Motoring Discussion > Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 17

Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - Zero
Today I was lucky enough to get down to Malvern ( nice day for a drive ) to the Morgan factory for a tour. Fascinating couple of hours, don't know any other manufacturing facility where you can get so close to the action, good to see they are thriving, good to see some engineering at work, and pleased to see a place where the apprenticeship system still has a solid foundation. I need to find a copy of the TV prog that John Harvey Jones did down there.

Took a million snaps with the iPhone, and just dumped them in here.

s606.beta.photobucket.com/user/know_wun/library/Morgan%20factory%20Tour
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - Armel Coussine
Good pix Zero. And completely correct to approve of Morgan of course.

Plus 8 is tempting but the best one I ever saw (and went in) was a race-tuned Plus 4. Some sort of Cortina or Pinto unit. That stuff off a shovel, no kidding...
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - hillman1
I did the tour in February with the family and mentioned it here. Really interesting day and the kids have now become firm Morgan fans!

Would really recommend it, and I thought it was veyr good value too.
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - Clk Sec
I must get to Malvern sometime; been promising myself for years.

What's the lead time these days, Zero? It was 7 years when I asked them, but that was in 1980!

Good pictures.

>> I must get to Malvern sometime; been promising myself for years.
>>
>> What's the lead time these days, Zero? It was 7 years when I asked them,
>> but that was in 1980!

For cars? depends on the car of course, 18 months average.
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - neiltoo
Number plate on that three wheeler could be valuable for someone.......
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - Ted

I delivered a customers car there for some work. One of the staff made me a cuppa and took me round.
Can't remember the year but they had chassis there with Ford CVH engines fitted in.

Ted
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - Falkirk Bairn
>>Can't remember the year but they had chassis there with Ford CVH engines fitted in.

Factory probably looks the same today as it did all these years ago............the cars look, on the outside at least, the same !!
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - NortonES2
Very good set of photos. Must have a good look through them later. I'd love to see the factory - so stoic in all the winds of change, but able to evolve! How did you wangle this Zero? Buying one?

>> to evolve! How did you wangle this Zero? Buying one?

www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/factoryvisits.html
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - Roger.
Thank you for those fascinating photographs, Zero.
Excellent stuff.
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - Chas
Went there last year. My wife was initially completely underwhelmed at the thought of going round a car factory only vaguely knowing what a Morgan was. By the end of the tour she was inspired by the old ways of working with the lean, fully traceable manufacturing methods. Staff were really friendly as well.

Great half day spent for anyone.
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - legacylad
I went round the AM factory at Newport Pagnell probably about 20 years ago. An equally good day out. Apart from the long drive there from oop North.
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - bathtub tom
>>I went round the AM factory at Newport Pagnell probably about 20 years ago.

Were you as underwhelmed as I at the lack of corrosion protection and the addition of an air-pump to shove fresh air up the exhaust to meet emissions requirements?

I also did a tour at an AM restorer nearby. I've seen Cortinas with less corrosion.
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - Dave_
Fascinating Zero. Dad and I have resolved to pop up there and do the same, as he now has one of their products...
He bought the T shirt?
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - Dave_
Almost, in fact he bought a late 3.5 carb +8.
 Morgan - Morgan factory Tour. - rtj70
I've had an 'unofficial tour' of the Bentley factory in Crewe. The main bit is more assembly there but the craftsmanship seen with leather and wood was impressive. And the rolling road they test the built cars on....... they run them practically flat out! And they soak them to make sure they are water tight.

Most impressive on the visit was the Bentley Blower. Can't remember which day of the week they drive it through the site.

Most disappointing was VW got rid of all Rolls Royce items. Regardless of importance. Cars and everything.
Latest Forum Posts