Motoring Discussion > Transferring a registration number Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 25

Transferring a registration number - L'escargot
For no reason other than it's something I've never done before, I'd like to transfer the registration number of my current car to my next (new) car. I understand that the dealer can arrange this. Normally when trading in for a new car, the new car is registered in advance of the actually swap, but I can't see how this could be the case if the number is being transferred. It's obvious that at no point can the two cars have the same registration number, so how is the transfer actually carried out? Is there likely to be a time delay between handing in the old car and driving away the new car?
 Transferring a registration number - Manatee
The dealer will do the transfer and you'll be able to drive in with the old one and out with the new. Your car will have been allocated a new number so will need new plates afterwards.
Thanks Manatee. It sounds as if you're speaking from personal experience.
 Transferring a registration number - Duncan
Is it SNA 1 L?
 Transferring a registration number - WillDeBeest
Given its vintage and its owner's tendency to protest too much, I suspect it's TR53 HGR.
}:---)
>> Is it SNA 1 L?
>>

Give me a wave if you see me! platewave.com/SNA1L
 Transferring a registration number - CGNorwich
What is this new car? Did you go for the Volvo?
>> What is this new car? Did you go for the Volvo?
>>

A V40 with T4 petrol engine is still currently at the top of my wish list. I'm going to want a 100 mile test drive to confirm it's the one. It'll probably be next spring.
You certainly like to plan ahead!
>> You certainly like to plan ahead!
>>

I don't spend large sums of money like this without a lot of research into all the options. Buy in haste, repent at leisure is my maxim.
 Transferring a registration number - Duncan
>>

Being a slow - moving gastropod mollusc, it takes him (is it a male snail?) a long time to get anywhere!
>> Being a slow - moving gastropod mollusc, it takes him (is it a male snail?)
>> a long time to get anywhere!
>>

I think it's a good idea to wait several months after a new car has gone into production before buying one, to allow time for the inevitable bugs to be ironed out. The start of V40 production was July this year, so next spring isn't waiting an unduly long time.
I was alluding to the fact that you are sorting out the registration procedure before you have decided on the car!
>> I was alluding to the fact that you are sorting out the registration procedure before
>> you have decided on the car!
>>

It's not something I've done before, so I thought I'd better make sure it was achievable under my particular circumstances.
 Transferring a registration number - Manatee
>>

You've just reminded me of a friend's young female colleague a few years ago who was to be married. The plans had been going on for months in the most microscopic detail down to colour of napkins etc. and everybody was heartily sick of hearing about it.

As the day approached, there was a terrorist attack somewhere on the Sinai Red Sea coast IIRC and the honeymoon had to be cancelled. Cue much anxious discussion about where to go instead. Somebody in desperation suggested Bali.

"No that's no good" she shrieked "that's where we're going for our Silver Wedding!"
 Transferring a registration number - Fursty Ferret
Have you encountered any difficulty arranging longer test drives? The amount of paperwork I had to fill in to take the Vauxhall Innuendo for a thirty minute unaccompanied drive beggared belief. Vw just said no, and Jaguar wouldn't even let me drive it without placing an order.

Citroen, to give them their due, handed me the keys and said “bring it back tomorrow".

Have been looking at the new Golf; gets expensive very quickly when you spec it up. They even have the gall to make airbags an optional extra...

Still drifting towards the Insignia, Autocar suggests the £29k Elite goes, on average, for about £24k which seems a decent price. Same spec Golf runs to £31k + finance.
>> Have you encountered any difficulty arranging longer test drives?

I've been promised (over the phone) a 100 miles (or 3 hours) unaccompanied test drive. The only possible difficulty the salesman anticipated would be in finding a V40 with a petrol engine for me to drive. He said that they hadn't had a petrol version at their branch so far, but he hoped that someone at their head office might have one as a company car that I could borrow. I made it clear that if they couldn't find a petrol version for me to drive then they stood no chance of getting an order from me.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 3 Nov 12 at 15:38
 Transferring a registration number - nyx2k
my wife has a new astra 2.cdti elite and loves it.
fast, economical and drives well. we had an astra elite and the insignia elite for 3days each from vauxhall and she wanted the smaller astra though. the insignia elite was my favourite though.
 Transferring a registration number - Dave
The dealer should be able to handle it, but it can and does go wrong.

Much easier to put your current number on retention well before swapping cars, then put the number on the new one at your leisure, and when all the other paperwork is in place.
 Transferring a registration number - Runfer D'Hills
I'm pretty sure there's a form covering this you can download on the DVLA website. I used to have "private" plate and want to remember doing that and taking it to our local DVLA office when I wanted to move it on to a different car. Eventually, I got bored with the faff and sold it. I kind of liked the plate, had it for donkeys years but not enough to be bothered with the transfer process and the attendant costs in the end.
>> .......... but it can and does go wrong.

In what way?
 Transferring a registration number - R.P.
With my turn over of cars i've transferred plates a dozen times, it's easy. As Zero says the DVLA is the most efficient of the Government departments - don't worry about it. I would transfer it yourself. It's a doddle.
Oh I know it's not hard Rob, but I think it was my insurance company which tipped me over the edge of "this is too much faff" when they started charging £50 or something every time you wanted to swap the plate for "admin charges" Up to them of course, and I imagine they get so many of these requests these days that they felt they had to do something but £50 for a 2 minute job seems excessive. ( Maybe an ex-solicitor would see those sorts of rates as reasonable of course ) :-p
>> Oh I know it's not hard Rob, but I think it was my insurance company ..............

Talking about insurance, what chance is there of something going wrong when trying to swap the insurance over to another car which has the same registration number as the original?
 Transferring a registration number - R.P.
There is but it's minuscule....! L&V changed the reg number on the X1 for nothing. Good company them.
Dunno what the odds are L'es but I did find you had to say it all fairly slowly sometimes ! Never actually had a problem once that was done though.
Latest Forum Posts