Motoring Discussion > Britain's most annoying motorists Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 51

Britain's most annoying motorists - Manatee
Another 'survey', from Admiral.

goo.gl/6xosu

I conclude that most people are irritated by just about everybody.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - neiltoo
Pretty much, in my case.

8o)
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Pat
Can I just point out that lorry drivers are 15% below cyclists:)

Pat

*walks away whistling*
>> Can I just point out that lorry drivers are 15% below cyclists:)
>>
>> Pat
>>
>> *walks away whistling*

That just shows what a load of cobblers it is :-)
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Dog
The article fails to mention orse drivers, dropping a 'pile' on the road outside my property is a tad annoying.

:)
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Focusless
>> The article fails to mention orse drivers, dropping a 'pile' on the road outside my
>> property is a tad annoying.

But good for the roses?
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Dog
>>But good for the roses?<<

So and so really, better on Quality Street.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Ted

I think our hovel must have an invisible beam across the road that triggers horse's bowels.
Even though we're in the city, the police stables are round the corner.

They don't seem to hold it in until they're past us.

It's good on rhubarb as well....although we prefer custard on ours.

Ted
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Duncan
If he is a British driver, why is he driving a left-hand drive car?
He's annoyed that his steering wheel is on the wrong side.. Good spot.

Probably a flipped image.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Meldrew
All the "users" on the list are reasonably easily identified with the notable exception of Sales Reps - how are they detected?
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Runfer D'Hills
Easy, 318d if they're any good. Insignia if they're, well, sort of not.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - WillDeBeest
So who's in all those black A4s?
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Meldrew
Drug dealers?
Easy, they have 3 white shirts, assorted ties and one jacket hung from coathangers in the rear drivers side;)

Pat
 Britain's most annoying motorists - madf
As an early morning runner along narrow country roads, executives ?? in company cars: A4, C Class Mercs are dreadful drivers and dangerous as they drive at speed along narrow blind cornered single track roads..

I have had to jump up a bank this morning to avoid being mown down by one: other road users and pedestrians watch out..

(yes I do wear a fluorescent vest which is visible 100 metres away - except the maximum visibility is 20 metres before the next corner...)

To be only beaten by the lady? motorist who drove out of her drive straight across the pavement without looking or stopping and did not run into me only because I stopped abruptly by running into a wall and grabbing hold of it. To judge by her reaction, it was my fault...

I can live with tractors, mimsers and others as they don't directly threaten to kill you unless you take violent evasive action.

Britain's most annoying motorists - Armel Coussine
I am annoyed by bad drivers, 70 per cent or so of car drivers really. Such a pleasure and relief to be among good press-on pilots as one sometimes is. But in thick traffic you've had it and have to click into semi-mimser mode.

White vans often get a move on although they can be a bit rude. Like others I hate HGVs overtaking each other at less than 40mph (where does this 56 of Pat's come from?) up long two-lane motorway hills, but that doesn't often happen. And they can be remarkably brisk on the two-lane blacktop down here, no kidding.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Dave_
>> less than 40mph... up long two-lane motorway hills

>> (where does this 56 of Pat's come from?)

Down the other side of the same hills ;)
82mph down Beattock Dave;)

Pat
>> As an early morning runner along narrow country roads

You're a brave man madf. Perhaps you don't have any choice? I do, and these days (aged 47) avoid anything without a pavement. Too risky.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - TheManWithNoName
So 9% of people surveyed found sales reps were annoying.

Would anyone care to explain how one would know if a car driven badly was being driven by a sales rep?
How would you know just by looking at the car they drive.

Typical survey really - utterly pointless, meaningless drivel with no factual data whatsoever.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Kevin
>So 9% of people surveyed found sales reps were annoying.

>Would anyone care to explain how one would know if a car driven badly was being driven by a sales rep?

Coat-hangers. See Pat's post above at 18:17.

>How would you know just by looking at the car they drive.

They're all in Bracknell Cortinas, see Humph's post at 17:02. Sales/Delivery-Drivers might get a Large Estate Car though.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - L'escargot
>> So 9% of people surveyed found sales reps were annoying.

>> Typical survey really - utterly pointless, meaningless drivel with no factual data whatsoever.
>>

Such peevishness! Sounds like you may be a sales rep!
 Britain's most annoying motorists - TheManWithNoName
>> >> So 9% of people surveyed found sales reps were annoying.
>>
>> >> Typical survey really - utterly pointless, meaningless drivel with no factual data whatsoever.
>> >>
>>
>> Such peevishness! Sounds like you may be a sales rep!
>>

I'm not a rep. But I'd question the validity of any of this type of statistical nonsense which draws on common pre-formed ideas and misconceptions.

Perhaps the survey should add that perhaps 70% of people asked were fed up with these types of surveys.
;-)
Last edited by: TheManWithNoName on Thu 27 Sep 12 at 13:49
>> >> As an early morning runner along narrow country roads
>>
>> You're a brave man madf. Perhaps you don't have any choice? I do, and these
>> days (aged 47) avoid anything without a pavement. Too risky.
>>

I'm 64 ... if I was going to be run down, it would have happened years ago.. I have become expert in jumping onto walls, into ditches and amongst nettles and brambles to save my skin...
Fair enough :)

Actually I was out of action for about 3 months earlier this year as a result of running on the pavement. Car reversing slowly out of drive, not doing anything wrong, and I should have stopped and waited. Decided instead to hop nimbly off the pavement into the (clear) bus lane, tripped, and landed ribs first on the edge of the kerb...
>> Fair enough :)
>>
>> Actually I was out of action for about 3 months earlier this year as a
>> result of running on the pavement. Car reversing slowly out of drive, not doing anything
>> wrong, and I should have stopped and waited. Decided instead to hop nimbly off the
>> pavement into the (clear) bus lane, tripped, and landed ribs first on the edge of
>> the kerb...
>>

ouch

Britain's most annoying motorists - Alanovich
>> Car reversing slowly out of drive, not doing anything
>> wrong

Apart from reversing out of his drive in the first place. People should be reversing in and driving out, as a rule.
>> >> Car reversing slowly out of drive, not doing anything
>> >> wrong
>>
>> Apart from reversing out of his drive in the first place. People should be reversing
>> in and driving out, as a rule.
>>

It takes longer to reverse into a drive because you've got a smaller space to manoeuvre into and you therefore spend more time on the road inconveniencing other drivers.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 27 Sep 12 at 14:47
>> you therefore spend more time on the road inconveniencing other drivers.
>>

My point isn't about convenience. It's about safety.
>> >> you therefore spend more time on the road inconveniencing other drivers.
>> >>
>>
>> My point isn't about convenience. It's about safety.
>>

OK, I'll rephrase what I wrote.

........ you therefore spend more time on the road in the path of traffic, which gives a greater chance of a collision occurring.
I don't think that overrides the fact that when you're reversing out of a driveway, your vision is considerably restricted. When you're reversing in, your vision is much clearer, and being fully and clearly in the road makes you way more visible to other road/pavement users and, therefore, less likely to be collided with. It's not about the time it takes you to do something, it's how clearly you can see and be seen that matters.

I expect you and I both have had many will he/won't he moments, and the associated increased heart rate, when spotting someone reversing out of a drive. You can't see the driver, you can't get eye contact, you can't tell if he's seen you or not. Doesn't happen with people coming out forwards, generally.

Are you the poster who likes to buy brightly coloured cars in order to be more visible, or am I confusing you with someone else?
>> Are you the poster who likes to buy brightly coloured cars in order to be
>> more visible, or am I confusing you with someone else?

I can sometimes be seen pasted to a hoarding alongside La Route Nationale 396, advertising a solid red car and watching all the dreary metallic silver cars going by!
It takes longer to reverse into a drive because you've got a smaller space to manoeuvre into and you therefore spend more time on the road inconveniencing other drivers.

Rubbish. Reversing in, if there's traffic about you can wait by the kerb until it's clear, inconveniencing nobody; reversing out you have to start blind, then stop and wait with your tail in the traffic. It's bad enough in a car park, but into a road it's plain dangerous, as Alanovic sadly knows.

If you add time in to to time out, reversing in wins almost every time, because the steering wheels are in clear space for longer.
>> Rubbish. Reversing in, if there's traffic about you can wait by the kerb until it's
>> clear, inconveniencing nobody; ...............

Reversing into a gateway on your side of the road with a car which probably has a turning circle of about thirty feet can't generally be achieved in one movement from a position by the kerb.
Of course it can't. So you pull up short of the gate, wait till it's clear both ways, turn the nose out into the road and smoothly reverse into the drive. Easy.
>> Rubbish.

:-D
 Britain's most annoying motorists - VxFan
>> It takes longer to reverse into a drive

This guy took too long and got a fine.

tinyurl.com/9ontv6b - www.thisisdevon.co.uk

Mr Pollard, who runs Health Matters in Torquay, says he was waiting for a safe moment to reverse off busy Abbey Road when he was snapped by a mobile camera unit.

He appealed thinking it would be a 'formality' that the £70 fine would be rescinded but his written explanation was rejected by Torbay Council on the grounds there was no proof he was about to reverse.

>> Apart from reversing out of his drive in the first place. People should be reversing
>> in and driving out, as a rule.

Point taken, although to be fair, it might not always be easy(/safe) to do that. It was either this house, or one nearby:
goo.gl/maps/4WdtM

So you've got a busy road into Reading, off a bus lane, possibly near a bend. Certainly tricky if approaching from the 'wrong' side of the road.
Focus, I certainly consider that it would be safer to reverse in to that drive, than to reverse out. Don't you? It might take some patience, but still. If you are approaching it from the wrong side, perhaps it would be better to drive past, and come back at it from the correct side. Surely we should all know that if it's unsafe to perform a manoeuvre, it's preferable to find an alternative approach than just to go for it?

If I lived there, I'd plan my route home to take account of the direction I need to be facing in order to reverse in safely. And I'd demolish a bit of that front wall and widen the entrance.
You're probably right Alanović, although I can't say I'm totally convinced. As you might have guessed I usually reverse out of my drive, although I do go through phases of reversing in, and to be honest I don't feel there's an awful lot of difference safety-wise - not for my drive anyway.

Rightly or wrongly I suspect other drivers are more tolerant of people reversing out of their drives rather than stopping in the road and reversing in.

>> Rightly or wrongly I suspect other drivers are more tolerant of people reversing out of
>> their drives rather than stopping in the road and reversing in.

You may be right. As with most things in life, experience informs my judgement. My spider senses start a-tingling as soon as I see the dreaded reversing lights appearing in a driveway opening. However, if someone's stopped at the side of the road, waiting for the opportunity to reverse in, well, I don't know that's what they're doing. They're just stopped, so I just proceed around them. If I come upon someone mid-reverse, then I just hang on until they're finished. No big deal, one's progress is necessarily thwarted by having to share the roads.
I'm a reverse in man, because I'd rather be coming out forwards. Quite a narrow gateway too.

I normally approach from the other side of the road, pull into the kerb on my right, wait for following traffic to go past, then swing the front across the road and back in. The traffic that's just passed keeps the oncoming behind other cars always parked outside neighbours' houses beyond mine.

By getting out of there way I hold some the following traffic less than if I slowed to a crawl and lined up forwards.

Every situation is different but I'd always prefer to be coming out forwards.

I tend to do the same with parking spaces. That earned me a conversation with a patrolman in South Carolina IIRC where I was ordered to turn the car around - not all cars have a front plate, and it's mandatory to leave the back outwards.
>> All the "users" on the list are reasonably easily identified ...........

I wear my baseball cap back to front and I drive like a Corsa-owning chav ~ that disguises my age!
 Britain's most annoying motorists - TeeCee
Shirt hanging in the back, 90mph, outside lane and 3 yards from the bumper of whatever's in front.
We have a turning area so we can come in and go out forwards. However, we have a friend who still insists on reversing in. Crazy. When turning left at a junction she ignores any slip lane that there might be, both full width and tapered, and goes straight out into the road proper. There's no telling how her mind works!
 Britain's most annoying motorists - sooty123
Not as annoying as those who want to turn right on a junction with enough space for those who want to turn left but won't leave enough space as the drive upto the junction in the middle of the road.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Runfer D'Hills
For quite a long time now, at least two decades anyway, I've tried very hard not to let much annoy me on the roads. I used to, perhaps naturally of course, but the penny finally dropped that it served me no useful purpose. You eventually learn to expect idiocy, rudeness and incompetence as part of the reality of life on the road and recognise that no matter how cross you might become with the target of your ire there'll be another one along shortly so you could end up being permanently outraged which is not a useful state of mind while driving or doing anything else for that matter.
>>you could end up being permanently outraged which is not a useful state of mind

Not only that, but it has no effect on them whatsoever. You are the sole victim of your own anger. I stopped doing it too, hopefully most of us here have now.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Armel Coussine
I still eff and blind more or less incessantly at the wheel, anyway in South-East England at most times of day and night, with lavish use of the c word, barmily when alone and discourteously when accompanied. It's, like, Tourette's, dig? A lifelong coarse hooligan habit.

But I don't take stuff to heart very often. I more often calmly predict outrages and idiocies that I can see coming, quite profanely as a rule.

People don't seem to understand that you can be calmly aware and furiously profane at the same time. They see it as sending mixed signals. Herself scolds me for it, quite rightly.
 Britain's most annoying motorists - Duncan
>> When turning left at a junction she ignores any slip lane that there might be, both full width and tapered, and goes straight out into the road proper.
>>

What does she say when you point out to her the error of her ways?
>> What does she say when you point out to her the error of her ways?
>>

Nothing. And her husband who's usually in the car as well also says nothing.
Latest Forum Posts