Motoring Discussion > 7-day Free Drive Away Insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 6

7-day Free Drive Away Insurance - Falkirk Bairn
I do not buy a car very often, last one 5 years ago.

I'd seen offers of "Free Cover" in Dealer Adverts etc and to get the car taxed with the least bother I duly phoned a "High Street Broker with branches everywhere" - good job it was Freephone and not a Premium Number - 35 minutes!

The Free Cover was followed by the annual cover quote........it was not competitive with my current insurer. As soon as I said it was not competitive they then came back 2 mins later with an £80.00 cashback deal - payable 3 months hence!

The main pit-fall of the Free Cover was however, the excess........compulsory £250 + a"voluntary" £500 - so be warned not to rely too heavily of "Free Insurance Cover"
 7-day Free Drive Away Insurance - Tigger
The biggest advantage of the 7 day insurance is that you don't have the hassle of getting insurance documents to the dealer for them to tax the new car.
 7-day Free Drive Away Insurance - WillDeBeest
We used this when we collected the LEC, for precisely the reason Tigger identifies. Can't remember the excess but I did check at the time and it seemed reasonable. What wasn't was the quote from the Aviva-backed LEC Owners insurance scheme - more than £1,000 against the £400ish we eventually paid to, coincidentally, Aviva.

The insurer's motive in offering the free cover is access to owners' details for marketing purposes - although you can, of course, opt out, as we did - and to offer that inflated quote. I remember it did have some unusual nice-to-have features, but not £600-worth.
 7-day Free Drive Away Insurance - Falkirk Bairn
>>What wasn't was the quote from the Aviva-backed LEC Owners insurance scheme - more than £1,000 against the £400ish we eventually paid to, coincidentally, Aviva.

Reminds me of "Aviva logic" 16 years ago - son was 23 yr and trading in his Volvo ES 480 for a Honda Prelude...........Aviva Direct refused to insure a young chap in such a car but as it was 2/3 weeks from renewal he had to go elsewhere.

Local Broker got him cover with Aviva £400... £20 less than the Volvo!
 7-day Free Drive Away Insurance - Dave
It's common here to have a special insurance deal whenever buying a new or second hand car from a garage. It's usually fully comp, and lasts 6 months. When I bought my Felicia from a dealer for the princely sum of £500, I think it was only an extra £50 or something for the 6 months insurance.

The difference is though, is when the renewal comes through it's not 'an invitation to renew', but an invoice for the next period. So you then have a month to renew or call them to cancel.

As the insurance market here seems to be about 30 years behind the UK, most of the (few) insurers always seem to give similar rates anyway, that never change much on renewal.
 7-day Free Drive Away Insurance - Zero
I used it when I bought the Lancer, allowed me to drive the car away and give me time to sort out a quote. As it happened, Aviva who ran the 7 day deal came up with the best quote (on the phone) so I stayed with them. And have ever since. It worked for me and it worked for them.
 7-day Free Drive Away Insurance - mikeyb
Used it before for the convenience factor - enables the dealer to tax the car plus if you are buying on any kind of finance they usually ask to see the cert before releasing the car, so also speeds that up.

Never stayed with them though as the quote has always been very high, but I guess for some like Zero it works and they get the business they may not have otherwise got.
Latest Forum Posts