Motoring Discussion > A conundrum for the the morning! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 21

A conundrum for the the morning! - sherlock47
Found whilst wandering the web,

"Early 948 cc powered cars are rare, convertibles and coupes are especially sought after. Current figures have only 202.5 coupes remaining worldwide ."

Can anybody, (without resort to Googling!), explain how the 0.5 figure was arrived at?
 A conundrum for the the morning! - Zero
One of them is on SORN?
 A conundrum for the the morning! - zookeeper
>> One of them is on SORN?
>> or sawn?
 A conundrum for the the morning! - Manatee
One has been converted to a pickup?
 A conundrum for the the morning! - Zero
I couldn't help it, I googled it and I now know what car he is talking about, and I can confidently say one of them is half rusted away.
 A conundrum for the the morning! - TeeCee
One of the coupes has been chopped into a convertible?
 A conundrum for the the morning! - Clk Sec
One is only half built due to CKD shortages.
>>"Early 948 cc powered cars are rare, convertibles and coupes are especially sought after.

Wouldn't you know it; I parted with my 948cc Herald coupe for a measly £100!
 A conundrum for the the morning! - Mike Hannon
The usual rust. (This should have been the first reply, but it vanished).
My uncle, a fastidious mechanic, was horrified when his, bought new, failed its first MOT on structural rust.
>> bought new, failed its first MOT on structural rust.

A pal of mine had to scrap his immaculate looking Vauxhall Victor in the late 60s when it, too, failed its first MOT test because of rust.
 A conundrum for the the morning! - Dog
My very first car was a 948er, a sort of Royal-ish blue with a dirt white hood and (wait for it, wait for it) twin SU's.

Cost me £30!
Mine had the same twin SU's, but cost me £280.
:-(
Ah, but, mine was 'fool' of rust and cost me another £30 to have the welding done.

Then, whenever I pulled onto a petrol station forecourt, the girl at the counter said "what logs d'you burn mate"?

:+)
 A conundrum for the the morning! - WillDeBeest
Then, whenever I pulled onto a petrol station forecourt, the girl at the counter said "what logs d'you burn mate?"

And you heard her from outside?
};---)

The car was a suitable case for that German sounding (my memory is going) piston seal bond stuff (Krause?)

When stationary, a plume of blue smoke would surround the front of the car BIG time.

A lass in a petrol station did say to me "what logs do you burn mate", but okay, it only happened once.

:-))

8th post down: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=48518
Last edited by: Dog on Thu 11 Oct 12 at 15:24
 A conundrum for the the morning! ANSWER - sherlock47
Having now digested my lunch under glorious blue skies, at a temperature of 28C, i will put those interested out of their state of discontent:)

From the Wiki entry at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Herald
"The Earls Court motor show of 1959 used a Triumph Herald Coupe, cut in half. This car survives and can be seen at Coventry Transport Museum.This adds the .5 to the total number of known surviving 948cc Triumph Herald Coupes"

However having looked at
www.stag.org.uk/UserFiles/images/Notts%20Derby/Images%202009/Images%20Aug%202009/Half%20Herald.JPG

I think a figure of 0.8 would be more appropriate. They have not sectioned the engine or transmission, and left on the nearside wheels and suspension!
 A conundrum for the the morning! ANSWER - Tigger
The Coventry Transport Musuem is well worth a couple of hours if you're ever in or near the city.

www.transport-museum.com/

No entry charge
 A conundrum for the the morning! ANSWER - devonite
Ha! - that 0.5 figure is wrong! - Cos I knows where there is the back-end of a Triumph Herald! - It`s in a shed, was going to have been converted into a matching Trailer.
>> Ha! - that 0.5 figure is wrong! - Cos I knows where there is the
>> back-end of a Triumph Herald! - It`s in a shed, was going to have been
>> converted into a matching Trailer.
>>

Ah but was it a Coupe?
 A conundrum for the the morning! ANSWER - devonite
Must have been cos it`s no roof on!
>> Must have been cos it`s no roof on!
>>
No, that was a convertible !
 A conundrum for the the morning! ANSWER - Cliff Pope
Lots of the cars included in the statistics of total numbers must in fact be fractions.

I have had SORNed cars that didn't even exist, having been dismantled and lots of the bits used in others. On the other hand until a few months ago I had a spare Triumph 2000 that officially didn't exist because I had already notified it as scrapped, but hadn't yet dismantled.

Also any car taken off the road before the SORN system came in is officially extinct, but could be revived at any moment if its registration details can be proved.

But I like the example of the Herald that has spent virtually all its life as a fraction.
Latest Forum Posts