Motoring Discussion > Five ways to get the best new car deal Buying / Selling
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 9

Five ways to get the best new car deal - L'escargot
www.lovemoney.com/news/cars-computers-and-sport/cars/14685/five-ways-to-get-the-best-new-car-deal
 Five ways to get the best new car deal - Falkirk Bairn
Buy an outgoing model rather than a new model car.

I bought an outgoing X-trail in 2007 and paid £15,500, T/I value is £7K - so it cost me £8,500/5 = £1700 / year in depreciation.

If I had bought the new model it would have been say £24K, with a current T/I value of say £10K, Depreciation = £14K or £2,800per year.

I agree the outgoing model is "old" but typically it is not that more expensive than a low milage 2nd hand car.........that might have a less than perfect history. (misfueled diesel / bump / ex hire car..............)
 Five ways to get the best new car deal - Manatee
The quality of the articles on that site is very variable.

Most people trade something in, and many get hornswoggled by the amount they are "getting" for their car and fail to work out what they are really paying for the new one.

The major opportunity is just to shop around which isn't even mentioned.

Five ways to get the best new car deal - R.P.
Outgoing Ford Kuga attracts a saving of 16% off list in one net delaer's site according to Autocar.
 Five ways to get the best new car deal - Falkirk Bairn
>> Outgoing Ford Kuga attracts a saving of 16% off list in one net delaer's site
>> according to Autocar.
>>

16% off should be treated as "the new list price" - haggling starts at this point.

Offer 26% off old list! and be prepared to walk.........you will get a call back within 24 hrs - especially near the end of the month.........then turn the screw with mats (just say mats and when they agree say that is manufacturer's foot mats and boot mat........and stay silent), full tank, Reg transfer...........that's another £400+ at list prices - a lot less to the dealer but still a discount on top of your say 23% or whatever you have agreed.

My son managed £2,000 off their selling price on a 520d a few years back - good but I got another £500, a full tank, mats and free trailer delivery to his home - Cheshire to Aberdeen. The Cheshire original outlet was already £1,000 less than the best Aberdeen / Edinburgh / Glasgow price
 Five ways to get the best new car deal - L'escargot
I don't know how good it is, but I'm using Parkers to assess the value of my car. tinyurl.com/6kjjnz9
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 28 Sep 12 at 09:31
 Five ways to get the best new car deal - John H
>> boot mat........and stay silent), full tank, Reg transfer...........that's another £400+ at list e
>>

What's a "Reg transfer" ?
Is it a pratt personal plate transfer?
Last edited by: John H on Fri 28 Sep 12 at 09:40
 Five ways to get the best new car deal - Crankcase
Was in a dealer's very first thing yesterday having tyres sorted, so sitting quietly in the corner. Just me there.

After a bit the two salesmen turned up for work. All quiet. They read the paper. One said "I've got nothing to do at the minute".

Phone rings.

"Oh, Mr A, yes, of course, well, I can't go to 12 months tax, only six. Sorry? Look I'm really busy first thing as a rule, I'll call you back in an hour, ok"?

Goes back to reading the paper.

I expect there's some psychology going on there, but it didn't seem like superb customer service I have to say.

Oh, and they called someone "Squire". Thought I'd gone back to 1953.

Five ways to get the best new car deal - R.P.
Skoda delaers are the best. When I went to buy the Roomie the sales-bloke said he wanted a coffee and a fag first. Fair do's he offered me one.
 Five ways to get the best new car deal - Bromptonaut
>> What's a "Reg transfer" ?
>> Is it a pratt personal plate transfer?
>>

Oy, they can be personal without being prattish you know!!!

Our is 3 letters 2 numbers and has been in the OH's family since issue by Birmingham Corporation in 1951.
Latest Forum Posts