Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? Legal Questions
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 13

BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - legacylad
Just renewing my car insurance, and I wondered if legal cover really is worth the £27 extra?
And under what circumstances would you use it?
 BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - Zero
Never had it, never used it.
 BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - CGNorwich
Well if you've never had it you couldn't use it could you? ;-)

Here's some useful information. £27 seems to be about the going rate.

www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/guides/legal-expenses-insurance/legal-expenses-policies-compared/

BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - Zero
>> Well if you've never had it you couldn't use it could you? ;-)

Ok, never regretted I didn't have it.
I have paid extra for legal cover for as long as I can remember, and fortunately never had to use it.
Maybe I am tempting fate but, unlike buildings & contents cover, I am tempted not to bother this time and spend the money on decent beer. Well, nine and a bit pints anyway. Or seven pints and a Bradford curry.
 BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - Meldrew
Plenty here from £10/pa. Obviously one has to sure of comparing like with like!

tinyurl.com/9kvmo7k
 BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - mikeyb
Dropped it from Mrs B's policy this year -

I'm sure it used to be about a tenner and at that level I didn't really notice it and just paid every year, but as its now approaching 30 quid on a 270 quid policy I decided to not bother
 BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - No FM2R
There are various forms of legal cover, they are all pretty much the same thing. There is all sorts of perception around legal protection, tame solicitors and the like. Most of which is wrong;

If you are in an accident and someone else is legally responsible, then you have the right to sue them to recover your losses.

What legal Insurance services brings you in reality is an administrative service based on a sizeable amount of experience to deal with that hassle for you.

So they will write letters for you, they know who to write to, they know what is reasonable behaviour. They have contacts for rental/replacement vehicles, and they know the right solicitors.

They overcharge significantly for what they do, but if you’re not the responsible party, that will not impact you.

They will not pursue it until the death, as you may think they should, they will pursue it as far as they believe good business.

They will fail with admin and customer service as any organisation will and that will upset you as it will happen at a stressful time.

They will not do as good a job as you would if you dedicated yourself to recovering your own losses, but they will perhaps do a better job than you’d actually have got around to.

I don't take these services, but I'm mean, dogged, do know what I’m doing with insurance and will happily spend days pursuing someone who has annoyed me.

My sister always takes the service, because (as she says) she actually has a life.

So;
Can you afford the premium?
Are you likely to have an incident that is someone else's responsibility?
Would you prefer to have someone else deal with it for you?

BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - jc2
Used it twice;once paid for and once came with RAC breakdown cover.It worked both times.Now I get it free with CSMA membership.
Thanks No FM2R

I wont bother then. My past pal is a solicitor, and I have other legal eagle friends.
I too am dogged, as the builder who tried to settle out of court the night before his appearance (after treating me like scum for 15 months) found out to his dismay.
 BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - Meldrew
+
 BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - WillDeBeest
Interesting point about the RAC. Does the AA offer legal cover too? I've never looked and just gone on ticking the Legal box at insurance renewal time because it might be useful.
 BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - Alastairw
Of course, zero never needed it in the past as he was running company cars. Its definitely worth having when one is in the recovering excess from other driver type situation, IMO.
 BMW 3-Series E36 conv - Is legal cover necessary? - Bromptonaut
>> Of course, zero never needed it in the past as he was running company cars.
>> Its definitely worth having when one is in the recovering excess from other driver type
>> situation, IMO.

It's down to your own assessment of risk/probability etc. I've never had a company car and have opted out of legal cover for at least twenty years, Never had an uninsured loss to recover and should such a thing be needed in future I'd rely on native wit as a professional bureaucrat and, if push became shove, no win no fee deals.
Latest Forum Posts