Motoring Discussion > Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 19

Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - henry k
Re risk to children.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19946656
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - DP
Why would anyone do this?
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - WillDeBeest
Nice bit of statistical, erm, smokescreening from the Big Tobacco apologist: '84 percent of adults don't smoke with children in a car'. Well, 79 percent don't smoke at all, which means that three quarters of smokers do smoke with children in the car. But they consider it their private space so I suppose that's OK.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - Dutchie
How times have changed regarding smoking.The majority of people I knew as a child smoked sigs sigars pipes no holds barred.<:) Onboard ship the old mans cabin used to be blue of smoke whilst talking to ships agents and customs.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - L'escargot
>> Why would anyone do this?
>>

Because they're addicted to nicotine. They need to get a regular "fix" to ward off withdrawal symptoms.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - Dutchie
Agree Les it is a strong addiction unfortenately.Antisocial smoking in front of kids in a small space.We know now how much damage it can cause.Surely people can show a bit of willpower.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - MJM
>>In 49 of the 85 journeys in total, the driver smoked up to four cigarettes. <<

It seems to me that smoking 4 cigarettes an hour is barely possible. I doubt that this level of smoking over that time span is anywhere near normal.
85 journeys is a very small sample size.

>>During these 49 smoking journeys, levels of fine particulate matter averaged 85µg/m3, which is more than three times higher than the 25µg/m3 maximum safe indoor air limit recommended by the World Health Organization. <<

The article is unclear as to whether the fine particulate matter levels were caused purely by tobacco smoke or included other matter; exhaust particulates for example.

>>"According to research, 84% of adults don't smoke in a car with children present so legislation to ban it would be disproportionate. <<

I took this to mean that 84% of smokers don't smoke in a car with children present. The article is unclear.

>>And last November the British Medical Association said an outright ban - even if there were no passengers - would be the best way of protecting children as well as non-smoking adults. <<

If there are no passengers, how can there be children and non-smoking adults to protect? Pure rhetoric.

>>The British Medical Association says all smoking in cars should be banned. <<

They would, wouldn’t they? Pure rhetoric again.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - Lygonos
I love smokers.

Saves me a fortune in tax.

I don't love their children - that's their job.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - Zero
>> >>In 49 of the 85 journeys in total, the driver smoked up to four cigarettes.
>> <<
>>
>> It seems to me that smoking 4 cigarettes an hour is barely possible.

Most smokers smoke between 20 and 40 ciggies a day - Some do 60 . I was a 20 to 30 a day man.

Assuming there are 8 hours a night spent in bed, thats 16 hours available to smoke. ^ hours a day is probably spent in situations where you cant smoke, that leaves 10 hours a day to smoke.

So people are getting through 2-6 ciggies an hour. 4 is easily achievable.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - Bromptonaut

>> So people are getting through 2-6 ciggies an hour. 4 is easily achievable.
>>
>>

Tallies with my observations in days when office smoking was allowed.
My old man stopped smoking after seeing 3 fags in the office ashtray on the go at once.

They were all his - every time the 'phone rang he'd light another up.

Suggested to him he maybe wasn't in complete control of his habit :-)
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - Ted

Thin end of the wedge...they'll be trying to stop us smoking in shops and pubs..or on the train or plane next !

Gonna get me pipe out tomorrow and smoke some of my Holger-Dansk in me car as a protest !

Ted
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - madf

When mobile phones are banned from car use , then I would agree to banning smoking.

Mobile phone use is banned in cars? Well I never..

Another potentially unenforceable law proposed by muppets who think there are traffic police with nothing to do..
Laws aren't passed so that they can be enforced.

Laws are used to influence societal behaviour.

Drinking and driving endangers others - it's illegal.
Less people drink and drive than in the past.

Driving without seatbelts leads to more road deaths - it's now illegal.
Less people drive without seatbelts.

Using a handheld phone to text/call is dangerous - it's now illegal.
Less people use mobiles to phone/text than in the past.

You don't "win" because you manage to break a law and not get caught - some people are just ignorant/reckless anyway.

Whether smoking in a car harms children is debatable. The fact it's debatable should be a good enough reason not to do it. making it illegal removes a degree of doubt.

Some people will continue to ignore this.

Human nature.

Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - DP
>> Because they're addicted to nicotine. They need to get a regular "fix" to ward off
>> withdrawal symptoms.

I was a 20 a day smoker until last week. I also have two small children. I have never smoked in the car (or any other enclosed space) in their presence.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - diddy1234
I wonder what they'd say about people using e-cigs.

probably nothing as its "too new" and not enough studies made yet.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - Harleyman
>> I wonder what they'd say about people using e-cigs.
>>
From what I've seen of friends using them, they're as much faff as a pipe so from a driving point of view probably as big a distraction.

I can't help wondering if anyone has absentmindedly chucked one out of a car window yet?
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> I can't help wondering if anyone has absentmindedly chucked one out of a car window
>> yet?
>>
Not out of a car window, but into the compost bin after "dousing" it in the pond. Old habits die hard. Mind you, they are so useless that's about all they're worth.

Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - TeeCee
So some people are stupid enough to smoke with kids in the car and the proposed solution is to ban smoking in cars for everyone? Net effect, yet another load of perfectly innocent and well-behaved people suddenly find themselves on the wrong side of the law and the law becomes even more of an ass than it was before.
Straight out of the "think of the children" and "we must be seen to be doing something" school of legislative kneejerking.

I cannot help but think that the world would be a much finer place if we took everyone who comes up with that sort of idea and executed them. Drooling, kneejerk lunacy should be a capital offence.
 Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit' - Zero
>> the world would be a much finer place if
>> we took everyone who comes up with that sort of idea and executed them.

What a classic case of Drooling, kneejerk lunacy
Latest Forum Posts