Motoring Discussion > Roll Up Garage Door Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 16

Roll Up Garage Door - Robbie34
Has anyone had these fitted?

I'm looking to have my garage fitted with one, and I'm looking for a reputable manufacturer/ installer. Preferably in the north- west -West Lancs/ Merseysde area.
 Roll Up Garage Door - Old Navy
If you want a door that opens vertically take a look at sectional doors, I have a Hormann sectional door, it is insulated and airtight.

www.hormann.co.uk/garage-doors/sectional-doors/
 Roll Up Garage Door - FocalPoint
I investigated a roll-up door to replace my not-very-nice up-and-over and found it would be much more than I was prepared to pay.
 Roll Up Garage Door - R.P.
Had one (German brand) in my old gaff - 13 years regular use, never a problem, totally reliable and weatherproof..
>> If you want a door that opens vertically take a look at sectional doors, I
>> have a Hormann sectional door, it is insulated and airtight.
>>
>> www.hormann.co.uk/garage-doors/sectional-doors/

This looks ideal. I have an up and over door and I need a bit extra width for the CR-V. The width of the opening - brick to brick - is nine feet, but there are 3" X 3" posts at each side to which the mechanism of the door is fixed.. I assume that I could lose these and gain about eight inches in width, if the sectional door fits against the brick at each side. The height of the present door is seven feet, so plenty of height for the CR-V, and leaving about twenty inches clearance.

Unfortunately, the site gives no mention of fitters.
 Roll Up Garage Door - No FM2R
>>Unfortunately, the site gives no mention of fitters.

They got a "Contact Us" page.

Could you not fill that in and ask them who they would recommend?
>> This looks ideal. I have an up and over door and I need a bit
>> extra width for the CR-V.

The sectional door fits to the inside face of the opening, I gained about 6" door width, but lost a few inches garage length when I replaced my up and over door. Hormann will have a list of approved installers.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 23 Oct 12 at 22:30
 Roll Up Garage Door - Falkirk Bairn
>> Has anyone had these fitted?
>>
>> I'm looking to have my garage fitted with one, and I'm looking for a reputable
>> manufacturer/ installer. Preferably in the north- west -West Lancs/ Merseysde area.
>>

Watch the height !

My car is too high to get by about 2 cms, even with the bee sting off.
 Roll Up Garage Door - Fullchat
The thought had crossed my mind recently to replace my heavy double 'up and over' with a sectional. Whats the the rough price of these things fitted?
£1500 single size with a Hormann Supramax high speed power operator.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 23 Oct 12 at 22:39
>> £1500 single size with a Hormann Supramax high speed power operator.

Does that include fitting, or will that be extra?
>> Does that include fitting, or will that be extra?
>>

That included fitting, two remote controls, a hard wired control panel for operating the door, switching the light, (it also works automatically), and switching the radio receiver if you want to disable the remote controls. Also a control button inside the garage door. The control panel is by the door from the house to the garage. There was already a power socket in the garage ceiling for the operator supply.

The old door removal and fitting take two people most of a day.

This company fitted mine, reccomended if you are in central Scotland.

expressgaragedoors.co.uk/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 10:15
Thanks to Old Navy. Had a quote this morning from the company recommended by Hormann. They gave me a good price so I'm getting an M-ribbed steel panel door. Should be installed in a few weeks.
 Roll Up Garage Door - sherlock47
In Hertfordshire (the expensive south), assuming a standard 7' width Hormann ribbed sectional door, it should cost you about £1300 fully fitted with a Hormann automation. Hormann are currently doing some deals, (probably based on the weakness of the €), that should allow your supplier to make you a better offer. It may depend on whether they receive product directly from the manufacturer.

It may be that you are a long distance from the supplier that you have chosen, so he is charging a premium, but it is still surprising how much you have been quoted. Go back and play hardball.

I hesitate to make a recommendation , (a personal friends business), but if anybody wants one for herts/essex/N London, contact me via the mods.

I'm getting a 7'6" wide X 7' high Hormann M-ribbed door with an extra transmitter fully fitted for £1293.
 Roll Up Garage Door - IJWS14
My father has a roller door, large double garage and high enough to get a caravan in, been in for 12 years or more, no problems.

Due to the size his is an industrial door. The width also means it rattles in the wind so he has a prop to reduce the movement and noise.
 Roll Up Garage Door - Bill Payer
Those prices don't seem bad at all - I did mine about 10yrs ago and bought a Clopay insulated sectional door from B&Q for £250 and a Chamberlain opener from Screwfix for £150. The outer seal set was, IIRC, another £30. I must have spent another £50 or so on sundry hardware (I used adhesive anchor bolts for the vertical part of the track as it mounts close the edge of the brick) and electrical stuff. Oh, and I had to pay £20 to hire B&Q's van to get it home.

Clopay is American and it's pretty well the standard door in the US - but I think they pulled out of the UK and B&Q haven't sold them for years. It works very well though - I went a bit mad and got the heavier duty opener but you can literally open and close the door with a fingertip. In fact I only bought the opener as the door on display didn't have a lock or handle so I thought it would 'clean', but when I got the door home, holes were pre-cut for those. Doh!

Bearing in mind I had to remove and dispose of the old door myself and I spent one weekend fitting the door and track and then another weekend doing the opener then I think getting the whole job done for £1300 or so is pretty good. I would imagine a couple of guys who were doing this sort of thing everyday could easily do the whole job in 3 or 4 hours.

Latest Forum Posts