Motoring Discussion > Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 10

Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19894322

The range of Toyota cars affected worldwide include certain models of the Yaris, Vios, Corolla, Matrix, Auris, Camry, RAV4, Highlander, Tundra, Sequoia, xB and xD produced between 2005 and 2010.

Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - Auristocrat
The only UK models that may be affected are the Auris, RAV4 and Yaris built between September 2006 and December 2008.

The issue is that, in time, the power window master switch may begin to feel uneven or notchy when operated. Although the switch isn't designed to be lubricated, some people may have used a lubricant to relieve this uneveness or notchiness, and it is this use of a lubricant which is the issue (not a manufacturing fault) as it heats up when the switch is operated and may cause the switch to melt.

There has been one case in the UK.
 Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - lancara
Should be put in the context of the last recalls listed on the VOSA website, namely:

Lamborghini Gallardo - risk of fire
Renault Megane - braking performance
BMW M5/M6 - engine may fail
SDC trailer - drawbar beam may crack
Mercedes Achtros - risk of fire
Ford Maverick - throttle sticking
Nissan Qashqai - loss of steering

and that was only the last week of September
 Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - swiss tony
>> Should be put in the context of the last recalls listed on the VOSA website,
>> namely:
>> and that was only the last week of September
>>

'Todays cars are better designed, and more reliable than previous models'

So say many people.... I say the recalls prove otherwise - as I stated in another thread.
(not withstanding VOSA are only informed of SAFETY related recalls, not the many more that are done in relative secrecy.......)
 Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - Lygonos
>>So say many people.... I say the recalls prove otherwise - as I stated in another thread.
(not withstanding VOSA are only informed of SAFETY related recalls, not the many more that are done in relative secrecy.......)

Pfft - when was the last time you saw a car fire that wasn't caused by some scrotes?

I saw plenty of burning cars in my youth, the vast majority of which burned from beneath the bonnet.
 Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - swiss tony
>> Pfft - when was the last time you saw a car fire that wasn't caused by some scrotes?
>>
>> I saw plenty of burning cars in my youth, the vast majority of which burned from beneath the bonnet.
>>

Plenty as is happens.

I will agree that the majority of car fires begin under the bonnet, high pressure fuel systems plus high temperatures mean a small fuel leak can have disastrous results.
 Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - VxFan
>> I will agree that the majority of car fires begin under the bonnet, high pressure
>> fuel systems plus high temperatures mean a small fuel leak can have disastrous results.

Saw a Sierra catch fire at the services on the way back from Alton Towers once.

Fire brigade said it was quite a common occurance. The air intake for the air filter lay across the top of the engine. It was made of plastic, and if the engine got hot enough, it would soften the plastic, droop down on top of the rocker cover, and if the flash point of the plastic was reached, whoomfp, up it would go.
 Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - henry k
The spokesman said that

"...as it heats up when the switch is operated and may cause the switch to melt. "
is translated in the USA to " A FIRE RISK" and there is concern that the US headline might spread panic in the Toyota community.
A hour per car it sort it + ££££$$$$$$
 Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - carmalade
So the "car in front is a torched motor"!!!
 Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - No FM2R
>>There has been one case in the UK.

And just how long did they have to lean on the switch before that happened?
 Toyota to recall 7.4 million cars - Stuartli
Hope the seven plus million owners and cars don't all turn up at once...:-))
Latest Forum Posts