Motoring Discussion > Parking on the pavement Legal Questions
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 31

Parking on the pavement - Mapmaker
Just wondering...

If you are parking entirely on the pavement (big and wide, so it's not antisocial for pushchairs) where the road has red no-parking lines (this is London), are you committing an offence? And if so, what is the offence and what is the penalty.
 Parking on the pavement - Fullchat
The road includes the footpaths and extends to the curtledge of properties. So yes the same offence is committed as being parked on the line, so to speak.
Penalty could be a scratch right down the side.
 Parking on the pavement - R.P.
IIRC there is a specific offence of parking on a pavement in the Smoke. Not so in the rest of the country - you have to prove that someone was obstructed by where it was. Loads of caselaw on it.
 Parking on the pavement - Alastairw
This is a pet hate of mine.

There is a local carpet emporium in a former bank. They knew when they bought it that there are double yellow lines round all three sides of it (its triangular). The company van and a Volvo estate are parked on the pavement outside and, while there is just enough space to pass on foot this forces you to step in the deep puddle that parking on the pavement has caused.

When pavements are built to take the weight of pedestrians they are not usually designed to take the impact of parked vehicles, so they sink over time, damaging utilities and drainage underneath.
 Parking on the pavement - Ted

Mine too, Alistair. Our road is reasonably wide, not busy and no restrictions. My Next door neighbour's BiL has bought an old RAF ambulance which he wants to make into a campervan and drive down through Africa to re-live his youth......65 yr old prat.

Last night he stayed and this morning I saw that he'd parked opposite almost fully on the recently laid pavement almost against the wall of the house. With the wet overhanging bushes, the schoolkids were walking round it in the road. I don't know what effect 2+ tons of Land Rover will have on the bitmac footpath.

There was no reason all 4 wheels shouldn't have been on the concrete road.

Ted
I know what an armoured Land-Rover did to a friend's driveway....!
 Parking on the pavement - sooty123
>> I know what an armoured Land-Rover did to a friend's driveway....!
>>

The mind boggles, why would anyone want one anyway?
 Parking on the pavement - Bromptonaut
Mrs B's brother had for a while an ex British Gas work van which he equipped for living in. It too very quickly rutted the tarmaced drive at their parent's place. Neighbour was very quick to object if he left it in the road though!!
Long story, involved a squaddie "borrowing" it and going to a mutual friend's house for a brew - you know what they're like.
 Parking on the pavement - sooty123
yep i know what they're like, both squaddies and armoured land rovers!

Just thinking about it, when he parks the thing on our side of the road outside next door, he never even puts a wheel on the footpath.......perhaps he thinks the road's wider from our side !

I expected to see one of the familiar military field ambulances when I was told about it...but it's one of these....

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/Landy/?action=view¤t=Ambulance.jpg

He thinks he's not going to have to tax it 'cos it's an emergency vehicle !

Ted
 Parking on the pavement - Alastairw
Guy on my road has a forward control Landy ambulance, but he keeps it on his driveway. Day to day run about is a Merc R class, with AMG badges. I think he keeps the local filling station in business!
 Parking on the pavement - Dave_
I once parked here whilst delivering a package to the reception of the office block in the picture:

goo.gl/maps/8jD06

As there is a dividing kerb up the middle of the two-way street, and a very wide pavement, I put my car 90% on the pavement by the base of one of the pillars - only the offside wheels were on the road. My intention was to allow traffic to flow freely past my parked car, although the street was deserted - no other traffic and no pedestrians in sight.

I was out of the car for less than 2 minutes, but came back to a yellow sticky envelope on my windscreen containing a penalty for "obstructing the footway"... The street was still completely deserted.

I reckon the warden must have hidden in the shadows before and after writing the ticket.
 Parking on the pavement - bathtub tom
I've printed some address labels:

The deep scratch in your paint was caused by the metal ferrule on the end of the white stick carried by the person with the dark glasses walking the Labrador.

I take delight in sticking them on the screens of offending vehicles.

Nice idea Tubbers. I collect a fair amount of parking tickets in the hire cars. I keep the placky bags and send the rest to the office.

I have been known to put one on the screen of a pavement parker......I imagine it gives them a little bottom-clenching moment.

Ted
 Parking on the pavement - Armel Coussine
God what a bunch of nasty old women you are, openly encouraging each other to vandalise cars too.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with parking on pavements. People often have to do it to avoid causing an obstruction.
 Parking on the pavement - L'escargot
>> There's nothing whatsoever wrong with parking on pavements.

Firstly, there's the damage/subsidence caused to the pavement itself. Secondly, there's the risk of damage being caused to underground services resulting from the subsidence. I remember at our first abode talking to a gas board employee who was outside drilling holes in the pavement and testing for a reported gas leak. He said that the problem had been caused by people parking on the pavement. He added that the foundations of pavements aren't made strong enough to cater for vehicles being parked on them, and that to do so would be uneconomic. Parking on the pavement is irresponsible, to say the least. People who do it should be fined.
We flew from Manchester couple of weeks ago - the cheapest parking was at the Long Term Car Park operated by the Airport itself. Some of you may be familiar with it. There are pedestrian walkways that lead from the spaces to the little bus shelters for collection drop off by the shuttle buses. These walkways are surfaced with tactile paving and have drop kerbs for people to drag their cases onto them. People had parked on these blocking them completely. I'm at a loss to figure out as to why people thought this was a good place to park - were they too idle to look for spaces ? Or is it just plain ignorance. I wouldn't want to leave my car there in case it got scratched by suitcases....how do people minds work ?
 Parking on the pavement - Alanovich
>> God what a bunch of nasty old women you are, openly encouraging each other to
>> vandalise cars too.
>>
>> There's nothing whatsoever wrong with parking on pavements. People often have to do it to
>> avoid causing an obstruction.
>>

So the motorist's convenience is more important than pedestrian safety.

Hmm.

I always thought that steam gave way to sail.
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 28 Sep 12 at 09:27
 Parking on the pavement - VxFan
>> People often have to do it to avoid causing an obstruction.

But what about causing an obstruction to a pedestrian?

Pavements are for pedestrians, not morons in tin boxes.
 Parking on the pavement - neiltoo
>> >> There's nothing whatsoever wrong with parking on pavements.
>>
In a former life I was involved in the upgrading of the housing, and general environment of a district here in my town.
A new small parade of shops was built, and in the final construction phase, the footpath and frontage were to be paved.
Men worked all day and laid a full artic load of concrete flags,
The following day, another artic delivered a load of flags, and parked on the previous day's work.........

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Fri 28 Sep 12 at 10:21
 Parking on the pavement - Bromptonaut
>> There's nothing whatsoever wrong with parking on pavements. People often have to do it to
>> avoid causing an obstruction.

It may be acceptable in some places AC but to say nothing whatsoever wrong is stretching it way past the limit. IIRC in London pavement parking is prohibited unless there's an ordered exemption for particular streets. Where an exemption applies there's a prescribed sign shown.

Round the village it's usually just plain inconsiderate. Same as the guys at the rugby club last friday who, finding the car park prematurely locked, parked opposite eacc other in our cul de sac access. Could just squeeze by in the Berlingo but a delivery, breakdown vehicle or fire engine wouldn't have a chance.

Somebody could die of smoke inhalation while firemen bounce them out of the way.
 Parking on the pavement - L'escargot
>> I've printed some address labels:
>>
>> The deep scratch in your paint was caused by the metal ferrule on the end
>> of the white stick carried by the person with the dark glasses walking the Labrador.

The only trouble is that a lot of people wouldn't know what a ferrule was.
:-)
 Parking on the pavement - MD
They might if it was up 'em Private Pike.
 Parking on the pavement - crocks
Round here it is a parking free ferrule.
 Parking on the pavement - Badwolf
Parking on a narrow pavement is anti-social and a damned nuisance. Our road is a case in point: goo.gl/maps/YPGSP There is no way that someone in a wheelchair, or someone pushing a pram could get past the Transit. When my girls were younger, there is no way I would push them in the road to get past an inconsiderate parker. If I could get past on the pavement, then I would no matter whether I marked the offending car with the pram or not. If you don't want your vehicle damaged, don't park it on the pavement.

On the flip side, however, I know that people have been given a parking ticket for parking on the tarmac portion of the pavement here: goo.gl/maps/fKwhz This is, in my opinion, a nonsense as there is still ample room for wheelchairs and pushchairs to get by. Sadly, common sense seems to pass parking wardens by.
>> Sadly, common sense seems to pass parking wardens by.

They aren't paid for common sense. They are paid to slap PCNs on cars. It's the local authorities that lack common sense, blinded by greed and deafened as they are by the stench from their trousers. Filthy idiotic brutes.
 Parking on the pavement - Badwolf
>> They aren't paid for common sense. They are paid to slap PCNs on cars. It's
>> the local authorities that lack common sense, blinded by greed and deafened as they are
>> by the stench from their trousers. Filthy idiotic brutes.

Fair point, AC.
And made in remarkably restrained fashion I feel
 Parking on the pavement - Lygonos
>> blinded by greed and deafened as they are by the stench from their trousers. Filthy idiotic brutes.

I think you've mistaken this for the Jimmy Savile thread, AC :-)
 Parking on the pavement - Harleyman
>> Parking on a narrow pavement is anti-social and a damned nuisance.

Yes it is. Parking on any pavement where by doing so you make it impossible for a mother with a double buggy to get past is not on. But pedestrians don't need much more space than that.

However..... we will all be aware that there are many areas about this kingdom where the pavement is actually wider than the road, making it easy for two of the said mothers to pass each other and still be out of gossiping distance, whilst also making it impossible for the delivery van to park up and take stock into the shops without rendering the road itself impassable.

As Badwolf says, lack of common sense, not only on the part of the wardens but also on the aprt of the traffic planners.
making it easy for two of the said mothers to pass each other and still be out of gossiping distance

Anybody seen the size of buggies recently - they're like mini SUVs complete with the world's tiniest babies inside...
Latest Forum Posts