beige one FF. That should do the trick.

>> OK, you're a young bloke, in a sexy well paid job. WTF would you want
>> a Vauxhall?
>>
>> Just curious you understand...
>>
>> :-)
>>

Being a cheapskate comes naturally. :-)

Besides, what would you recommend? I want a car that I can relax in and enjoy after an intensely stressful day (and if you haven't done this job you can't understand the stress involved) and the Insignia ticks the boxes.

The BMW looks good (as does the Insignia) but drinks fuel, is sparsely equipped, crashes over potholes and is useless in anything resembling snow.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Kevin
>I want a car that I can relax in and enjoy after an intensely stressful day..

An Insignia?!

You need a 1yo or ex-demo XF.

Switch on the auto-cruise and put your feet up, just like the Airbus.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Lygonos
>> Switch on the auto-cruise and put your feet up, just like the Airbus

Not sure if it's an urban myth, but I recall the tale of a chap who bought a new car, set the cruise control, then climbed into the back for a kip....

*EDIT* - a quick peek at snopes.com suggests it is indeed myth :-)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 21:25
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - oilburner
Careful with Vauxhalls. The 2013 spec may be lower than the 2012. Check very carefully!

I've been caught out with this a couple of times.

As for the test drive, have you asked to see if they can do anything for you? Can't hurt.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - WillDeBeest
Talk to l'Es about the destressing properties of the Volvo V40. I used to have to drive 85 miles home after a day's work, and a Volvo seat would still be my first-choice perch for that task. Volvo music systems are the bee's elbows too.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Zero
After driving the poverty spec company 737, surely you can treat yourself to a little luxury?
>> After driving the poverty spec company 737, surely you can treat yourself to a little
>> luxury?
>>

I'll have you know I fly the Airbus. Poverty spec though it may be, it's nothing compared to the clapped out 737.
>> >> After driving the poverty spec company 737, surely you can treat yourself to a
>> little
>> >> luxury?
>> >>
>>
>> I'll have you know I fly the Airbus. Poverty spec though it may be, it's
>> nothing compared to the clapped out 737.

Blimey, worse than I thought. The company poverty spec previa. I would definitely want something special.

Yeah, not a bad suggestion if he works for Queasyjet or Leprechaun-air but if it's a "proper" airline the car needs to be German or at the very least Italian.

Vauxhall? Sheesh !

14% off an Insignia? You're being ripped off mate.

Here's nearly 10 grand off a Elite Nav CDTi auto - tinyurl.com/insignia-estate-auto

ps. I bought my Shogun through these guys and it was entirely painless - even got a decent P/X valuation without them even seeing my car (I was honest on the online P/X form of course!)

Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 20:58
>> 14% off an Insignia? You're being ripped off mate.
>>
>> Here's nearly 10 grand off a Elite Nav CDTi auto - tinyurl.com/insignia-estate-auto
>>
>>
>>

Thanks lygonos, but I work on the if-it-seems-too-good-to-be-true principle here...
My Shogun was 29 grand (list 36 and went up to 38 while I was waiting for it).

The original NCD.com went into administration some years ago and were bought up by their main creditor (Auto Union Finance I think) and appear to have been doing well since.

I had a look in their order book when I picked up my Shogun from their premises and noted about 5 or 6 sales per day - that was Jan 2011 so I can't really say how they're doing just now!

They're also doing good prices for Volvos just now.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 21:02
Check out www.drivethedeal.com also - very well regarded company, especially if you're not chopping in - they put you in contact with a UK dealer who basically sells to you the same as any other private buyer.

They don't do Vauxhalls though :-)

On their special offers page they have some Audi A6 Avants for 27-28 grand.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 21:06
>> Thanks lygonos, but I work on the if-it-seems-too-good-to-be-true principle here...

www.reviewcentre.com/reviews113594.html
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - mikeyb
FF - the insignia is being dumped on hire fleets in vast numbers so value very carefully.

I know that you thought that one of the discounts offered was to good to be true, but a quick Google reveals other dealers offering 8+K off for new unregistered models.

15 - 18K will get you a less than 12 month old network Q model, so broadly 50% depreciation in 12 months
FF - is your discount through the partners programe? If so its a crap offering - we get it through work, but I've yet to find anyone who cant get a better deal just walking into the local dealers
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - VxFan
>> Here's nearly 10 grand off a Elite Nav CDTi auto - tinyurl.com/insignia-estate-auto

But that deal only comes with a 3 year warranty, not Vauxhall's "lifetime" warranty (10 years / 100,000 miles)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 00:57
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - No FM2R
>>Vauxhall offer a 3 day test drive to company car buyers. Why can't I get the same?

For real? Because you buy one new car every 3 or 4 years and company car buyers buy 2.3 gazilllion a day. Bleeding obvoius really.

You will wait forever for the greatest deal, best spec, tomorrow's model etc. etc. Why do you care what model year it is?

1. Decide the car you want
2. Get the best deal for *that* car, irrespective of its model year.

And as to how to get the best deal, then search for a post from me a few weeks ago;

1. A car which is actually on the premises.
2. A car which has been on the premises for a few weeks (min 3).
3. A car which is likely to suffer a value drop (impending new model)
4. A car supplied by the garage you are paying, not from another branch.
5. Buy it in Wk3 of the fiscal month, take delivery in the 4th week.
6. And buy it from the dumbest, most useless sales man on the lot. He won't be anywhere near his figures.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - legacylad
the Insignia is useless in snow. I have personal experience of my ex's Ecoflex.
Whereas my 330 on Michelin Alpins just laughed at the white stuff. Within reason.
Massive devaluation. Its the time of year to start looking for a nice cabrio methinks.
A 350Z springs to mind.
I'd wager an Insignia wearing Alpins would be as good as a 330 wearing Potenzas would be crap.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - legacylad
Absolutely.
I leave them on all year
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Dave_
I've seen a lot of 62 plate Insignias, not with rental car stickers on the back either. Someone's ordering plenty of them.

FWIW Fursty Ferret, the Insignia Tourer is a nice car IMO although the view out of the back window is rather tunnel-like. The electronic displays seem a bit cheap to me too, but then so does the one in the equivalent Mondeo. Overall it's good enough, I say go for it if the figures stack up.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Pat
Don't think FF needs to look out of the rear window Dave...if you and I can reverse on mirrors alone and FF can reverse an airbus, then he'll be fine;)

What fun we could have reversing an airbus:)

Pat
>> I've seen a lot of 62 plate Insignias, not with rental car stickers on the
>> back either. Someone's ordering plenty of them.
>>

I keep getting them through Europcar. Don't thing they have anything on them to identify them as rentals. IIRC they always have registrations starting DY or DV
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Avant
I want a car that I can relax in and enjoy after an intensely stressful day (and if you haven't done this job you can't understand the stress involved) and the Insignia ticks the boxes."

For relaxation go for an Audi or Volvo - same boxes ticked without quite such horrendous depreciation than you'll suffer if you buy a new Vauxhall.
>>(and if you haven't done this job you can't understand the stress involved)

Which job?
the references to 737s and Airbus's not a clue?

Do Keep up dear.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 23:08
Sorry Timothy.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - VxFan
>> have my eye on the Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer

A what?

Do you mean an Insignia estate ;)
One doesn't use the word "estate" in this day and age...
You do if its more than 100 acres.

or of course if there is a burnt out car down the end of the road.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Clk Sec
>>One doesn't use the word "estate" in this day and age...

I quite agree; 'development' is a much nicer word.

As for the Insignia, I would wait until the new model is released. Then pick one up for a bargain price.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 09:39
I think he lives in a "gated community"?

Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Clk Sec
I think we were all going to be invited for afternoon tea.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - WillDeBeest
I think he lives in a "gated community".

Like the one Jeffrey Archer went to?
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Slightlyfatdirector
I would have a quick squint at Motorpoint's site. A good range of Insignia 'sport tourers' on there and a good company to deal with (I bought one of our employees an Insignia hatch from there about 3 months ago. Saved a huge ammount off list and he has got an immaculate car that he is very pleased with).

I can't help thinking that with this type of car (knowing the savage depreciation in year one) that it would be hard to countenance buying new. At least with me anyway. FF can spend his money as he likes, but my teeth would itch if I lost £10-15k in a year.....
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - madf
Vauxhall ?

Wait till GM Europe start closing plants and are desperate to sell stuff.

Ooops they are..tinyurl.com/br4g4zl

Buying cars from companies in severe financial doodoo is not the way to ensure good after sales service nor a good trade in price.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Buy now or wait? - Dulwich Estate
If you are considering an Insignia, I wonder if you have you looked at the Hyundai i40 Tourer. Pretty impressive for the money. Good reports too.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 00:16
Latest Forum Posts