Motoring Discussion > Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case Legal Questions
Thread Author: John H Replies: 18

Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case - John H
threads by memphis73

forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=73765
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4225615

"They took me to court for "£2,560", and yesterday, the judge quite correctly dismissed the case.
- No evidence of contract between Sainsburys and ECP
- No witness statement
- Nothing to show the claimant has the right to issue proceedings
- No proof of system of data collection, no evidence to show the cameras were working and that it's safe to rely on their evidence
- No proof of breach of contract
- No submission of of evidence of quantifiable losses, therefore their ludicrous "parking charge notices" are nothing more than unenforceable penalties "

history of dispute:
forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=67596&hl=
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3803225

Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case - Dutchie
Why do supermarkets use these thugs to have a parking enforcement.They will lose customers.
 Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case - No FM2R
>>Why do supermarkets use these thugs to have a parking enforcement.

Typically because they have a signifcant issue with non-customer parking.
 Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case - oilburner
>> >>Why do supermarkets use these thugs to have a parking enforcement.
>>
>> Typically because they have a signifcant issue with non-customer parking.
>>

Then why do I see these signs in use in places absolutely miles from anywhere?

It's understandable that there might be a problem if there's lots of restricted on-road parking coupled with expensive pay and display car parks, but if the supermarket/retail park/McDonalds/etc is nowhere near anything, then it really does seem ridiculous.

Case in point, stopped at a McDs on an A road somewhere in Cambridgeshire (I think). Nothing to see in any direction right to the horizon, and yet there was a 90 minutes restriction on parking.

It can take that long to park, change nappies, feed and then clean up little ones quite easily. And that's before one of them spills a drink over you and you spend 20 minutes trying to use the hand dryer to blast your wet trousers with lukewarm air...

There's just no common sense or allowances made in these systems. Very often not even the alternative of paying extra to stay longer, should you wish.
 Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case - Zero
I have to say, lunch with the family oilburner seems to be a fraught affair,
You should see us on a bad day.
 Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case - Bromptonaut
Miss B works in McDonalds. The car park is just big enough for peak use; nb why do people sit in their cars to eat a Maccys rather than eat in?? .

Ignore the nearby football and rugby stadia which are only a problem on matchdays.

On a weekday they would have spaces filled with parking from nearby offices andbusiness types combinig into one vehicle to go on to meeting in town. People who park up, eat their McDonalds then wander off other nearby shops.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 12 Oct 12 at 14:13
>> Miss B works in McDonalds. The car park is just big enough for peak use;
>> nb why do people sit in their cars to eat a Maccys rather than eat
>> in?? .

Have you seen the clientele in McD's?
 Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case - No FM2R
Oi! We don't like you either.
Exactly!

>> On a weekday they would have spaces filled with parking from nearby offices andbusiness types
>> combinig into one vehicle to go on to meeting in town. People who park up,
>> eat their McDonalds then wander off other nearby shops.
>>

But that can't be the case at every McDs can it? Plus, the main gist of my point is that frequently, the time limits are too short. 90 mins might sound like eternity to a single bloke who can eat a Big Mac in 30 seconds (probably the kind of person that came up with that number), but like a blink of a eye to a large family of young kids struck with inertia!

The whole thing stinks to me of "eff off now, we've had your money, some other punter needs your space".

>> sound like eternity to a single bloke who can eat a Big Mac in 30
>> seconds (probably the kind of person that came up with that number),

You'd need a McFlurry and a large fries to pad the time out.
That's great news. This whole penalty charge system is getting way out of hand, the sooner it's nipped in the bud the better.

The other day I parked in a cinema car park, miles from any pay and display parking, with restaurants and bowling outside.

Should you wish to spend an hour or two having a meal, then 2 hours or more in the cinema and perhaps 20 minutes in the bowling enjoying a drink at their bar, you could find yourself there for several hours quite easily.

The signs on display quoted a maximum stay of just _four_ hours. There's some films that long when you add queueing for tickets and trailers at the start!

Who decides on how long is fair with these things? An idiot I would argue.

>> The signs on display quoted a maximum stay of just _four_ hours. There's some films
>> that long when you add queueing for tickets and trailers at the start!

Cant stand "Lord of the Rings - return to the tedium" gives me a sore bum even in the vip seats.
Then imagine how much worse it would be getting one of these letters in the post a few days later! ;)
 Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case - Dave
Why don't they have a machine at the entrance that issues a ticket, and then a real person at the exit that takes the money? And if the supermarket so desires, they can validate the ticket if you shop there.
>> Why don't they have a machine at the entrance that issues a ticket,
>>

The sensible thing for such car park providers is to have entry/exit barriers with tickets on entry and paid before exit, and get the ticket validated for free parking for customers spending £x instore.
Last edited by: John H on Fri 12 Oct 12 at 14:56
Court Reference:

"the case was 2QT19160, heard on 9/10/12, at Wandsworth County Court"

I presume Bromptonaut may be able to find transcript link from that.

Euro Car Parks lose Parking Charge case - Bromptonaut
>> Court Reference:
>>
>> "the case was 2QT19160, heard on 9/10/12, at Wandsworth County Court"
>>
>> I presume Bromptonaut may be able to find transcript link from that.

Nothing so far. County court cases are rarely reported on Bailii or the judiciary website. OTOH the other case in Scunthorpe found its way into public domain as did judgement in the Sun Alliance case about inflated repair costs.

It may need the guy posting on MSE to obtain
Latest Forum Posts