Motoring Discussion > reversing in a one way stree/rd Legal Questions
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 5

reversing in a one way stree/rd - zookeeper
is it illegal to reverse down a one way street? and does reversing down a one way street but maintaining traffic flow ( pointing the wrong way) considered legal?
 reversing in a one way stree/rd - Armel Coussine
It seems positively perverse to reverse down a one way street in the permitted traffic direction.

Reversing against the traffic direction - reversing back up the one way street - is likely to be regarded as illegal if you do it for a long way in front of a bored traffic plod car.

In any case all such manoeuvres should be done with due caution and correctly timed to minimise risk and disruption. A lot of drivers simply aren't up to it, I have observed. Urban warriors in taxis and vans do it best, or they did until the new generation of pratnav-fixated immigrant wimps driving enormous people carriers that pass for minicabs in London these days.
 reversing in a one way stree/rd - bathtub tom
IIRC it's an offence to reverse an excessive distance.

It certainly can't be illegal to reverse in a one way street, parallel parking would be impossible otherwise.

I guess it's down to the opinion of the BIB.
 reversing in a one way stree/rd - Rudedog
Reversing up the wrong way of a WWS happens frequently where I am, drivers instead of going around the block reverse up the street into a public car park, strangely these drivers don't understand why drivers coming down the road don't move out of their way to allow easy access, I've seen many a close call as you don't really expect a car coming at you at speed.
 reversing in a one way stree/rd - Cliff Pope
>> IIRC it's an offence to reverse an excessive distance.
>>

One could argue that a one way street is just half an ordinary street, so you can do anything you are allowed to do in a 2-way street, except drive in the missing half, because it isn't there.
 reversing in a one way stree/rd - Robin O'Reliant
Exactly the same rules apply to reversing in a one way street as to a two way. In both cases the stated "excessive distance" applies.
Latest Forum Posts