Motoring Discussion > Escaping from London Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 23

Escaping from London - Armel Coussine
Getting there at lunch time yesterday was a doddle, easy all the way.

Coming back was another matter. I spent the afternoon in Bayswater and turned up in time to pick herself up at the Old Vic when she came out of Hedda Gabler. So far so good. Then there was hideous gridlock at Vauxhall, a busy junction but a huge one, worse than I can ever remember it. Turned back, crossed Lambeth Bridge and turned left, to find the gridlock extended across the river into Victoria. It was horrible. Wasted an hour in a pub in Chelsea and left, very late, to make a call in Ham, beyond Richmond. I always get lost down there if I stay from known paths. Got distracted by the need to get money, got lost and got even later. On the road at last, found the A24 closed without warning and an interminable, badly signposted diversion through endless drear Surrey badlands.

What with all that one hardly noticed the odd mimser and come to think of it at least two other diversions. I suppose London always seems like that to some people, but it doesn't to me very often
 Escaping from London - legacylad
Sounds horrendous
Postings like this make me so glad I live in t'Dales, taken for granted most of the time.
I do like occasional city life, but for that I jump on a train at Settle and am in Leeds in an hour.The downside is the last train back departs the big city at 19:19
 Escaping from London - L'escargot
>> I do like occasional city life, but for that I jump on a train at
>> Settle and am in Leeds in an hour.

For another fiver and another hour relaxing on the train you could go to Doncaster, a much nicer place.
 Escaping from London - Meldrew
In the last 20 years the only place I have been to within the M25, by car, is LHR. I go to or cross London by train.
 Escaping from London - Mapmaker
It took me nearly two hours to get from Marylebone High St to Westminster Bridge the other week. I took a wrong turn and ended up heading for Hanover Sq instead of Grosvenor Sq, and Bond St was closed for an all-night party. No way out of the mess, thanks to Crossrail.
 Escaping from London - CGNorwich
If you've got sufficient money though and can afford to live in a nice pad in the middle of London it's the best place in the world. With everything around you you don't have to worry about getting out. There's always your private helicopter if you really want to leave. Would move there tomorrow if I had lots and lots and lots of money
 Escaping from London - Zero
>> If you've got sufficient money though and can afford to live in a nice pad
>> in the middle of London it's the best place in the world. With everything around
>> you you don't have to worry about getting out. There's always your private helicopter if
>> you really want to leave.

Could take you some time to get from Belgravia to Battersea Heliport, its south of the river gov.
 Escaping from London - Runfer D'Hills
Bring back the Olympics I say. It was never easier to get about London than when they were on ! Streets were deserted most of the time and the games lanes were left open in most cases.
>> Bring back the Olympics I say. It was never easier to get about London than
>> when they were on ! Streets were deserted most of the time and the games
>> lanes were left open in most cases.

I seem to recall no-one was buying the schmatta you were peddling then either.
Technicality.
>> Bring back the Olympics I say. It was never easier to get about London than when they were on ! Streets were deserted most of the time and the games lanes were left open in most cases.

I went there at the beginning of the Olympics and it was fine then.

It does seem possible there's now a spate of simultaneous roadworks going on. Nothing in the news about colossal accidents or anything.

Although come to think of it the authorities can make a big deal out of quite a small accident.
My chauffeur won't be calling me "gov"

Yes M'Lady
 Escaping from London - Mapmaker
I think London is still quieter than normal.
You're fired and don't even think about a reference.
"Parker - Take off my dress"

"Yes M'Lady"

"Parker- take off my underwear"

"Yes M'Lady"

"And Parker - don't ever let me catch you wearing my clothes again or you are fired"

"Sorry M'Lady"
 Escaping from London - Dutchie
Drove in London about two years ago.We used to go regulary to Camden and Fulham.Son is back in London with friends I believe he is moving to Richmond.Exciting city lots of traffic and I always get lost.>:) Easier for me to drive in Rotterdam.Amsterdam is a no no,nowhere to park.
 Escaping from London - helicopter
I used to courier by bike in London so know it pretty well.

I hate driving into town now and the nearest to London I have been in the last couple of years by car is to a funeral in West Norwood

Train every time....
I agree that London can be an utter pain sometimes even if you know it like the back of your hand, as I do or rather used to, because it changes all the time and you forget a lot of back-doubles over the years if you aren't doing them every day.

Nevertheless, partly out of stubbornness, I still manage usually by sticking to familiar routes, avoiding busy times and knowing when it's far better to take the long way round. As a freelance since the sixties and a night person I am probably better than most at London-surfing even in my increasingly absent-minded and slow-reacting, decreasingly gung-ho state and after a couple of years now of rural life.

Yesterday evening was the worst I can remember for big, widespread logjam. Perhaps roadworks delayed for the Olympics are now all being done at once with Livingstonian malevolence.
 Escaping from London - Dave_
We have a customer in SE1. I get sent there a couple of times a month, approaching and leaving via different routes every time depending on where I've come from and where I'm going to. Sometimes gets interesting in a Hilux double cab pulling a caravan-sized 3-axle trailer.

Just as well I've always liked driving in London :)
I quite like driving in London. Sure it's busy sometimes but where else, apart from Edinburgh maybe, can you just put your indicator on in heavy traffic and cut across multiple lanes if necessary without causing a chorus of offended horns blowing? Provided you do it with some aplomb and don't mess about they just live and let live.

Try anything like that in the provinces and you'd think you had leaned out of the window and goosed their wives, their daughters and run over their cat while insulting their choice of car and football team simultaneously.
 Escaping from London - Boxsterboy
I drive in London daily for my sins and job. It is soo much more enjoyable when I drive the van (Transporter) as I have complete carte blanche to drive like a pfd if conditions suit. The van is red and I think many think it is a Royal Mail van, and give me an extremely wide berth! And I don't have any precious feelings towards the van. Joy!
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Oct 12 at 01:29
 Escaping from London - bathtub tom
I used to make trips to London in the '70s in an old A35 that was somewhat 'distressed'.

If I drove it enthusiastically enough, even the black cabs would give me space!
>> I quite like driving in London.

Well, of course.

>> where else, apart from Edinburgh maybe, can you just put your indicator on in heavy traffic and cut across multiple lanes if necessary without causing a chorus of offended horns blowing? Provided you do it with some aplomb and don't mess about

For example. And a lot of other reasons too.

But depressed mimsing is becoming a bit of a plague everywhere, London included. People making smug, stately progress in their nippy little cars, obstructing everyone and feeling virtuous. Slowing to a speedometer 45 for 50mph speed cameras just to be ten mph on the safe side. Prats.

Latest Forum Posts