Motoring Discussion > Have I killed the KIA? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 26

Have I killed the KIA? - bathtub tom
My first outing today on the new wheels thanks to T junction (hope you found my gift adequate?), fitted with brand new remoulds.

I was doing wonderfully on my new wheels and tyres and had far more grip than usual, unfortunately the twenty-year-old transmission wasn't doing so well! Came home on a breakdown truck.

I've got all gears and it drives, but the gearbox oil's come out the bellhousing. When it went, it would go forward a few feet then lock and it would go back a few feet then lock, then it freed. It left oil trails (ah the smell of EP) that indicated whatever broke did so before I experienced the transmission lock. Any suggestions anyone? Someone suggested a diff pin. Looks like I could be learning something new. The only time I've been inside a diff was to replace a planet wheel carrier forty years ago.
 Have I killed the KIA? - Number_Cruncher
Could be a tooth fractured at the root.

Whatever the cause, BT, if there's an interesting fracture surface, please may I scrounge the old parts? Badly broken gearbox parts tend to make excellent teaching aids.
>>Whatever the cause, BT, if there's an interesting fracture surface, please may I scrounge the old parts?

You'd be more than welcome NC.

Any suggestions as to where I can get a cheap gearbox/diff for a twenty-year-old KIA Pride?

If it was a broken tooth, wouldn't it show up as a very noisy problem? It drives quietly (perhaps a bit of a whine that I put down to no oil), certainly no other noise over a couple of miles and I took it up to 50.

I didn't drive it home as the clutch started to slip after a couple of miles and I thought no oil+ clutch slip might not make it much further.
 Have I killed the KIA? - madf
tinyurl.com/chzawxk
 Have I killed the KIA? - T junction
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I am not a stranger to the sinking feeling you get when you hear a bang and find a pool of oil under the car. I had a conrod come through the side of the block of an old Austin A40 many years ago. Hope you are able to resurrect your Kia.

P.S. (hope you found my gift adequate?), Yes thank you. Was united with it a couple of weeks ago when we had a trip down south.
 Have I killed the KIA? - crocks
>>Any suggestions as to where I can get a cheap gearbox/diff for a twenty-year-old KIA Pride?

If you are lucky you can buy this for 99p tinyurl.com/just-for-bt and sell off the bits you don't need. :-)
Finally got the gearbox off.

That hole shouldn't be there: tinyurl.com/d4zp3yd

This roll pin and magnet came out with a load of swarf. The roll pin looks like it's fractured at each end: tinyurl.com/co4et7j

I took the gearbox cover off, but couldn't see how to easily remove the gear cluster and crown wheel, so I can't see what's underneath and I can't see that it would serve any purpose as I obviously need a whole gearbox: tinyurl.com/czvbux7

From what I remember of diffs roll pins are used to secure the planet wheels?

NC. Do you want the roll pin, I could pop it in the post, or you can have the whole 'box (but I'm not paying postage for that ;>)).
>>NC. Do you want the roll pin, ...

Yes please!

Please could one of the mods forward my email details to BT?

The roll pin may be used to secure the cross shaft.

Last edited by: Number_Cruncher on Wed 7 Nov 12 at 12:01
 Have I killed the KIA? - VxFan
>> Please could one of the mods forward my email details to BT?

Done.

Vx
 Have I killed the KIA? - Zero
You'll need a new clutch kit, the old plates will be contaminated with oil.
>> You'll need a new clutch kit, the old plates will be contaminated with oil.

It was slipping after the leak, but it still managed to get up the ramps. Game old girl!

I was thinking of just a new plate as it doesn't do many miles. I'll have to look at costs. Also, as I've now found its weak point I don't want to spend too much only to do it again

I'll also do the drive shaft oil seals as I can't imagine the seals in another 'box will do a very good job with my shafts. The car's never dripped a spot of oil and it would be good to keep it that way.

First I've got to get another 'box.
300 mile round trip to Sheffield yesterday for a fifty quid gearbox that looks like it's spent a couple of years outside - I'm worried about the bearings, the splines on the planet wheels are heavily corroded.

Then this is pointed out to me, ten miles away: ebay 221153967953
 Have I killed the KIA? - Dave_
>> Then this is pointed out to me

Could be an absolute steal, good luck!
>>Then this is pointed out to me, ten miles away: ebay 221153967953

Went to have a look at it this morning. I'd decided I'd only bid if it was good enough for me to use and cannibalise my old one for spares, it wasn't.

It would mean I need to have them both up in the air to swap gearboxes and I haven't the space or facilities for that. It went for £118. I'd guess it's been bought purely for scrap value. I've asked the seller to inform the buyer I'm interested in the gearbox.

Spent the rest of the day cleaning up the threads of the £50 'box. I've yet to figure out how to get a drive shaft through the rust on the internal splines. I wonder what all those flakes of rust in the oil will do?
Give it up, weigh it in.
I've invested fifty quid in that gearbox!
This photo was taken just before the diff failure: tinyurl.com/ce9t3vr

The white vapour isn't all exhaust, the spinning wheel generated much of it!

I remember thinking that if one wheel was spinning, then selecting second would spin it so much faster that the other may start to turn................

That seems to have spun the diff so fast a planet wheel seized on its shaft, twisted the shaft, shearing the roll pin that located it, allowing the shaft to slide out far enough to whack a damn great hole in the casing!

Have I killed the KIA? - R.P.
You go racing in the poor thing ?
>> You go racing in the poor thing ?

Nah! Never raced or rallied.

Trials, autotests and autosolos are a different matter.
Got it back on the road today. All six gears are there and no untoward noises or leaks, so far!

tinyurl.com/cpu8rl2

Suppose I should give it a wash now!
 Have I killed the KIA? - rtj70
>> Suppose I should give it a wash now!

You'll only get mud on it again! I know what sort of things it has to endure.... this is not driving only on the road....
6 gears? it should only have 5!
 Have I killed the KIA? - WillDeBeest
We know you never backtrack, Z, but the rest of us occasionally find a reverse gear useful.
 Have I killed the KIA? - John H
>> tinyurl.com/cpu8rl2
>>
>> Suppose I should give it a wash now!
>>

Do you find that drivers leave bays either side of you unoccupied in public car parks?

:)
Thank you Dave!
 Have I killed the KIA? - Roger.
Now THAT is what we in, or retired from, the motor trade would call a shed!
But it's MY shed.

;>)
Latest Forum Posts