Motoring Discussion > Which is greener Green Issues
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 13

Which is greener - IJWS14
The (grown up) kids were with us for the weekend and one of the jobs was to accompany my daughter to collect her new car.

Walking round the drive later comparing tax discs I was surprised.

Now of four cars which does the government see as the least green based on first year road fund (and no googling)

1. Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4 petrol (registered Nov 2011)
2. VW Passat 2.0 TDI 140 SE saloon (registered May 2012)
3. Audi A5 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 S Line (Registered October 2012)
4. Audi A1 1.4 TFSi Sport (Registered October 2012)

No prizes
 Which is greener - Focusless
I don't reckon that Ford 1.4 is particularly efficient, compared to the rest. And I guess you wouldn't have asked the question unless the answer was non-intuitive....?
 Which is greener - Lygonos
or

5. Kill yourselves - save the planet.
 Which is greener - Zero
 Which is greener - rtj70
It'll be the 1.4 Fiesta I'm sure. I have a 170PS diesel VW and the tax disk is cheaper than my wife's 1.1 Seicento! The Passat if it's like mine will have stop-start and this lowers CO2 rating - and this one will be lower than mine because it's only 140PS
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 31 Oct 12 at 14:02
 Which is greener - mikeyb
The Fiesta has the highest Co2 but there is not much difference between all of those models
3 of them are zero priced RFL fot the first year, the Fiesta is the odd one out being £118.50

Surprised me.

But then it should not have done, when I was looking at cars the Mondeo was dismissed for 2 reasons, the looks and the CO emissions.

Which is greener - Focusless
My Focus has had a CO2 of 205; the new 2+ ton TDV6 Range Rover is 196 :o
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/land-rover/range-rover-2013-road-test/
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 1 Nov 12 at 07:53
 Which is greener - PeterS
£118 seems a lot fr a Fiesta; I've just paid £135 for 12 months tax on mine, and that's a 1.8 tonne, 2.1 litre automatic (albeit diesel). Interestingly that's half the cost of the road tax on our A4, which is petrol, that generates almost exactly the same power and has similar performance.
>> My Focus has had a CO2 of 205; the new 2+ ton TDV6 Range Rover
>> is 196 :o
>> www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/land-rover/range-rover-2013-road-test/
>>

But as has been seen doing well in the CO test does not mean economical

All are first year discs. Unusual for us to have four new cars at the same time.

Which is greener - rtj70
I didn't read the OP properly - missed the first year bit. Yes my Passat was £0 for RFL in the first year.
The Sharan is about £180 a year - old technology by today's standards (1.9 PD TDi)

The V60 is £30 a year - not sure about first year though - guess free
 Which is greener - rtj70
My Passat CC GT with a 170PS diesel is £100pa for road tax. Not too bad I suppose. It's not a small car and it rides on wide 18" wheels.*

* So will be poor if we have a bad winter. I was lucky last year.
18" on the Volvo to so also hoping for a kind winter :-)

TBH I think the Sharans tax is not to bad considering it ferries 7 of us about averaging 42-48 mpg. I keep trying to use man maths to justify changing it, but yesterdays passing of yet another MOT with not so much as an advisory is feeding Mrs B's desire to keep it forever!
Latest Forum Posts