Motoring Discussion > Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 11

Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - VxFan
news.sky.com/story/994387/huge-honda-cr-v-recall-over-car-fire-fears

Honda has said it will recall nearly 500,000 cars after a fault was found that could lead to the driver's door catching fire.

The Japanese carmaker said the recall was announced after it found water may enter the power window switch on the door, which could ultimately cause the switch to overheat, melt and catch fire.

It said the recall affected about 489,000 CR-V sport utility vehicles (SUVs) in Europe and the United States.

Some 220,000 CR-Vs in Europe and around 268,000 in the US would be examined. Another 100 in Africa were also being recalled.

Honda said all the recalled vehicles are from model years 2002 through to 2006.

CR-V owners have been advised to park cars outside and away from structures as a safety precaution, as a fire could start even when the ignition is off.

The safety alert comes days after it recalled more than 600,000 Accord cars in North America over fears of a power steering fluid leak causing engine bay fires.

Earlier last week, it also recalled 820,000 Civic cars and Pilot SUVs because of headlights failures.

Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - Boxsterboy
After the Toyota recalls, these Honda recalls do undermine the supposed quality and reliability of Japanese designed/made cars, don't they?

I think the margins on car manufacturing are so tight these days that no manufacturer can afford to spend too much on R&D, or they are at a commercial disadvantage, they rely on bought-in components, and that cars are pretty much alike when it comes to reliability.

Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - madf
>> After the Toyota recalls, these Honda recalls do undermine the supposed quality and reliability of
>> Japanese designed/made cars, don't they?
>>
>> I think the margins on car manufacturing are so tight these days that no manufacturer
>> can afford to spend too much on R&D, or they are at a commercial disadvantage,
>> they rely on bought-in components, and that cars are pretty much alike when it comes
>> to reliability.
>>
>>
>>

Reliability ratings are based on years of reproted failures.

Ford of course refuse to accept their turbo issues on the 1.6TDCI Fiesta or the CVT system as fitted to the C Max exist.. so owners get no recalls.

As for VAG and injector problems.. 5 years before they accepted any design problems..

As for R&D... no new models = falling car sales. See Subaru. And Rover..
 Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - Manatee
>> After the Toyota recalls, these Honda recalls do undermine the supposed quality and reliability of
>> Japanese designed/made cars, don't they?
>>
>> I think the margins on car manufacturing are so tight these days that no manufacturer
>> can afford to spend too much on R&D, or they are at a commercial disadvantage,
>> they rely on bought-in components, and that cars are pretty much alike when it comes
>> to reliability.

These things aren't really a car reliability problem, cars are immeasurably more reliable and safer in very way than they used to be.

They are a product liability problem. If Honda has had a few cases (in half a million of these cars) of fires that could be window switch related, then any failure to act will have them on the spike legally and PR wise when the next one happens.

Probably half the cars will never visit the dealer for the inspection anyway. Perhaps a lot more than that.
 Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - Mike Hannon
I don't think cars are immeasurably more reliable than they used to be. I reckon the zenith of car reliability was in the late 1980s/early 1990s, that probably goes for build quality and paint quality as well.
I'm not entirely sure about 'safer' either, but I guess it depends how you set the parameters.
 Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - R.P.
You've got to add in comparative complexity even with 90s cars today's vehicles are in another league
 Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - Boxsterboy
The problem with the CRV seems to be one of poor design. Electric windows are nothing new, nor is sealing them against water ingress.
 Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - madf
>> I don't think cars are immeasurably more reliable than they used to be. I reckon
>> the zenith of car reliability was in the late 1980s/early 1990s, that probably goes for
>> build quality and paint quality as well.
>> I'm not entirely sure about 'safer' either, but I guess it depends how you set
>> the parameters.
>>

Hmm

There were a few makers of reliable cars in that period..

Now the number of unreliable cars has fallen and most makers are fairly reliable. - except Jaguar and LR who have always been carp..

Anyone calling a Ford of that era reliable obviously never saw the rust!
Last edited by: madf on Mon 8 Oct 12 at 15:17
 Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - sooty123

>>
>> Now the number of unreliable cars has fallen and most makers are fairly reliable. -
>> except Jaguar and LR who have always been carp..
>>
>> Anyone calling a Ford of that era reliable obviously never saw the rust!
>>

Jaguar have got a lot better they are pretty good, not say as good as Jap stuff but a lot better than in the 80s-early 90s.
 Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - Zero
>> I don't think cars are immeasurably more reliable than they used to be. I reckon
>> the zenith of car reliability was in the late 1980s/early 1990s, that probably goes for
>> build quality and paint quality as well.
>> I'm not entirely sure about 'safer' either, but I guess it depends how you set
>> the parameters.

I think your rose tinted specs are more rosier tinted than normal.

Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - swiss tony
>> I don't think cars are immeasurably more reliable than they used to be. I reckon the zenith of car reliability was in the late 1980s/early 1990s, that probably goes for build quality and paint quality as well.
>> I'm not entirely sure about 'safer' either, but I guess it depends how you set the parameters.
>>

Having been in the motor trade over 30 years, I agree 110%
Hardly a day goes past without yet another recall / 'enhancement' / software update.
Many are without customer contact - done whenever a vehicle is in the workshop, and not mentioned outside the dealer network..

As for reliability, I will agree that cars don't grind to a halt so much these days, but that's more due to the backup systems, that allow the vehicle to 'limp home' or even 'limp to next service' than actual improvements.

As for safety?
Yes, there are now many systems in place to 'protect' the occupants, but that design often makes the likelihood of an accident more likely, so other systems are installed to counteract those deficiency's... ie thicker posts cause blind spots, so electronic systems 'warn' the driver of other vehicles they would have seen in older cars.... its turning into a vicious circle!
 Honda CR-V II - Recall Over Car Fire Fears - Bromptonaut
>> Having been in the motor trade over 30 years, I agree 110%
>> Hardly a day goes past without yet another recall / 'enhancement' / software update.
>> Many are without customer contact - done whenever a vehicle is in the workshop, and
>> not mentioned outside the dealer network..

There's no historic precedent for the software (or firmware) enhancement except perhaps for rotable part number X111 being superceded by X112. The capacity to keep yesterday's model on a line of continuous improvement, just by connecting it to a machine was a mechanic's dream in the sixties.
Latest Forum Posts