Motoring Discussion > Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 12

Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Auntie Lockbrakes
So I've had the car 7 months and driven around 4000 miles only. Total mileage is only 51,000 but since the car is 7 and a half years old I reckon the cambelt is well due for its change.

2 main dealers in Auckland: no response from one, and the other is quoting 900 quid all-in! (In fairness I was expecting not much less than this from the franchised network here). A couple of Indies have quoted in the 700 quid-odd range, whilst the latest indie quote is just under 500 quid?!

I'd have contemplated the main dealer if the price difference was barely 200 quid, but I guess I'd be mad not to "risk" the cheaper indie with his low quote?! What's the worst bodge they can do?

Car was main dealer serviced for its first 4 years, then had 2 non-franchised services before I bought it, so I guess a FASH is irrelevant now anyway..?
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Dog
>>and the other is quoting 900 quid all-in!<<

Is that for a new engine, Nick, or just to change the timing belt?

:-))
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Zero
And they talk about rip off Britain!

Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - madf
Is it a 1.8 or a V6..?

It's remove the bumpers job..

I paid £250 8 years ago at an Audi dealership for a 1.9TDI

£900? having a larf..
Last edited by: madf on Wed 10 Oct 12 at 08:35
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Lygonos
>>What's the worst bodge they can do?

Wreck the engine, or better still simply clean up the existing parts, not change the belt, and pocket your cash.
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Dog
>>Wreck the engine, or better still simply clean up the existing parts, not change the belt, and pocket your cash<<

He's in NZ, doc, not GB.

:-))
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Alanovich
My local (trusted) indie in Reading has just quoted me £500 parts and labour (inc vat) to change the cambelt, tensioners, waterpump, brake fluid, fuel filter, drivebelt, auto transmission oil and filter, and final drive oil in a 2002 Golf TDi.

Sounds like you're being quoted well over the odds, but I don't know the market in NZ at all.
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Auntie Lockbrakes
It's the V6, madf.

Lygonos - you're gonna give me sleepless nights..!

Rip-off? Possibly. Used car prices out here are silly money - more or less double the price of the equivalent car in the UK. And anything European - cars, shoes, furniture,... is pitched as a "premium" product and priced accordingly.

And the very strong kiwi $$ is making prices here seem very high when converted to GBP...

But hey, petrol's still 1 pound 10 a litre :-)
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - PeterS
Here in the UK Audi offer fixed price servicing, and its £429 for a new cambelt.

www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-with-audi/affordable-servicing.html

That's only for 4 cylinder engines though... I expect you'd be charged more for a 6 cylinder one, though I don't suppose they sell that many in the UK
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - madf
£900 for a V6 is not OTT..

I'd go with someone who knows what they are doing.

I trust they will replace water pump and ALL idlers at that price..And all auxiliary belts...and the thermostat... and the antifreeze.
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Victorbox
I remember seeing a picture of an older model Audi A4 having a cambelt change. It looked like the front of the car had been in a smash so much had to be removed. Similar to this photo! tinyurl.com/8m3x4wg
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Lygonos
Just be glad it's not a 4.2V8 I guess.
 Audi A4 Cabriolet - Cambelt time... - Robin O'Reliant
My car cost 900 quid.
Latest Forum Posts