Motoring Discussion > A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 18

A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-20082740

14:15 BST . 62mg/100ml
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Focusless
"Tunnicliffe was told to take his hands out of his pockets before the hearing started."

That probably hurt more than the £800 fine :)
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Harleyman

>> That probably hurt more than the £800 fine :)
>>

Which isn't exactly going to hurt a 19-year-old who can afford to insure a £30,000 Range Rover.
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Meldrew
He must be Roo's stunt double!
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Bromptonaut
>> He must be Roo's stunt double!

Has anyone seen them both on the same teamsheet?
The same was said years ago of Manfred Winkelhock and Derek Bell (shows my age!). They were never seen together as they only had one wig between them!

What about a special deal for young drunk drivers? Send them to prison until they are 21
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Alastairw
Claim to fame alert.
Tunnicliffes grandad was an Olympic gamesmaker with me this summer. When I last saw him he had just collected on his share of the bet placed by his son when the lad was 9 that he would play for the reds at some point. I imagine he is keeping quiet about the family connection now.
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Zero

>> What about a special deal for young drunk drivers? Send them to prison until they
>> are 21

Indeed they are murdering thousands of people, its a real plague.....

Think you will find the real drink driving recidivists are those of much more mature years.
Recidivists have to start somewhere. Getting away with it while young might be the start of long life of drink driving.
Its not, really. The vast majority of young drivers I know wouldn't consider drinking and driving, simply not done. A larger proportion of the older drivers I know will push their luck much more.
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Robin O'Reliant
Drink driving has increased markedly among the young. In my first decade as an ADI I never heard of a former pupil getting a DD ban, in the latter decade there were more than a few.
>> Drink driving has increased markedly among the young. In my first decade as an ADI
>> I never heard of a former pupil getting a DD ban, in the latter decade
>> there were more than a few.

My two are obsessively careful about DD. Took some convincing that Miss B would be OK with a SC & lemonade ahead of big meal at her brother's 18th and drive home 2hrs later.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 25 Oct 12 at 20:52
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - zookeeper
oh dont forget, its clock putting back time soon ...remember where the headlight switch is , many dont ...come knocking off time
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Mapmaker
>>Took some convincing that Miss B would be OK with a SC & lemonade ahead of big meal at
>>her brother's 18th and drive home 2hrs later

Why did you feel the need to convince her? She's not very old, is she; not been driving that long, doesn't like the feeling of being out of control. Seems very sensible to me not to drink at all!

Many drivers won't drink at all; they feel first one is the start of a slippery slope; particularly I think the younger amongst the population.

By the way, what is a SC? Cannot guess (other than Slimline Coke, which it obviously isn't...).
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - No FM2R
Southern Comfort?
If it was my child it would get such a slapping. You have made a right BU of bringing up your kids.

No-one should be allowed to put lemonade in a SC.
>> Why did you feel the need to convince her? She's not very old, is she;
>> not been driving that long, doesn't like the feeling of being out of control. Seems
>> very sensible to me not to drink at all!

We were going to walk to venue but it tipped down as we were ready to leave. She stepped up to plate and said she'd drive us there in the 'lingo. She's 20 and been driving two and a half years. Quite confident and very competent.

Once in restaurant she suggested she'd like a Southern Comfort & lemo but was concerned about being over limit.

We simply reassured her that one unit before a decent meal and with 90mins to break it down wasn't a problem.

They need to understand this stuff.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 26 Oct 12 at 20:17
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Biggles
"My instructions are that he had consumed alcohol the evening before and unfortunately, in an error of judgment on his part, he thought he would be below the legal limit and he was able to drive."

Is this lawyer speak for "My instructions are to keep quiet about the drinks he had just before he got into his RR and crashed it"?
 A steep learning curve ! Drink driving. - Slidingpillar
If he really did only drink the night before and he was still that drunk in the afternoon of the following day - must have been quite some session with a life-threatening amount of alcohol being imbibed.

No, I don't believe it either. The lawyer's words make it clear that was what he told, not that he personally says it's the truth.
Latest Forum Posts