Motoring Discussion > Genuine or scam? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 7

Genuine or scam? - Pat
As I said in another post the GSX1400 was advertised in Bike Trader on Monday for two weks.

Tonight we have received this and the warning bells are ringing a bit.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

>>Please note this e-mail is from an interested customer not from Auto Trader.

Never reply to an e-mail that asks for personal information or copies of your vehicle documentation including the V5C. Keep vehicle documentation and details regarding your vehicle including your VIN number secure at all times.

If you are in doubt regarding an e-mail you have received, report it immediately to enquiries@autotrader.co.uk or call us on 0845 345 3450.

The following customer is interested in the vehicle you are advertising on
www.biketrader.co.uk

Received: 26 October 2012 13:06

Customer Details:
NAME: MR (edited out but a very english name)
TELEPHONE: Edited out
EMAIL: ?????????@yahoo.co.uk

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: SUZUKI
MODEL: GSX
PRICE: £3000

I am from france,i saw your advert on and i am very much intrested in buying your Bike and payment will be by banker's draft or cheque drawn from a Uk bank,so if you still have it for sale and you are okay with my payment method i will want you to get back to me with the following conditions below:
1,The Bike present body condition:
2,Your last offer for the Bike:
3,The latest pictures apart from the once on
4,You can easily reach me on this number ??????????
I'll be looking forward to your response.
Thanks and Have a Nice day.
Regards

<<<<

Something just doesn't seem tight.

Pat
 Genuine or scam? - No FM2R
Pat - REALLY not right.

Person A would like to buy your bike for £100.
Person B owes Person A £1000
Would you please accept a bankers draft from Person B, pay it into your bank account, subtract the generous valuation of your bike, and forward Person A the Balance.

Some weeks later, draft comes back as fraudulent and monies removed from your account.

Unfortunately you've already paid the "balance" to Person A.

And they don't want the bike, you can keep it. They want the balance you sent them.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 26 Oct 12 at 18:18
 Genuine or scam? - Zero
Its a scam, the web is full of examples of them all exactly the same words and format.
 Genuine or scam? - Pat
Thanks Guys, it's the end of a long hard week and both of us thought it was 'wrong'.

I knew the quickest and easiest way was to ask on here!

Ian says that will save him having to go to the trouble of replying and thanks to you lot too:)

Pat
 Genuine or scam? - FocalPoint
My thoughts:

It doesn't seem the writer's first language is English, or possibly his language skills are just poor, though I'm not sure how important that is. ("Bike present body condition", "I saw your advert on", "the following conditions", "your last offer".)

He seems very keen to impress on you his proposed method of payment. I'm not sure I'd take a banker's draft and immediately hand over the bike and certainly not a cheque - there are too many stories about cheques that (apparently) bounce weeks after they are cleared. As for banker's drafts, these can be stolen or forged.

As always, trust your gut feeling; if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't right.
 Genuine or scam? - Old Navy
SCAM - If he is that keen to buy the bike he will get to you with cash in hand.
 Genuine or scam? - Meldrew
No GSX 1400s for sale in France?
 Genuine or scam? - BobbyG
Maybe he needed a right hand drive...........
Latest Forum Posts