Motoring Discussion > We've bought a Ford.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 137

We've bought a Ford.... - R.P.
Fiesta 1.25 T plate, scruffy body good oily bits. Basically as a runaround for the dogs to get them to the local forestry/beach. The V50 was suffering. £300.00 with tax until January and MoT until April. 2 owner car, been in the current family since 2005. A really full history - clean runner on the last emissions test. Could never resist a banger. This has 125k on, the last MoT carried no advisories. The car runs very sweetly and a delightful gearbox. Heated screen and maybe air-conditioning. A de-coded radio cassette...Insured the beast for less than two hundred notes along with a mirrored NCB from LV. Looks like a good 'un.
 We've bought a Ford.... - madf
Sounds nice. Hope the heater valve survives the winter..
Oh dear - the symptoms are ?
Just researched it on the web - no issue. If it is jammed it was jammed on (which is OK) looks like a cheap fix either way.
This is an 18 month buy - it owes us nothing after that even if we weigh it in for scrap. Anything over and above that is a bonus.
 We've bought a Ford.... - Robin O'Reliant
Did they throw in the baseball cap, or do you have to buy your own?
I'm developing the look now, bad skin, sticky out ears and the so-called "widow's grip" on the steering wheel.
 We've bought a Ford.... - Zero
A rubber boot liner would have been cheaper. A car for dogs? such extravagance
There's a little bit more to it than that - it'll mean I can take them when Mrs RP is out in work at weekends without having to pre-plan which car she takes, means that I have an usable car if it snows without having to fit M&S tyres to the Beemer. Also means we can leave it somewhere if we go for a beer or three and get a taxi home without worry. The only ongoing cost between now and April is the insurance, has four new tyres and even been serviced with the proper oil.
 We've bought a Ford.... - -
Also means we can leave it somewhere if
>> we go for a beer or three and get a taxi home without worry.

Lot to be said for that, its getting to the point that you really don't want to leave a cared for nice looking car anywhere.

SWMBO misses the old Volvo estate for that, she literally abandoned it everywhere and it never gained so much as a scratch, unlike her nice cars that invariably get vandal or deliberate damage within a week of purchase...doesn't happen at home or regular parking places so its not someone holding a grudge.

Sounds a little gem, don't blame you getting that.
 We've bought a Ford.... - Runfer D'Hills
Y'see, what you could've done instead, is weigh the 3 series in against an X1 or something. They're supposed to be really good so they say. Hatchback fur the dugs and everything. 4 wheel drive too for the winter. If you'd been lucky, you might even have found one where the previous owner had a spare set of winter tyres you could have had...

Still, never mind, I'm sure the Fiasco will be almost as good. Perfect for ASDA. Er, innit?

:-)
Well ASDA came to mind.
Have you got some of those 3/4 length trousers to wear while driving it? Oh, and some form of tracksuit top with a hood?

:-))
No don't own either thing. No intention of.

I read about the Widow's Grip on some site years ago - it's the way that a certain type of driver grips the top of the wheel with one hand (the other doing something else presumably) right at the twelve o'clock position in a vice type grip......I have tried it.....once.
 We've bought a Ford.... - corax
>> I read about the Widow's Grip on some site years ago

Got you. Additionally you have to sit at an angle so that your head is between the headrests when viewed from behind :)

We've bought a Ford.... - MD
>> Have you got some of those 3/4 length trousers to wear while driving it? Oh,
>> and some form of tracksuit top with a hood?
>>
>> :-))
And don't forget to chuck yer Burger boxes art da winda.
 We've bought a Ford.... - Mike Hannon
What's the 'widow's grip'? Is it just for Fords?
No, you can drive Corsas like that too Mike and Saxos. Basically, you lower the driver's seat as far as it will go, or better still, get a sports seat fitted as low to the floor as possible, lean in to the centre of the car ( with your hood up of course ) and grasp the top of the steering wheel with your right hand, keeping your left hand on whatever is pleasing you at the time presumably...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 14 Oct 12 at 17:12
 We've bought a Ford.... - corax
>> What's the 'widow's grip'? Is it just for Fords?

I was wondering too. Please enlighten us.
I think that Humph has the detail on this, not restricted to Fords.
Here you go Rob, might provide some inspiration...

img186.imageshack.us/img186/8302/car20ft.jpg

Already signed up to these guys.

www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37573
Trying to remember where I saw this, might have been in Ireland last week, but anyway, it was a pimped Skoda Roomster.

No you're not misreading the above. It was matt black, with matt black wide wheels, privacy glass etc. Looked lowered, tiny wee suede steering wheel, recaros, big fat exhaust. Didn't see or hear it moving as it was parked.

It was strangely appealing. Can't help feeling its owner was either a total plank or alternatively had a highly developed sense of irony.

That's what I've got Humph an ironic car !
Ironic maybe, ferrous, certainly.

We've bought a Ford.... - NortonES2
Ford and ferric oxide (aka rust, and red in colour) are the usual associations. Ferrous oxide is black, aka wustite:)
Last edited by: NIL on Sun 14 Oct 12 at 20:56
 We've bought a Ford.... - Auntie Lockbrakes
Now you just need to teach the dogs to drive it and you'll get some peace from us ;-)
 We've bought a Ford.... - TheManWithNoName
>> Oh dear - the symptoms are ?
>>
Quite a bit on here about Fiesta heater matrix and stuck valves.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFr3lsSCaA0
 We've bought a Ford.... - L'escargot
>> Heated screen ..........

Electrically heated windscreens are brilliant. My last two cars have had an electrically heated windscreen and I would now be very reluctant to buy a car which didn't have one.
 We've bought a Ford.... - DP
Had a couple of these Fiestas. Good, reliable cars that are dirt cheap to put right if anything does go wrong. Rot aside, that is. The little Zetec-SE engine is a peach as well.
 We've bought a Ford.... - VxFan
>> I would now be very reluctant to buy a car which didn't have one.

Whereas I would be very reluctant to buy a car which did have one.
 We've bought a Ford.... - -
Never had a heated screen, and not bothered either way, not keen on the visible lines in those i've driven but i suppose you get used to the effect.

Useless though without the same system in place in drivers and passengers front windows as well as the rear screen, far too many idiots go driving off on frosty mornings with a crystal clear wind and rear screen but the side windows covered in heavy frost, and unable to be lowered due to ice on the windowledge seal.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 10:38
>> Whereas I would be very reluctant to buy a car which did have one.
>>

Why is that?
 We've bought a Ford.... - WillDeBeest
Well, for a start it wouldn't be a Vauxhall.
Some of you may recall reference to a Puma that was run in the family aeons ago (in hj days) that had a heated screen - the elements were noticeable in that one. This one I spotted the switch before the very fine wires - maybe my eyesight has changed in the last 6 years or so, but the wires seemed very fine in this one - it is an OE Ford screen btw. The whole cars reeks of originality. I think the heater valve thingy maybe shot. But who cares. Need a heater in winter, it's got working leccy windows x 4 for the summer.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 16:02
 We've bought a Ford.... - Alanovich
I love the heated screen in my Galaxy. One of the things which makes me want to keep the car.

But, being a bloke and a car nut, I'm always on the look out. And I've just discovered that all 4-cyl SAAB 9-5 diesels were fitted with an Eberspacher heater, which can be set to switch on at a predetermined time in the winter in order to warm the coolant and provide warm air to the cabin ready for when the driver arrives. Thus negating the need for a heated screen.

I've always fancied a 9-5 estate...............2.2 diesel for preference, I don't trust those modern 1.9 jobbies.

I've had a lot of Fords with heated front screens. You only "see" the wires if you want to. Much more useful than scraping ice on a cold morning. More time for coffee / tea etc...

If it handles anything like a Ka it'll soon become a favourite chuck about toy. I like lowish powered cars with good handling. You can throw them around without too much risking of life, limb or licence.

Er, "wicked sick dude" I think is the appropriate accolade in the circs..

I'm taking one of my dark ties to tie to the back towing eye - apparently de-rigueur for the look I'm trying to achieve....If wonder if I can insure in in my old mum's name ?
Never heard of that one. What does it signify? Some kind of Welsh thing or what?
Is that the same colour codes as a hankey hanging out your back pocket?
Well, I wondered...

Come to think of it, he did make a vague reference in his OP to using it for dog duties or something...Maybe we've got the wrong end of the stick...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 17:10
Well the nights are drawing in...
Not a lot of room in a Fiesta mind. However, at least he's established that the heater works eh?
Its a hatch, and he did say the back towing eye?
Do you think it's a euphemism? Not one I've heard of but y'know he's been around some dodgy folk in his line of work I expect...
Well you know, working at the CAB, full of anti establishment left leaning liberals, bound to turn a mans head.
Drove it back tonight (10 miles) - goes OK - the heater valve was replaced last year and the heating works. Huge pile of documentation for it. What sweet engine and gearbox. Filled it with petrol and doubled its value.
Have you got one of those mesh guard things for the dogs? I got one for the Qashqai but it made no difference, he just pukes through it now...
Not yet - ebay being scoured as we speak. Still puking then ?
...and the rest.

:-(
Have you seen Humphs driving?
>> Why is that?

Because the fine lines play havok with my eyes, especially in the evening with headlights coming the other direction.
I think it depends on your eyes. I'm short sighted and wear standard (non varifocal) glasses. Didn't notice anything tonight on the ride home.
According to my optician, I'm still just legal to drive without glasses, but it was recommended that I have them so I wouldn't strain my eyes quite so much, especially driving at night. My short range vision is fine, and I only wear glasses for driving.
>> I think it depends on your eyes.

I think it depends on whether a person has decided that they just don't like electrically heated windscreens and that nothing anyone says or does will change their mind. I've owned three cars (I'd forgotten about my 1990 XR3i) fitted with electrically heated windscreens, for about 15 years in total, and never had a problem. I accept that if you deliberately focus on the screen you can see the lines, but that's not what I do. I look through the windscreen. If everything goes according to plan my next car will have an electrically heated windscreen.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 16 Oct 12 at 09:19
>> >> I think it depends on your eyes.
>>
>> I think it depends on whether a person has decided that they just don't like
>> electrically heated windscreens and that nothing anyone says or does will change their mind.

It does not. It depends on your eyes. Can you, for example, see modern LED tail lights "strobe"

I can, all of them.
>> Can you, for example, see modern LED
>> tail lights "strobe"

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain?
 We've bought a Ford.... - Manatee
>> >> Can you, for example, see modern LED
>> >> tail lights "strobe"
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain?

I think that means you can't. Flicker is what Zero is referring to.

I see it most often on Audi DRLs for some reason. I imagine it's because they have variable brightness controlled by PWM. Similarly cars which use some variable brightness LEDs for tail/stop will probably use PWM and therefore be pulsing all the time - I think the frequency drops for lower brightness and the flicker becomes more visible.

They aren't all the same though. Not all LED drivers use PWM, but they can still have more or less ripple. I can't see the flicker in the Outlander's LEDs.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 16 Oct 12 at 10:09

>> They aren't all the same though. Not all LED drivers use PWM, but they can
>> still have more or less ripple. I can't see the flicker in the Outlander's LEDs.

Most do, PWM is the way you get bright LEDS without burning them out.
If you look at a car's LED brake lights and they seem to flash quickly you have Zero's eyes. I have but they are baby blue and unbloodshot.
 We've bought a Ford.... - bathtub tom
>> If you look at a car's LED brake lights and they seem to flash quickly
>> you have Zero's eyes. I have but they are baby blue and unbloodshot.

Can you remember the sixties, or just more of them than Dog and AC?

We've bought a Ford.... - Dog
I can remember the 60's but not the early 50's for some strange reason.

My skin n' blister bought me a 1952 birthday card last month which included a CD of music from that era.

Duke Ellington / The Four Lads / Harry Belafonte / Doris Day / Frankie Laine / Frank Sinatra / Guy Mitchell / Percy Faith / Eddie Fisher / Hank Snow / Mario Lansa / Johnnie Ray / Vic Damone / The Buddy Morrow Orchestra
Marty Robbins / Rosemary Clooney.

:-(
>> I think it depends on whether a person has decided that they just don't like electrically heated windscreens and that nothing anyone says or does will change their mind.

I've driven cars/vans with and without them. I find my sight is far less fatigued looking through plain glass than that with thin lines in.
>> I find my sight is far less fatigued
>> looking through plain glass than that with thin lines in.
>>

Perhaps I should thank my lucky stars that my sight isn't affected in that manner.
Nobody needs to be proud or defensive over this. I tend to VF's opinion that the wires spoil the view, but that's based on 1990s Fords and the effect may be less noticeable now. Once you start noticing something (how silly the word 'shirt' looks in print, for example) it's hard to un-notice it.

My optician tells me I prefer an over-corrected, hyper-detailed view (I'm moderately short-sighted and slightly astigmatic but through my lenses I can read tiny print across rooms) which may have an effect on how I perceive the lines; the difference is as much in the brain as in the eyes themselves. I suspect I might be less aware of the lines if they ran vertically rather than horizontally, but who can say? If it works for you, enjoy the convenience.
>> I suspect I might be less aware of the
>> lines if they ran vertically rather than horizontally, but who can say? If it works
>> for you, enjoy the convenience.
>>

The wires on my 2003 Mk I Focus run vertically, as did those on my 1999 Mk I Focus and my 1990 XR3i.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 16 Oct 12 at 12:17
They are barely visible (honest) on the Ford branded TRIPLEX windshield in this car. It is OE - the dot codes match the rest of the glas sin the car. Air-con still works as well.
Drove it to work this morning - drives well, comfy well made seats show no sag despite their age and mileage - heater works fine both modes - squeaky vent fan first thig. HRW works. Engine is as silent as the BMW's (well almost) certainly all the positive atributes of a 16v 4 cylinder, gearchange is an object lesson in accutacy and smoothness - really difficult to believe the age and mileage of this car - the driver's door lock won't operate but the central locking does work on all four doors - turns a 3k revs at 70 - keep looking for a 6th gear though ! what else can you get for £300 ? Lights on buzzer doens't work. Have to fix that.
Good oh !

I think Ford manual gearboxes are about as good as they get for smoothness. I was always led to believe that Jap boxes were slick but while the one on our Nissan is ok it's nothing special by comparison to a Ford.

What you need now is a wee excursion on your favourite B road to explore the handling. Don't think that'll disappoint either.

Any rusty bits or is it just dinged here and there?
 We've bought a Ford.... - Robin O'Reliant
Don't forget to put the fog lights on.
They're missing. Already done the B road thing. :-)
 We've bought a Ford.... - Ted

How did you insure it cheaply, Rob. I tried to put a Fiesta on the road a coupla years ago as a family hack/spare car and I couldn't get any quotes that weren't for a new policy with no NCB. I already had 2 NCBs on our current cars......which we were keeping.

The £800+ TPonly kicked that idea into touch even though the kids would be driving it on their own insurances as a car not belonging to them.

Ted
I expect not living in Manchester makes a difference.
};---)
The most expensive quote was from Direct Line, this included a loyalty bonus (house Insurance) came in at £400.00 - south of that for Lloyds TSB around 260, then LV saved the day, they mirrored the 3 Series' no claims, protected it and added the legal pack for the price. Seems a third car in the family needed its own bonus. Fair enough. Living in the sticks helps.
 We've bought a Ford.... - swiss tony
>> The £800+ TPonly kicked that idea into touch

Did you try Fully comp?
That may have been cheaper.
Can you get partially comprehensive insurance? Not meaning to pick on you, ST, cos I know everyone says it, but Chambers defines 'comprehensive' as

including everything; complete

so 'fully comprehensive' is a tautology.
}:---)
 We've bought a Ford.... - Ted

Tried them all Tony....£800ish was the cheapest on line....just interrupted typing to answer landline.......Indian voice, I actually couldn't understand a word.

Told him I only spoke English and cut him off.....grrrrrrr !

Insurance seems to be the bugbear......car and MOT cheapo.

Ted
 We've bought a Ford.... - RattleandSmoke
I still don't understand that Ted but I suspect it is do with the fact you have a lot of cars. I am only paying £580 for my Panda that that policy is fully loaded with no claims protection etc.

RP I have some body filler which will come in handy for you! I have owned more of those Fiestas than I have trousers! I do really miss those gearboxes though, as you say lovely and smooth and they were quite fun to drive. My dads R reg Fiesta Ghia was mechanically sound but the rust was killing it. Every MOT required welding but my dad wrote it off in the end in a silly curbing accident during low visibility and tiredness (.

Certainly my dad found the gearbox on the i10 very woolly compared to the Fiesta.

Hopefully the car will last you, just don't fall into the trap of the minor repairs or the car will owe you money. The trick with bangers seems to be do the least you can do it but while still keeping it road legal.
Thanks Rats !

Spent some money on it. More Risk Assessment based than anything else. The grille under the bumper was missing leaving the radiator rather vulnerable to road debris. Got a brand new Ford made one (Argentina) for 11.93 free P&P from Fleabay. Took all of thirty seconds to fit.
>> so 'fully comprehensive' is a tautology.
>> }:---)

My insurers website doesn't fall into the trap. It says .............
"Q:What types of car insurance cover do you offer?
A:The Co-operative Car Insurance offers one level of cover; Comprehensive."
Done over a 1000 miles now - costs so far ?

1. £15.00 for a Barzillian made OE raditor grile (from e-bay) not fitted to make it look pretty but to minimize the risk of stone damage to the exposed bottom end of the radiator.

2. De-code for the radio £15.00

3. Dog Guard - second hand £10.00

Blown a tail light - spare bulb kit was in the car when we bought it. Topped up with some Castrol 5-30 oil that was "in stock" so to speak. Other than that just petrol. Good starter.

>> 2. De-code for the radio £15.00

It's a while since I looked, but software which provided codes for this era of Ford stereo unit when given the unit's serial number was fairly freely available on the interweb when we had our Fiestas. I probably still have it buried on a backup drive somewhere.

We've bought a Ford.... - Dog
Yule be going after the freebies before long I'll wager!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2255831/Mother-Cat-Fletcher-saves-20-000-filling-home-online-cast-offs-Freegle-website.html
The car still runs fine 3k on - not many days where it stands idle. Only expense has been a ten quid dog-guard and the replacement grille so far. A little 5-30 oil that was in the garage anyway has been added at some point. I the build up to the MoT it's getting a new set of Bosch wipers - £12.00 from fleabay, and may have to fix the Humph'd door mirror - replacement on Fleabay is 14 quid. The scrappie down the road quoted £14.00 plus VAT ! The other option is a No More Nails one...may consider that.
In the end my wife went to the scrappie and got the mirror for £14.00 cash in the end. Fitted it this afternoon. I inadvertently broke a plastic clip, brittle due to ageing) holding the rear wiper blade (which was also rusted to hell and the rubber shredded) - replaced the whole lot for £11.00 quid using a genuine Ford clip from E-bay and a new wiper arm from Halfords....MoT soon - we're going to put it through on a wing and a prayer....budgeting a max of £200.00 for any repairs required otherwise scrap it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 19 Mar 13 at 10:16
 We've bought a Ford.... - Bromptonaut
Sounds like a good deal.
Went for its MoT today - month early as a precaution -passed its MoT at ATS - advisory for a tyre and a suspension/sub frame bush. Otherwise passed. Going to cost £64.00 for the remidial work. Bargain.
Just an update - car's still going fine.

I knew the spare wheel was an issue, this linked to a requirement to replace a dodgy one that was subject of the advisory. Cue the belated removal of the spare for inspection - anyone who knows these cars will know that the wheel is slung unprotected below the boot area. Access to the spare is via a bolt of absolutely crap design. Anyway this was soaked in some "stuff" I acquired from a mechanic friend and and eventually undid despite horrendous rust. The tyre was a brand new Good Year date stamped 1999....! The wheel was nearly rusted through. We'd priced tyres up at £45 minimum - so off to the scrappie and Mrs RP has done a deal on a wheel shod with a nearly new tyre for £40.00 - so bangernomics continue ! She's going to sweet-talk scrappy guy into fitting it as well ! Car still going strong - strange squeak a couple of weeks ago has gone, so whatever it was has broken or dislodged, Canister of BMW Emergency Tyre stuff in the car now - which has doubled the car's value and made it an attraction for thieves...

The spare still held 29psi - which is better than some people's road tyres !

Oh and the Air Con works - not ice cold but work it does...
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 19 Jul 13 at 01:07
Glad to hear the car is serving you well. These are cracking little cars if you find a good one, as you clearly have.
Just to add - the £45.00 included removal of the Good Year, swapping the tyre from a "finished" rim onto a better one off a donor, "new" tyre fitted (it still has the mould tags attached so it is pretty new, although a ditchfinder) - balanced and put on the car so quite a bargain. Going rate for a scrapped Fiesta is around £80.00 to a £100.00 - so if it dies for any reason soon that's where it will end up...sad but true.
A fiesta with a ticket is worth 500 quid. (well its not "worth" that, but thats what someone will pay)
Wing and a prayer Zero - MoT due in April - we'll budget a maximum spend of £100.00 to get it through otherwise it's the scrappie for it...
Exhaust (middle section) replaced today after much sucking of teeth and an attempt to bodge it with Gun Gum considered. Whilst it was in had the oil changed - Ford Spec oil and filter. Whole lot was £120.00 - not sure whether it was a bargain - dodges the scrappie though.
 We've bought a Ford.... - MJW1994
Bargain to get a car through an MOT, surely? Almost guarantees you 12 months of motoring.
 We've bought a Ford.... - madf
Tyres and wheels are worth £100..
Even the wheels are rusty
Peanuts for a year's ticket and the peace of mind of clean oil.

Glad it's still going strong. These are really good cars.
Exhaust started blowing - suspected the joint between the new section and the flexible pipe from the cat. Been warned this might happen as the joint was rusty and paper thin. Took it back to National Tyres today - confirmed my worst fears. We had talked about this and actually found a replacement motor - A pink 2001 Vauxhall Agelia, 150k being offered for 400 notes with a year's ticket at a local garage. Ugly. Anyway the guy at National reckons he can sort this by a bit of bodging and get a tight fit. Going back Monday to be sorted.
 We've bought a Ford.... - rtj70
I'd prefer the bodge to the Agilia/Wagon R.
Ha Ha - Mrs RP "test drove" it yesterday - she is a petrol head but this took her to another level....
Family near us have an Agila and a Meriva. There are four of them Ma, Pa and two grown up offspring and not one of them can possibly be less than 20-25 stones. When they all get in the Agila it looks like the airbags have gone off !

"He" was grumbling to me the other day that he's had to have springs replaced on both cars twice in less than two years. Hadn't the heart to say what immediately sprang to mind !

;-)
Makes you think.....anyway, just been out in the Fiesta to see some friends (motorbike advice) - goes quite well - excellent lights by the way.
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - R.P.
Finally the runes were read and the weather, time, inclination factors all levelled out and I had a look at the sidelight problem. I was prompted by the fact that the offside one was as bright as a copulating glow-worm and flickering a little and was clearly heading the same way as the nearside bulb. So had a look at the job - then RTtheFM...under a very helpful section headed "Roadside Emergency Repairs" it details the front bulbs are changed, by removing the front-grille and then unscrewing the headlamp units, removing them and changing the bulbs. I'd already established the Offiside one could be done in situ but no such luck with the nearside one. I had matching bulbs but baulked at fitting them as they are OE CanBus compliant BMW ones for the original GS I had (the existing one has LEDs) - so I soaked the screws in WD40 and will pop to Halfords tomorrow to buy some cheap ones. I did have a 10w festoon one for the number plate light which had failed (but still responded to a slap)- so I swapped that one over. Breaking the brittle plastic spring clip in the process. Now fixed in situ with Duct tape....oh well.
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - bathtub tom
It'll be looking like a Mondeo soon.

farm8.static.flickr.com/7281/9813893903_8f0b036f11_m.jpg
Worse than that BT - I'm too embarrassed to post any pictures.
Right two bulbs from Halfords £2.99 - to fit them was a quid or so extra. I turned this down...for some reason, would have been worth the quid. Took about 20 minutes to change both of them. The Headlamp units were fitted with Torx screws.....thus blowing Ford's Emergency Roadside Repair hope into the weeds. Fortunately nice people from BMW Motorrad provide Torx keys in their tool-kits - fortunately. Job done lights now legal.
Thorn in the side....well in a tyre. Repair £21.00 ! Replaced the ball joint that was advisory on last year's ticket £67.00 aligning the wheels a staggering £30.00 ! Anyway mileage is 133333 as I rolled home just now.
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - Avant
Even if it fails the next MoT, it'll have done you pretty well, won't it, particularly if you think of the short-journey wear and tear it's saved on your other cars. It doesn't sound as if it's ever let you down either: a fine advertisement for bangernomics if ever there was one.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 9 Feb 14 at 16:22
The exhaust is blowing....so it could be curtains for it.....too expensive to fix. Be tested next month....so already hunting a replacement. Shame in a way still runs as sweet as a nut. Had a near miss last night on the way home via the lane leading to our house. It's been noticed that district nurses drive like maniacs around here, one paid the price last night. Bimbling home I encountered one in a newish Citroen going like the clappers. As I came to a halt she was skidding along the dry road and I had to swerve to avoid, she hit a roadside rock....
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - PeterS
Can't it be patched with a bit of welding to keep it going another year? Although there's a certain amount of fun to be had looking for a replacement ;-)
That's not the problem, there's nothing to weld it to. The joint on the cat end has rusted to nothing. Short of putting a new cat on it beyond economical repair....
Just checked out some prices on-line...can pick one up off the web for about 50 quid....it becomes a fitting issue then...
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - No FM2R
I've never done well DIYing pattern exhaust parts. Bits never come apart properly and then never seem to go back together again either.

IMHO its either economical to pay Kwikfit [other fitters are available] to do it, or its time for a change of vehicle.
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - Baz
I've never done well DIYing pattern exhaust parts. Bits never come apart properly and then never seem to go back together again either......
Definitely....good advice that. I bought a back box for my daughters Panda last year and put it on myself. 3 hours underneath it in the freezing cold with my nose pressed against the boot floor, eyes and nose streaming with crud, couldn't get the old one off and the new one on! I suppose if I had a heated workshop, welder and a hoist it would have been a 10 minute job. Ached for days afterwards!
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - Armel Coussine
The barked knuckles, the toxic gunge, the bits of glass fibre in the skin of your hands, the hammering, the wrenching, the having to loosen it up again just to turn one joint through 10 degrees to stop something knocking on the body or back axle... all part of the fun when you're still young, strong and vainglorious, another matter altogether when you're old and wimpish.

There comes a time when you gotta give it best. A decent indy is worth his weight in gold. But it takes years of hands-on barked-knuckle grappling with the automobile to learn the difference between a decent one and some con man. So it wasn't just wasted effort.
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - sherlock47
The secret is to have a pit in the garage! Everybody jokes about it, the wife threatens to put me in it on a regular basis, but it has paid for itself many times over.

Ok - there are problems, how did I know it was going to be directly in the line of of a watercourse linking 2 ponds in the village. Builders who thought 15cm of concrete would keep it all out. So I am on my fourth submersible pump in 25 years - - (it is only pumped dry when I need it) and it will take several weeks for the level to creep slowly upwards. The interesting thing is that the level of the bottom of the pit is above the the level of the garden which is only 5m away!

I always make sure somebody else is around when in it, heavier than air gases can be a problem. And you never want to drop eeven a small amount of petrol in it.

It has even been suggested that it could be used a my final resting place, devaluing the property to below the iht limit. Not sure what IR would make of that, they take a dim view of ransom strips.
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - bathtub tom
>>it becomes a fitting issue then...

That's why I give the joints and threads a squirt of Plus-gas every time I'm under it. Seems to work, so far................
Rational decision made. The exhaust joint has progressively got worse - MoT due on 21st. So sadly its off to the scrappy today. Been a damn good motor but rusted but it carried on regardless - superb little engine - used no oil in our tenure. We've bought a 55 plate Ka. Not quite bangernomics. It's er...bumble bee yellow with black wings....
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 01:28
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - Runfer D'Hills
The only what in the village exactly?

;-)
Bumble Bees.....!

Scrapped cars £90.00 a tonne. So the Fiesta netted £80.00 ! Plus two months tax back.
How much did you get stung for that? Still, it might be a honey. Ok I'll stop now. Should I buzz off...?
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - Zero
Ah the queen in skirts is off on one again. Hive this off into its own thread.
At least I still need a comb.
>> At least I still need a comb.

....over
Picked it up tonight. 55 plate (06) - £1100.00. 29k from new..MOTs corroborate the mileage back from 2010. No reason to think it's any more than that. Just had four new tyres, some history. Seems tidy enough. Bit of a ding on one side. May or may not sort it. Drives well enough, superb Ford controls....No air-con to break, no leccy windows, no central locking, but has ABS.

£80.00 quid for the Fiesta. Spread of scrappies phoned and seems £90.00 per tonne is the going rate.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 11 Apr 14 at 20:56
Sounds fab Rob. I think you are, um, quite brave with the colour though ! I used to love ours. You could just hurl it about. It reminded me of an old Mini in that way. We might well have still had it if 'she' hadn't hurled it onto its roof.

I predict that you will use it it more than anything. Unlike the other two cars you have you can more or less rag that to its limit all the time without major risk to your licence.

Eager terriers really.

Edit - the scowly wisnae me.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 11 Apr 14 at 21:52
Didn't even cross my mind you would - good lord, who the hell found that offensive enough to give it a scowly?

Some bald git who has to comb over no doubt. - come on - own up whoever you were.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 11 Apr 14 at 22:07
>> Some bald git who has to comb over no doubt. - come on - own
>> up whoever you were.

Yup, come on all you comb-overs, form an orderly line in pairs....
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 11 Apr 14 at 22:10
I think come overs are quite manly....wasn't me.
>>I think come overs are quite manly

Perhaps, but we're talking about comb overs here, a quite different thing.
I used to work with a guy who had a Woganesque comb over. It was so carefully done that it became the subject of speculation as to whether it was or it wasn't.

Then one day in a high wind it flapped over like a wheely bin lid removing any doubt.

As it happens, so far my barnet remains intact but were it to thin I'd not bother raking strands about, I'd just have it cut very short.
When younger I had hair to my waist. And since my hair is somewhere between blond and white it used to look rather lovely. At least the right number of girlies thought so.

Then as I started working seriously I kind of went a bit George Michael.

Then when I was about 32 a lady in a hairdressers I didn't normally used asked if she should leave it a bit longer on the top "for sir to comb".

I had a No. 4 over my whole head that night, and had it ever since - although the acreage actually needing cutting has substantially reduced over time.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 11 Apr 14 at 22:47
The car hasn't had a "haircut".
You could put floral stickers on it and pretend to be hippies.
Eyebrows have already been mentioned....but only in a post modern ironic sense
Now that would be an ambitious comb over.
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - Dog
>>When younger I had hair to my waist

Blimey m8, I never realised, what axe do you prefer?

I started orf with the Les Paul but much prefer my 62 reissue Jap Strat which sounds great with the Ernie Ball super-slinkies.
 We've bought a Ford....oh Joy. - Armel Coussine
>> I'd not bother raking strands about, I'd just have it cut very short.
Latest Forum Posts