Motoring Discussion > MB mpg Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 7

MB mpg - PhilW
Now I know modern cars have good fuel economy but.....
had a long day - an SL 500 from E Mids to Carlisle (via Blackpool), SL 350 from Carlisle to Bristol. Then picked up E220 to take back to E Mids which had a bit of fuel in it. Having spent a lot on fuel for SLs (they did about 30mpg overall - not much difference between the two), thought I would try to get as far as poss without putting any in E220. M5, M42, M6 then some (20 miles?) country roads. Cruise control at 75 on motorways (70 really) and plenty where CC couldn't be used because of congestion, slowing when overtaken, accelerating to overtake etc- no fuel put in and computer said 60.2 mpg overall -
60.2 ain't bad is it?
 MB mpg - WillDeBeest
Cruise control at 75 on motorways (70 really)...

In most cars, yes; in my E220, 75 mph on the dial means, as near as makes no difference, 75 on the road. And 41 mpg on the computer means 38 mpg at the pump. Never seen 50, never mind 60; those Blue Efficiency injectors must do a good job.
 MB mpg - Zero
>> 38 mpg at the pump. Never seen 50, never mind 60; those Blue Efficiency injectors
>> must do a good job.

While they are still working. From all accounts they don't do that for long.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 16 Oct 12 at 22:48
 MB mpg - madf
>> >> 38 mpg at the pump. Never seen 50, never mind 60; those Blue Efficiency
>> injectors
>> >> must do a good job.
>>
>> While they are still working. From all accounts they don't do that for long.
>>

MB claim to have fixed them - again.. and again...

"Mercedes say that a new injector system for C Class and E Class diesels with the OM651 engine have now been fixed
Back in 2010 we ran a report about failing injectors on Mercedes C and E Class diesel cars that was causing a significant number of new cars to fail, putting the car in to limp home mode and necessitating replacement injectors.
So extensive was the problem that many owners were waiting months for their cars to be fixed as Mercedes struggled with a mounting pile of broken cars and injectors that were failing.
Mercedes tell us that the problem was fixed with the release of new injectors later in 2010, but Cars UK readers have continued to complain about their cars needing multiple visits to dealers with injectors failing multiple times (that original story garnered more than 500 comments from disgruntled Mercedes owners).
So it seems that original fix in 2010 is still causing problems, with our readers still reporting failed injectors, so we’ve asked Mercedes for an update on the progress they’ve made with the injector problems.

"

tinyurl.com/cnzpsxb

MB mpg - Bill Payer
>> And 41 mpg on the computer means
>> 38 mpg at the pump. Never seen 50, never mind 60;

If that's steady speed cruising MPG it's not very good - my C270 Estate will show 50MPG no problem.
 MB mpg - Runfer D'Hills
I can easily get low 50s of mpg to show on the trip computer in my E250 estate on a long motorway run. I do though keep detailed records on fuel consumption for no reason I can think of other than habit and over the 12 months I've had the car, and the 36k miles it has done, it's average consumption is 46 mpg. I think that's pretty good for a thumping big automatic estate car with 200bhp which gets asked to hurry a bit most days.
 MB mpg - WillDeBeest
It is good, Humph, and I am a little disappointed with mine, which I'd hoped would at least be able to break 40 over a tankful. (Combined is about 39.) Other E220 W211 owners report low-40s so I suspect the culprit is southeastern traffic - that slushbox auto eats diesel when it's standing still.

Over 50,000 miles at today's prices, Humph's car will use about 1,000 litres or £1,450 less, which ought to cover the cost of a new set of injectors even if it needed one.

BP's car is smaller and powered by an older-tech engine, which would tend to be more economical anyway, so that's not a fair comparison.
 MB mpg - PeterS
I once had an E270 CDI and that would average 50+ mpg on a very long run (only really possble on the continent), though I'm sure that while just cruising 50mpg was easier to achieve. It's overall average over 40k miles was mid thirties though - and that was with a 60mile commute on fastish A/B roads. In comparison the E250 CDI will average 50+ mpg on much shorter journeys, if the trip computer is to be believed, and it's average in 1 year and 16k miles (can't keep up with Humph!) is just over 42mpg based on actual miles and litres purchased. Pretty good IMO
Latest Forum Posts