Motoring Discussion > Jeep Cherokee - CRD - Mini Road Test Review
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 2

Jeep Cherokee - CRD - Mini Road Test Review - nice but dim
I had the opportunity to drive one of these today from Sheffield to Nottingham and back (100 miles) :)

I've never driven a 4x4 before and faced with the choice of taking the works van (newish VW Transporter) or the Jeep I plumped for the Jeep.

Jeep Cherokee CRD 2006 120,000 miles
First impressions were good, nice high driving position and instantly felt comfortable in the nice leather seats. There was plenty of visibility, I like them high driving positions.

Interior: Nice inside, felt Japanese to touch and look but not a bad thing. Plenty of space front and back and decent sized boot. Strange read out in the roof displaying farenheit and miles to empty range ( no instant mpg readout). Built in satnav/radio but the satnav needed a CD to work. Cruise control on steering wheel worked well so no suprises.

Driving: Wasn't sure of engine size (2.5 or 2.8) from googling. I forgot I wasnt in a petrol car and turned the key (remembering to press clutch down) resulting in a bit of cranking to fire up and then a truck like clank on fire up but settled down to a quite rumble. Gearbox throw massive but used to it by the first junction. Engine very punchy, no need to go over 2000 rpm with tons of torque. Stayed in 6th all time on motorway and 40-80mph arrived with a whoosh of turbo pull. No difference in performance to your usual repmobile.

Handling: It's a 4x4 so knew what to expect. Took it easy considering the height got used to it.

Other things: Used £20 of diesel to do 100 miles so not good on fuel even on motorway. It's got a stupid button to you have to press to take the key out.

Would I buy one? No I don't need a car like that.

Would I have one if it was given and funded? Hell yeah, enjoyed driving it.

They have their critics, I'm not one of them. I liked it. I would have liked it even more if it was a big straight six or V8!
 Jeep Cherokee - CRD - Mini Road Test Review - Manatee
>>Used £20 of diesel to do 100 miles so not good on fuel even on motorway.

On the face of it, about 32mpg. Not bad if you weren't trying particularly hard to be economical.
 Jeep Cherokee - CRD - Mini Road Test Review - nice but dim
Yeah I suppose it's not bad considering I get same from my much lighter petrol car at the same usage.
Latest Forum Posts