Motoring Discussion > Another lucky trucker escapes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 9

Another lucky trucker escapes - henry k
www.autoevolution.com/news/extremely-lucky-truck-driver-lands-on-his-feet-after-accident-video-49780.html
 Another lucky trucker escapes - Westpig
Wouldn't want his dry cleaning bill?
 Another lucky trucker escapes - Pat
It's opened debate on most lorry driving forums about whether or not it's better to wear a seat belt in a lorry.

Disregard the fact it's illegal not to;)

I don't because I never have and it means I can't reach the sunvisor, tacho or often the radio.
Ian always does because he always has done.

We agree to differ, but few old lorry drivers wear them on multi drops.

Pat
 Another lucky trucker escapes - Westpig
>> It's opened debate on most lorry driving forums about whether or not it's better to
>> wear a seat belt in a lorry.

In this particular accident a seatbelt would have been fine. He'd have stayed in the cab.
 Another lucky trucker escapes - Harleyman
I confess to being one who resisted it, partly for the reasons stated by Pat, but now do so as a matter of course.

It does help that lorry seat belts seem to be better ergonomically designed today than they were when they first came out. Earlier models seemed to be more designed to garrotte the driver than save him in the event of a crash. They can still be a damn nuisance when you're trying to ease out of an angled junction and have to lean well forward to see round the blind spot created by the nearside mirror (which on Volvo's seems to have been copied from a wardrobe) but that's a poor reason for not wearing one. If the inertia reel sticks I just flip the catch, do the manoeuvre then re-fasten the belt.

Incidentally, Mrs HM as you may know drives a service bus, in which seat belts are not yet mandatory as I understand. As a lifelong belt wearer she confesses to finding this somewhat ridiculous given the amount of glass at the front of most buses.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 25 Sep 12 at 23:25
 Another lucky trucker escapes - Ted

My lovely eldest daughter, the paramedic, just will not wear a seat belt in her own car.
You'd think she would have more sense. Many years of Mumdadnagging have come to nought.

Ted
 Another lucky trucker escapes - Zero
I often don't wear one, I have lost count of the number of cop cars that have gone by where they have glanced at me not wearing it and just carried on.

I must have an honest face.
 Another lucky trucker escapes - Duncan
>> I must have an honest face.
>>

The kind of face only a mother could love.
 Another lucky trucker escapes - Zero
and I dont even have a fast car to compensate...
 Another lucky trucker escapes - IJWS14
Would he have been so lucky if the vehicle filming had been going a couple of MPH faster . .

You are generally safer in the cab.

My father was always an advocate of wearing, he attended too many accidents where people died because they were not wearing them.
Latest Forum Posts