Motoring Discussion > Doubling up high sided vehicles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 21

Doubling up high sided vehicles - BobbyG
I heard on the travel report tonight that the Forth Road Bridge is closed to high sided vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.

I remember not that long ago the reports would have said that high sided vehicles were being doubled up as they crossed the bridge.

When did this stop? Did it actually prevent one being blown over? Assume it just meant you got blown into the other vehicle and then bounced back?

Anyone got any experience of being in this situation?

Assume modern H&S and blame culture took over?
 Doubling up high sided vehicles - -
I've never been doubled up, but would assume a heavily laden vehicle, which is not going over, would travel on the windward side and a light high sider would run alongside in the lee.

Be an interesting conversation with 15 different languages being spoken at the bridge marshalling point.
 Doubling up high sided vehicles - Runfer D'Hills
Ah so that's why trucks drive alongside each other at pretty much the same speed for mile after interminable blinking mile on the motorway causing huge tailbacks then? Got it now. All forgiven.

:-)
 Doubling up high sided vehicles - Kevin
>Ah so that's why trucks drive alongside each other..

Like cyclists you mean?

;-)
Don't you start !

Doubling up high sided vehicles - Old Navy
This link gives you the wind speeds for the various restrictions and a past and current wind speed.

www.forthroadbridge.org/weather
 Doubling up high sided vehicles - L'escargot
>> >Ah so that's why trucks drive alongside each other..
>>
>> Like cyclists you mean?

And like horse riders?
;-)
 Doubling up high sided vehicles - Robin O'Reliant
>> Ah so that's why trucks drive alongside each other at pretty much the same speed
>> for mile after interminable blinking mile on the motorway causing huge tailbacks then? Got it
>> now. All forgiven.
>>
>> :-)
>>
I think I can hear the cylinder on PDA's Colt 45 spinning.
I know, I like to provide the bullets...

Doubling up high sided vehicles - Pat
We only do that so car drivers have a chance to see just how relaxing it is to drive at 56MPH for mile upon mile.....

Pat
 Doubling up high sided vehicles - Zero
I have a knitted doll of a truck driver hanging on the mirror, when i am stuck behind the elephants racing I stick pins in it.

Doubling up high sided vehicles - MD
I can post you some spare 6" nails Zeddo.
 Doubling up high sided vehicles - Harleyman
>> We only do that so car drivers have a chance to see just how relaxing
>> it is to drive at 56MPH for mile upon mile.....
>>

I've noticed that it seems to be catching on in the car community; I just wish they'd use the inside lane not the middle one though! ;-)
I see someone's sense of humour has gone out of the window this morning by the offensive face:)

Pat
Wasn't me Miss !

I know....at least you can take it as well as give it;)

Pat
>> Wasn't me Miss !
>>
>> :-)

You pathetic creep
I want to be a prefect.

Doubling up high sided vehicles - PhilW
"how relaxing it is to drive at 56MPH for mile upon mile"

You're lucky Pat. All our (small) transporters seem to be stuck on 53 or 54 hence the frustration of being stuck behind all those cars doing 52 and at the same time being overtaken by all you speedsters doing 56!! All the way up to Aberdeen yesterday and back today!
Incidentally, just watched the news - seems to have been some awful flooding and holdups on the roads but, although it rained heavily and blew a gale at times (especially last night when it was hammering on the cab roof!!) I had a clear run up and down except for a slight holdup on M6 (Knutsford to M62 junction) going North yesterday aft. So, 54mph all the way!
Kept my eyes open for floods and except for the odd swollen stream, occasional flooded field, and some short bits of road with big puddles I didn't see much - lucky I guess?
Think you chose the right side of the country, it was the east side that copped it. The east coat main line was cut in Northumberland.
 Doubling up high sided vehicles - Harleyman
A truck-driving friend of mine posted a pic of a very flooded Wigan tonight, prompting me to comment that it must be the first time you could actually sail to Wigan Pier.
 Doubling up high sided vehicles - No FM2R
No wonder a couple of dozen of them shot off down to London tonight - which turned out pretty well.
Latest Forum Posts