Motoring Discussion > Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 32

Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - RattleandSmoke
Ted and a few others will know this junction.

Nell Lane approaching Mauldeth Road West. I was coming from Princess Parkway heading towards Chorlton. It is a cross road but the but the north side of the junction is closed due to the building of the airport tram line.

I was at the traffic lights which were on red waiting to turn left. There is a counter flow in operation due to the fact the road is half shut. I as a turned left onto this single lane an Audi A3 was speeding towards me (looked like he was doing 40) I some how managed to swerve and avoid it, and luckily nothing was behind me. He must have jumped the light, and not realised there was a side road there. I reckon he was just inches away from hitting me even though I saw it coming and managed to avoid it.

Needless to say I am still a little shaken up. What is it with these idiots who think they can jump a red light? If he did hit me I would be in hospital now or worse.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 01:31
 Nearly had a nasty head on collosion - red light - CGNorwich
Glad you're OK Rattle. Stopping at red lights seem to have become optional for some.
 Nearly had a nasty head on collosion - red light - Ted

Audi owner.....'nuff said !

That junction is a pain now. It's the road we use to get to the kid's houses and many friend's places. Looks to be closed for some months, I think. They're putting the rails in for the airport branch.

Rats was turning left here, the road ahead is now blocked in the direction of Tedton Abbey. The trams will run on the green central reservation...left and right. Laid out for a tramway in 1929 but never used.

tinyurl.com/d6uvdjt

Ted
 Nearly had a nasty head on collosion - red light - wotspur
I blame stupidity at this time of year, on the clock changes and people not used to driving in the dark.
I had a Similar experience on Tuesday evening around 6 pm
Returning from Bracknell, I crossed over the M3 and headed towards Guildford, along the Dual-carriageway. Upto the roundabout and turned left past Gordon boys school, towards Cobham, suddenly a mini driver in oncoming traffic pulled out overtaking a slow moving line of traffic into a nonexistent space. I had to serve to avoid it and slam my brakes on and was fortunate not to be rear ended by a truck... The most amazing piece of stupidity I've experienced in years, still can't think what they were trying to achieve or what they thought they were doing
>>
 Nearly had a nasty head on collosion - red light - Zero
Wotspur me ole fruit, you are a motoring Jonah. I was on that very road 2.5 hours before you, I was ok this time, but can you post your advance movements on here, so we can avoid the areas you are traveling in?

Ta.
 Nearly had a nasty head on collosion - red light - hjd
I was also on that road, about an hour before Zero.
Worrying thought!
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - Armel Coussine
>> I reckon he was just inches away from hitting me even though I saw it coming and managed to avoid it.

Did the other car take any avoiding action Sheikha? Usually on these occasions both vehicles try to avoid the collision. Of course sometimes they do it wrong and hit each other.

Naturally I'm glad you and your car survived unharmed. But urban near-misses of that general sort are part of the learning process. You will have a lot more of them.

It's pointless to faff about your possible injuries if you had been hit. Injuries to the driver are quite rare in low-speed traffic collisions. Think positive: relaxed and always vigilant. And run red lights yourself when you know - repeat know - that it's safe to do so. If you can't beat them, join them, all right?
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - L'escargot
Most collisions are a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other.
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - CGNorwich

"Most collisions are a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other."

Really? Most collisions are rear enders where one vehicle is stationary.

Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - -
Avoiding collisions for many years requires a lions share of luck, you can help your own luck by driving for other peoples idiocy but eventually one of them will get you no matter how much you make allowance for them...for example by maintaining an extra large gap from the car in front when you have a moron following inches from you.
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - Bromptonaut
Red light jumping by motor vehicles is now universal in London; red is the new amber. The junction of Great George St and Parliament Square is particularly bad, the lights are ignored rather than jumped. Worst offenders are buses and taxis.
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - Clk Sec
No doubt the red light jumpers know which traffic light cameras are active, and which aren't.
>> No doubt the red light jumpers know which traffic light cameras are active, and which
>> aren't.

Away from major routes like the Embankment or Marylebone/Euston Road cameras are few and far between.
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - Zero
>> No doubt the red light jumpers know which traffic light cameras are active, and which
>> aren't.

Well I know which ones have them and which ones don't as i approach.
>> Red light jumping by motor vehicles is now universal in London; red is the new
>> amber. The junction of Great George St and Parliament Square is particularly bad, the lights
>> are ignored rather than jumped. Worst offenders are buses and taxis.

And Cyclists.
>> And Cyclists.

Not biting

Yet
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - Maisie's Dad
And pedestrians.
>>Well I know which ones have them and which ones don't as i approach.

That'll be when you've spotted the two 'jumpers' just ahead of you going over on red...
that and

"warning red light camera" sounding forth from the sat nav in Thatcherite tones.
Yes, of course, the satnav! I've never owned one but came within a hairs breadth of buying the same model tomtom as you have, but then, I believe you encountered a number of problems with it.

I see that Halfords currently have some good offers on their Garmin range. I might look at the 5" UK / ROI with free lifetime map updates, priced at £119.99. Only about a dozen reviews, but they are mostly positive.

Apologies for the thread drift.
>> Most collisions are rear enders where one vehicle is stationary.

If you can give me the source of that information, then I might rethink things.

Anyway, a stationary vehicle could be argued to be travelling too slowly. www.speedlimit.org.uk/art_slowdrive.html

>>
>> Anyway, a stationary vehicle could be argued to be travelling too slowly.

I'll remember that next time I'm in a traffic jam...
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - Rudedog
For me it's the 'smoked' side windows that can't be seen through and require the driver to roll down the window to see safely out, won't be long before they get T boned!
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - rtj70
>> For me it's the 'smoked' side windows that can't be seen through

If you mean front side windows... that's illegal tints.
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - Rudedog
Exactly! I would have thought that it was an easy pull for the police but they seem very reluctant to do this, I've had many a laugh at these drivers trying to park their car unable to see the kerbs.
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - Fullchat
SWMBO manages to scrape the alloys on the kerb even with legal windows. GRRRRR :((
Based om the Snails theory, the wife is blameless, its the kerbs fault for being there.

Still at least your wife didn't reverse into something and push the reversing senor out of the bumper. HTF!
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - WillDeBeest
¡Caramba! I hope the Spanish gent was none the worse for the experience.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 15:46
>> >> Anyway, a stationary vehicle could be argued to be travelling too slowly.
>>
>> I'll remember that next time I'm in a traffic jam...

I'm responsible for what my car is doing at all times. If my car's in a traffic jam it's because I've driven it there.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 14:20

>> I'm responsible for what my car is doing at all times. If my car's in
>> a traffic jam it's because I've driven it there.
>>

Agreed. So if you're in a stationary queue of traffic, at traffic lights say, and a vehicle coming up behind you crashes into you, that is partially your fault then? Just for being in the queue.
>>
>> >> I'm responsible for what my car is doing at all times. If my car's
>> in
>> >> a traffic jam it's because I've driven it there.
>> >>
>>
>> Agreed. So if you're in a stationary queue of traffic, at traffic lights say, and
>> a vehicle coming up behind you crashes into you, that is partially your fault then?
>> Just for being in the queue.

yeah, Just think if someone crashes into your car stationary at the lights, they will be blaming you and claiming off you for being there.
>> So if you're in a stationary queue of traffic, at traffic lights say, and
>> a vehicle coming up behind you crashes into you, that is partially your fault then?
>> Just for being in the queue.
>>

Yep. If you hadn't been in the queue the vehicle would have crashed into some other car.
 Nearly had a nasty head on collision - red light - Focusless
Clearly all murder victims are partially at fault for being born.

EDIT: no sorry, their parents are at fault. Or something.
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 2 Nov 12 at 15:03
Latest Forum Posts