Motoring Discussion > I've Been Hit! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alastairw Replies: 30

I've Been Hit! - Alastairw
Wending my weary way home last night I was in teh inside lane of a local 4 lane single carriageway (the A6). Traffic was solid but moving in the familiar commuter fashion.

To pass a cyclist I eased out to the white line and safely passed him. The driver of a Mondeo in the outside lane, well behind me, took exception to this and hooted her horn. Hey ho, my bad, thinks I.

The traffic then came to a halt a set of traffic lights, by which time the Mondeo was ahead of me. The passenger door opened, and the passenger came over to 'have a word'. Perhaps unwisely I opened the window as the young man unleashed a torrent of abuse, as I had the nerve to 'cut up his girlfreind' 'Get out of the car says he'. The traffic had started to move, so I did likewise, but matey gave chase on foot so when traffic stopped he caught up and again demanded I get out. When I refused, and before I could shut the window he PUNCHED me, in the face, quite hard. Thankfully, the lights changed and I was able to make my escape.

Now my driving may well have been in the wrong, at least in this ginger bearded chaps mind, but in what way does punching someone in their car help the situation. In twenty five years driving this has never happened before.

I didn't get the reg of the car (61 plate Mondeo estate) and anyway it wasnt the driver that hit me. As there isnt any bruise on the old fizog there is no point taking it any further, but I certainly won't be opening the window when someone wants a word in future.
 I've Been Hit! - zippy
The world is getting more aggressive, especially with people like this getting let off violent crimes with no real punishment.....

tinyurl.com/an3l5lq

....and therefore no incentive to behave.
 I've Been Hit! - Zero

>> I didn't get the reg of the car (61 plate Mondeo estate)

Why not? I would have done

and anyway it
>> wasnt the driver that hit me.

Thats not the point

As there isnt any bruise on the old fizog
>> there is no point taking it any further, but I certainly won't be opening the
>> window when someone wants a word in future.

There is plenty of point in taking it further, like laying on a charge of assault.
There is no point going further because I didnt get the plate, thats why. I didn't get it down because I was more concerned with getting away.

I just hope the next time he gets all shouty he comes across a Kenneth Noye type.
 I've Been Hit! - Armel Coussine
>> I just hope the next time he gets all shouty he comes across a Kenneth Noye type.

He will, with luck. But you should have got the number of the car and taken it further. People like that shouldn't be free to circulate. They need a ball and chain.
 I've Been Hit! - sooty123
Sounds like a right 'un! Hope you're ok
' but I certainly won't be opening the window when someone wants a word in future.'
Wise after the event I know a few who keep their doors locked at all times when driving. I would still report it to the police he might well do it again, even if it's a only a bit of info it might help.
 I've Been Hit! - teabelly
Report to local plod. Car may have been caught on cctv so they may be able to get the whole plate.

It is worth taking it further. Anyone that behaves like that is a danger to others.
Last edited by: teabelly on Thu 1 Nov 12 at 19:21
 I've Been Hit! - Lygonos
I'd report it too - someone else may have tagged his car but not yours and told the Police.

I've Been Hit! - Clk Sec
Quite a nasty confrontation, Alastair. Glad to hear you're OK, though.

I've Been Hit! - -
As above, report it as best you can.

The place is getting bad enough without half wits like this twerp wandering around unchecked.

I've Been Hit! - zippy
May even be on CCTV so worth reporting.
 I've Been Hit! - corax
Perhaps he would have preferred it if you had kept your line and hit the cyclist. Sometimes you can't slow down to a cyclists speed to wait until it's clear, you'd end up being hit up the rear. You did the right thing and kept up with traffic flow. I do this, with a quick flash of indicators. Anyone with half decent vision understands what's happening.

I think you've learn't your lesson. Windows closed, doors locked, try to remain calm and ignore them. Anyone trying to get at you just looks a fool.
 I've Been Hit! - Runfer D'Hills
Oh dear Alastair. Put it down to the other guy being a twonk. Hope you aren't too shaken up?

A similar thing happened to a good friend of mine some years ago. He is a charming, quiet, intelligent and normally easy going sort of guy. He is though an ex Scottish international team rugby player and weighs in at the thick end of 6' 5" and 18 stone of fairly much equal proportions of bone and muscle. I won't name him because he's fairly well known but suffice it to say the road rager will probably think twice about striking a seated driver again...

:-)
 I've Been Hit! - nyx2k
i do hope you aren't to shaken up.

I've Been Hit! - Focusless
What a horrible experience Alastair. Not at all surprised you didn't get the reg; I doubt I would have either having led a pretty sheltered life, I'd have been in shock. Tend to agree with the others that you should at least try reporting it though.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 1 Nov 12 at 20:25
 I've Been Hit! - Robin O'Reliant
A frightening experience.

I would bet that this nutter has a criminal record for violent crimes, probably going back a few years too. As others have said it might be worth reporting in case he was caught on CCTV.
 I've Been Hit! - WillDeBeest
Sorry to hear about this, Alastair. Whatever another driver's opinion of your manoeuvre, opinion is as far as it should have gone. No excuse for behaviour like that.

Not having the full number needn't stop you reporting it to the police. You were in traffic, so others were present and may have seen something, and you have a description of the assailant and the car he was travelling in, so there's a chance there's something they could do with the information you have. Worth a try if you can face it.
 I've Been Hit! - Zero
Things can get a bit more serious in Russia

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2_h7xwCLE&feature=fvwp
 I've Been Hit! - MD
The Bat & Hatchet. Nice name for a Pub!!
 I've Been Hit! - Ted

Nearly happened to me...what is it with our area, Alistair ?
Young smart pro in a black beemer seriously cut me up trying to change lanes. I wasn't bothered, I'd anticipated it, but he had to justify himself by making it out to be my fault that he'd almost sideswiped me.

He stopped at the roundabout ahead and walked back to me.....I assume he must have thought I was too big and ugly so he ran back to his car and scuttled off. I had my right hand down by the seat holding my trolley jack handle...he didn't see that.

I tailgated him for a couple of miles for a bit of fun...but I got bored with it in the end.

Report it Al, it's an assault........hope you're all right.

Ted
 I've Been Hit! - RattleandSmoke
You need to report it, if that nutter snaps at you for doing something like that, who is to say he is not also belting one out on his girlfriend everytime she spends a bit too much money in a clothes shop?

There is CCTV every where, and if you give an exact time it happened they are likely to get his full plate number. Newer Mondeos are fairly rare now which helps.
 I've Been Hit! - wotspur
Agree with others, you must report it, and possibly worth notifying the local paper, it might jut flush out the culprit, or a witness might come forward
I doubt cctvS will help unless a private house/ office might help out. After my accident on the A316 by Twickenham, I asked plod, could the car who caused the accident be seen on CCTV, he said non were currently operational -great
 I've Been Hit! - mikeyb
Report it.

People like this need to be dealt with, and left unchallenged he will probably escalate. Who knows where his behavior will lead to.

There is a chance that the police may be able to find some CCTV footage or another onlooker may have reported it
Firts time I have got near the computer since Thursday.

I have had a chat with our local CPSO and he has made report up the line, as it were. He doesnt know when/if anything will happen, but as said above it may help to establish a pattern.

Thanks for the kind words above. I have indeed moved on - life's too busy not to at the moment!
 I've Been Hit! - Clk Sec
>> I have indeed moved on

Good for you, Alastair.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Mon 5 Nov 12 at 18:14
 I've Been Hit! - Cliff Pope
You might spot the car again if they too do the same regular commute.
 I've Been Hit! - L'escargot
>> Perhaps unwisely I opened the window ............

Yep. I keep my doors locked and don't open the window to anyone except an on-duty officer of the law.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 6 Nov 12 at 08:41
 I've Been Hit! - VxFan
>> don't open the window to anyone except an on-duty officer of the law.

What happens if he turns out to be an imposter though?
 I've Been Hit! - Cliff Pope
If a man pointed a gun at me and demanded my wallet, I think I would wind down the window and give it to him (the wallet I mean, not the 44 Magnum I was concealing below the cill).
 I've Been Hit! - CGNorwich
"What happens if he turns out to be an imposter though?"

Don't worry the old chap ;-)
 I've Been Hit! - movilogo
Please report this.

It might be possible to identify the car from traffic cameras (if there are some on your way).

Physical assault is a serious crime and the chap must be punished.

Normal person won't behave in this way. So he must be a criminal already and police may be interested in finding him.

PS: Noticed that you reported.
Last edited by: movilogo on Tue 6 Nov 12 at 16:55
Latest Forum Posts