Motoring Discussion > Subaru Outback H6. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 114

Subaru Outback H6. - -
Considering this...

ebay classified number 160905383535

Looks OK to me, but anything glaringly obvious i'm missing please?
 Subaru Outback H6. - Focusless
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160905383535
 Subaru Outback H6. - Lygonos
>>"IM TOLD HAS THE FLAT SIX ENGINE SAME AS FITTED IN PORSCHE BOXTER "

Who does he get his information from? Zero?

;-)
 Subaru Outback H6. - Zero
Oh I see! Right if that's the way you want to play it.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
MOT expires in 4 months - by which time the car will be 11 years old.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Not taking as gospel the Porsche engine suggestion in the ad..;)

Fair point about the MOT and age, but i'll be giving it a through examination.

My lads R plate Imprezza whilst being both a non undersealed grey and umpteen previous equally hooligan owners was in superb condition underneath when sold earlier this year...driven to Czech Republic by the cash buyer who got a mate to give him a lift!!!

Theres another H6 with 90k at Chesham...typical both opposite directions....Chesham car isn't quoting previous ownership, and i'm assuming, possibly mistakenly, that the Doncaster car being one owner FSH should be a good example.

No rush i'm not paying silly money for one as it is the older model so realistically worth less than the later 04 on cars which i don't like as much.

Thanks for posting the direct link Focusless.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 4 Nov 12 at 23:01
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201238485917637

For the proper 'pseudo-Porsche estate' experience.

240bhp or so, and the same sub-25mpg thirst of the H6 !
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Lygonos, nice car but i actually prefer the previous model, if i was tempted into one of these it wouldn't be a Spec B due to stiffer suspension set up*, and i suspect this 06 plate is regd after March so £460 VED rip off.

*Northamptonshires urban roads are among the worse in the country, softer sprung the better.

edit...thirst not a problem as after running it for a few weeks to confirm likely long term condition it will be going in for LPG conversion anyway.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 4 Nov 12 at 23:25
Its a juicy beggar, I assume this is for conversion to LPG?
55-plate = not £460.

Have driven a specB saloon before - smooth and fast, suspension is actually reasonably compliant - avoiding potholes at least.

Not as brutal as the Forester Turbo in power delivery but delicious engine note as it closes on 7000rpm...

Tyres used to be very expensive (215/45x18 -shared with the fronts on a Ferrari F360 apparently) but the advent of interweb tyre merchants means good rubber can be had for just over £100 per wheel.

edit: if you're going for LPG and want a wafty drive go straight for a Tribeca: looks only a mother could love (would likely be beaten like a red-headed stepchild though) and bargain basement prices too.

Top-whack RFL though as none before 56-plate.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201244490972479

Already had the LPG-thang done.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 5 Nov 12 at 00:07
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Missed the 55 plate...i really wanted one of these, not Spec B, a few years ago when they were at giveaway prices in 2008/9, prefer the previous model to be honest.

Prefer larger NA engine to turbo'd and i could live with an XT Forester, my sons heavily modified RA Imprezza wasn't too bad for power delivery, he ripped enough 3rd gears apart to prove it was delivering its 330hp alright.

Just looked up those tyre sizes you mentioned...gulp...you can't miss Northants' pot holes, half the county is one big pot hole and the seemingly constant drainage works haven't helped.

Tribeca?, no i couldn't the pain of looking at it knowing someone hadn't paid me a large bung to take it away would be too much, it makes the ugly as sin Pug 3008/5008 almost prett...er no scratch that...;)

Yes Z if it appears to be good enough for long term investment then LPG it will be, may have to invest slightly more in the conversion though as Japanese valve seats don't seem to be as tough as the Panzers, so injected flashlube instead of vacuum fed might be the order of the day.

Finding the right straight well maintained and one is the task now, preferably comfortably under 100k.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Gromit
Are you set on a H6, or would you consider the 2.5 flat four either? That might widen the range of cars available.

Road tests of the day suggested the 3 litre was blunted a bit by its five speed box, but the 2.5 had power enough and was about 10-12% more economical. 4 speed, rather than 5, auto, but does that matter to you?
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Gromit, i enjoy having that bit more easy power to be honest, not as i drive like a demon any more just prefer effortless low revved point and squirt and still have plenty in reserve for overtakes or if the mood takes me.

If i go for the 2.5 i'd sooner get a Forester XT and have a blown version, and that may yet come to pass.

The H6's are particularly cheap at the moment for good cars, thought it might be a good time to take advantage of a bargain.

Having said that if the right 2.5 Outback came up i would consider it.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 5 Nov 12 at 09:26
 Subaru Outback H6. - corax
>> Road tests of the day suggested the 3 litre was blunted a bit by its
>> five speed box, but the 2.5 had power enough and was about 10-12% more economical.
>> 4 speed, rather than 5, auto, but does that matter to you?

gb

If I was to go for the 2.5 I think I'd choose manual - the auto saps the performance and the four speed has a tendency to hunt between gears according to owners. The five speed auto gearbox is much better.

I think that all the 3.0 Legacy Spec B's have the tax bands L and M plus hard bilstein suspension and 18in wheels, which presumably is why you're looking at the 3.0 auto which is in a more tolerable band K. Guy over the road from me has a Spec B and as far as I know from my last conversation with him, nothing has gone wrong (nothing went wrong with his previous Impreza WRX either). It does sound like a Porsche flat six when he goes up the road, though he moans that it is too quiet, and is investigating stainless replacements as this is one of the cars few weaknesses - the mild steel system rotting out. He's very happy with it though.

I looked at insurance for the Legacy 3.0 auto and it came as a very nice surprise considering the performance. I like the older shape too - a good long termer if you can find a decent one. The newer shape have a bit more power.

Don't forget that 2.5xt foresters will be high tax band. The 2.0xt is band K though.

A few links from owners

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42668

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=54239
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Thanks Corax.

Up to a point the tax bands don't bother me as i fully expect the car to be registered 03 or thereabouts, if we decide to go Forester XT, unlikely, then won't go any newer than very early 06...however thats not to say that the govt won't close the loophole that puts pre March 06 high band cars on £250 VED, so fingers crossed.

Insurance is one thing i haven't checked, that seeme to be a complete lottery.

Auto is preferred matched to the 3 litre lump, performance probably not far off my 3.2 MB and economy once LPG'd probably similar as well.

I think my sons ownership of Imprezza impressed me, considering his hellish cruel abuse of the car the bits he broke (gears) were never meant to take the force he put through them and his driving was solely responsible which he freely admits, the rest of the car stood it well and didn't show any signs of rust or deterioration unlike many European cars of similar age.

It was also remarkably simple mechanically except for getting at plugs and cyl heads for obvious reasons, we put a new clutch in it on my driveway and apart from the gearbox being very heavy everything was straightforward, brakes etc simple and effective.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Gromit
I think the 3.0 Outback was only offered as an automatic.

As for the 4 speed, I have a 2.0 4 speed auto Legacy. It doesn't hunt provided its driven decisively (and that's not a euphemism for 'fast'). It can feel sluggish, though, if you're given to on again, off again use of the accelerator or dabbing the brake.

And yes, GB, both the Legacy and Mk 1 Forester I had before it are refreshingly simple, well built and well thought out cars by comparison to just about anything else out there.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Right, just when we'd decided on a Forester XT this pops up, it isn't the model we wanted but at this mileage and already LPG converted is it worth a punt...am i missing something, likely to travel up and look at it Friday morning, what does the panel think?

We had decided to wait until Feb but we can do this now without problem, rarely does this sort of mileage and LPG converted rear its head, assuming its not sold already, it wasn't yesterday, we'll get a full HPi before travelling.

ebay number 190759473375
 Subaru Outback H6. - madf
Looks nice. I'd buy it - if I wanted a car like it.

Edit: I like owners who present adverts like that.
Last edited by: madf on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 15:58
 Subaru Outback H6. - Focusless
>> ebay number 190759473375

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190759473375
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Thanks again Focusless, can never manage to link to an ebay ad properly, have to get SWM to try for me.

I'm not terribly keen on the pics in the add, peculiar angles etc.
You reckon worth a butchers then Madf, thats heartening.
edit..Stu agrees.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 16:05
 Subaru Outback H6. - Stuu
>>edit..Stu agrees. <<

If I could afford the fuel that is exactly the sort of motor I would have, I adore them.
That is a sexy motor, you would regret passing on it.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Alanovich
Beautiful motor. Love those. Looks a very good example.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Thats three of yer then incl AV, thanks for looking chaps, always handy to have someone pass their hoefully cynical and critical eyes over such things, his car sales feedback look OK to me, agreed?.

We're going to view it tomorrow.

Anybody want a C2 VTS 1.6 HDi?
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 16:19

>> Anybody want a C2 VTS 1.6 HDi?
>>

'Ow much? My 17 year old niece (in central Essex) is in the market for a motor. Does VTS spec bump it up the insurance groups, though?

Stick up a link to your advert when you flog it and I'll have a look.
Looks very nice GB. If it's everything the owner says it is (and it does look genuine), that'll be a nice motor. Good to see that the LPG conversion is professionally installed, well regarded PRINS system and serviced with documents. Just need to see how it drives.

Just a few things. I thought you didn't like the looks of these later models? Also, and this may not bother you one iota, but you can't fit an aftermarket head unit easily, and I don't think there is an aux input for ipod players. There is an american aux in kit, though it looks a faff to fit.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
Feedback only 97.6, but when ya check im out he's not arf bad really.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
''Does VTS spec bump it up the insurance groups, though?''

Just looked on Parkers and its group 14, reckon the quote'll be too heavy for a 17 year old AV, surprisingly quick car as well, might be a bit rapid for a first car but feel free to read up on them, we'll probably look for a reasonable price a bit over £4k, its Aug '08 on approx 35k miles.

''Just a few things. I thought you didn't like the looks of these later models?''

It wasn't my first choice or hers, in fact we'd moved away from Outback cos SWM fancied the Forester XT instead, however this car has everything she wants and its already LPG'd so all boxes ticked...what i haven't told any of you is the reason for change.

Last week we gained a lovely baby Grandaughter, and SWM is going to be quite involved obviously in due course and also obviously the C2 just isn't the right car for the job, which is a pity cos she loves it and its been faultless and goes like hell and costs £30 VED whilst giving over 50mpg running around the houses and over 60mpg cruising, as usual i've overmaintained it meself to suit long term ownership, its had three oil and filter changes in 12k miles, fuel filter during the summer and full reline and new discs, all done by me so i know what quality of oils and parts have been used.

''Also, and this may not bother you one iota, but you can't fit an aftermarket head unit easily, and I don't think there is an aux input for ipod players.''

God i love you C you're as barmy as i am, whats an ipod when its at home, i'm still on a valve wireless, just upgraded from a crystal set..:-)

''Feedback only 97.6, but when ya check im out he's not arf bad really.''

I looked at that D, and the reasons given for the two red marks seem plausible, having those two question marks actually reassures me, if the score was too perfect i'd be suspicious.

''If I could afford the fuel that is exactly the sort of motor I would have, I adore them.''

Well, only a few miles away is the indy LPG supplier at Corby, currently still under 70ppl, but you hold fire matey, don't want to hear reports of this crafty geezer that came up with floodlights and bought this fine Outback in the dead of night that someone else mistakenly told him about..;)
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dave
"Duel fuel"

Is that some kind of medieval petrol?
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Well spotted Dave.

Just had a phone call from the seller, he's just sold it (that was quick For:-), decent of the chap to ring and let me know.

Back to searching for the right car again.
>>that was quick For:-)<<

Haha, I still have the Charade, stacking up the miles nicely, 9000 since May.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
Keep looking for the Forester XT then gord - 3L six cylinder engines are sooo last century.

o-o
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
3L six cylinder engines are sooo last century.
>>

Maybe, but we'd cope with the finger pointing from the trendies..;)

Winter tyres on an Outback eh LL, now that should be quite a capable motor, took advantage of a lull in the wind and rain yesterday and bunged the Benz' set on, my double glazing chap reckons a cold snap is coming, maybe he gets a feel for the changes.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 20:23
 Subaru Outback H6. - legacylad
My friends even fit a set of winter tyres/steels on their 9yo Toyota Tundra 4.7 V8 pick up. Now that is capable. And they carry flares, leccy blankets, tow ropes, 2 collapsible shovels. Being keen powder snow skiers they love blizzards!
 Subaru Outback H6. - R.P.
3L six cylinder engines are sooo last century.

Oi !
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
Ageed! - hard to beat a nice straight-six BMW injun.
>> God i love you C you're as barmy as i am, whats an ipod when
>> its at home, i'm still on a valve wireless, just upgraded from a crystal set..:-)

Didn't think you'd be bothered, though after reading this some time ago (post 21:37),

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=12042

I reckon you know more than you're letting on :)
Last edited by: corax on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 19:24
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
>> I reckon you know more than you're letting on :)
>>

Ah but what you didn't see was me fitting them with me 12lb lump hammer and Stilsons and insulated with Sellotape.;)

Pity the cars gorn, never mind there'll be a 2.5 auto XT along at some point, which is what SWM would like.

For must have some wireless tablet device, or that Scooby goes like hell, cos he's back with a swift initial denial...hmm.
 Subaru Outback H6. - legacylad
I still rate the Outback. I am currently driving my friends 2.5 auto whilst on holiday. A mite thirsty but as gas is only $3.59 US gallon Im not complaining. Four years old and still like new. No squeaks or rattles. Winter tyres now fitted as a winter storm is expected in the northern Sierras beginning tomorrow.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
tinyurl.com/dycrwx8

Thoughts please, this one gives me odd vibes, much waffle whilst saying little eg all that writing yet no details of services etc, or something else i can't put me finger on.

As its an auction sale car so not worth travelling to view before sale ends.
Ding dong.

But why wouldn't you view before bidding?
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
I've sent a message requesting futher details.

I won't view so far away unless there is a possibility of negotiating a deal at the time, otherwise its too easy to invest 300 miles and nearly a day only to find the auction gets cut short for some reason.

edit... maybe cos its 'dads' car is giving me uncertainty, not sure.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 11:22
 Subaru Outback H6. - Fenlander
That overblown description would put me off... as you say gb there is almost no detail about the car itself.

Note he says it's his father's car... seems to be a dabbling dealer though.
 Subaru Outback H6. - No FM2R
I took a random phrase in the description;

"marrying deft tarmac manners with a modicum of trail ruggedness"

...stuck it into Google and learned a lot about plagiarism.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
>>That overblown description would put me off<<

^ I'm with this geezer but, I'd still go to view the critter + weigh the punter up, like.

Distance would be no object (for me) ... I was prepared to go to Ashford, Kent, today ... just to buy a puppy!

:-))
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Ah well a puppy, we're all softies when it comes to them, what make D?

Cheers lads, seems i'm not alone in having reservations about the dads motor...and there's a red (car) and a neutral mark in his car history for not as described.

What about this one.

tinyurl.com/crhubgc

I've had a chat with this fellow, seems a sensible bloke, willing to do a fair deal subject to examining each others vehicles for a part ex with SWMBO's C2...needed a pencilled in deal cos its way (ay the lads;) up in Co Durham.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 12:54
Did you check the lpg installation, type, valve lubrication e.t.c
>>What about this one <<

Valeting isnt great ( can see that even from those pics ) and what is with the funny swirl marks on the boot carpet? Otherwise looks tidy but I bet you can find better.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
>>Ah well a puppy, we're all softies when it comes to them, what make D?<<

A mongrel for 400 sovs gord :)

It's actually a cross betwixt a Norfolk terror and a Jock Russel, for the missus (and Milo, if he's feeling peckish)

>>What about this one.

tinyurl.com/crhubgc<<

I prefer the other one.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Mapmaker

>> Thoughts please, this one gives me odd vibes, much waffle whilst saying little eg all
>> that writing yet no details of services etc, or something else i can't put me
>> finger on.

Not sure you're being fair. What more does a description require? That he's added in (presumably) the manufacturer's own blurb doesn't really detract from anything, does it?

"2 OWNERS FROM NEW AND HAS A FULLY COMPREHENSIVE SERVICE HISTORY TO BOOT"
I'd want to see evidence of more than the boot having been serviced regularly.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Cheers lads, appreciate it, like getting outside varying views from you lot.

The black one on the trader.

Seller did give me history over phone, car was owned by LPG converters in 2008 for about 6 months, 1 owner both sides so 3 in all, did say the converter name but can't remember now, might be the same make as the MB which isn't well known but in practice is working well.

Funny marks in boot presumably from the spare wheel, LPG tank in wheel well...thats always going to be a problem but not insurmountable for SWM's normal usage.
Not sure about the finish, i can't tell from the pics and bow to For's experience here.
Still pondering this one.

Had a reply from the ebay ad, i'll quote you some,

''my father has only owned for about 3 months and it was taxed when he purchased it, he was never sure he was going to keep it as shortly after bought a s-class mercedes, he never registered the car in his name so he didnt need to place another owner on the V5, because of this his name is not on the V5, let me know if this is not a problem and then i will go in to some detail on history,''

you lot any closer to deciding for me about this one, last thing i want is a large repoman clomping down the drive ina few weeks, though it might equally well be completely kosher, would you put your faith in a full HPi?

Undecided but not in a hurry of Northants signing off for a coffee..;)

Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
>>''my father has only owned for about 3 months and it was taxed when he purchased it, he was never sure he was going to keep it as shortly after bought a s-class mercedes, he never registered the car in his name so he didnt need to place another owner on the V5, because of this his name is not on the V5, let me know if this is not a problem and then i will go in to some detail on history,''<<

I smell a rat.
Barge pole.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Thanks lads, it might be perfectly genuine but the 3 months not registered gives me a bad vibes...tax has run out during the three months so quite likely an automatic penalty from dick turpin to come if its otheriwse right, can't see how he could sorn it unless registered keeper..
Iffy.

And I don't mean the one that was on here.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Well thats 3 of you agree that either great care would be needed or avoid altogther, and you couldn't be more different if you tried, much obliged.

Funny, i'd have said exactly the same to any of you had i read the above.

Trouble is these cars are rare enough at sensible mileage and rare as hens teeth already converted at sensible money.

whats your thoughts on the black 'Trader car please Z?
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 14:08
This one? £4,650Subaru Outback 3.0 R Outback 5dr Seq Auto Outback 2005

Well, I like the fact it hasn't had the tyres tarted up with shine, its been photographed in bad light that would show up swirls, doesn't have many. That drivers seat looks a tad baggy but the side bolster isnt broken down so it looks about milage right. The panel gaps all look good, and I like the fact all those exposed front panel bolts have gone rusty and not had a socket on them indicating a frontal shunt.

Looks tidy to me, and pending a peruse at the docs and history would consider a punt at it.
>>Not sure about the finish, i can't tell from the pics and bow to For's experience here. <<

It is clear to me that car hasnt been valeted very well, just looks like a quick vac and wash job - a trader that doesnt even care enough to spend £30 getting a car tidied up?
The drivers footwell is stained, a stain that is easy to remove at that, so ask yourself if you want to buy a car from someone who wont even scrub a stain out.

I would expect that in the flesh it would not stand up to close scrutiny, if presentation matters to you of course.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dutchie
Always sold any cars I owned clean.Just a given in my book.

>> It is clear to me that car hasnt been valeted very well, just looks like
>> a quick vac and wash job - a trader that doesnt even care enough to
>> spend £30 getting a car tidied up?
>> The drivers footwell is stained, a stain that is easy to remove at that, so
>> ask yourself if you want to buy a car from someone who wont even scrub
>> a stain out.

I like my cars to be a bit honest, not happy when they try and snow you with over the top cosmetic prep, its not a glass palace main dealer asking top monkey.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dutchie
I know what you mean Zero shining tyres etc.Honesty is a dent or scratch here and there.To hover a car and give it a wash takes less than a hr.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Runfer D'Hills
Do my eyes deceive me or is that an estate car ( large one at that ) you seem to be interested in GB?

All manner of words and phrases spring to mind including, light, seen, at last, pie, humble, he was right all along, finally, dropped, penny, abject, contrition, apologies, etc etc

Can't begin to decide how to sort them so I'll leave that to you...

:-)
 Subaru Outback H6. - ....
>> Do my eyes deceive me or is that an estate car ( large one at
>> that ) you seem to be interested in GB?
>>
>> All manner of words and phrases spring to mind including, light, seen, at last, pie,
>> humble, he was right all along, finally, dropped, penny, abject, contrition, apologies, etc etc
>>
>> Can't begin to decide how to sort them so I'll leave that to you...
>>
>> :-)
>>

An Atheist goes fishing on Loch Ness, Nessie appears and lifts the boat clean out of the water tosses the whole outfit up in the air, Nessie is about to consume the Atheist who starts screaming "God! God! Help me God!".

Time stops, everything freezes and a voice booms down:
"You're an Atheist, you don't believe I exist, why should I help you now"

The Atheist replies:
"Give me a break, two minutes ago I didn't believe in Nessie"
>>I like my cars to be a bit honest, not happy when they try and snow you with over the top cosmetic prep, its not a glass palace main dealer asking top monkey. <<

There is a huge difference between making a car presentable and bathing a car in silicone spray like some main dealers do. Removing dirt isnt really dishonest, it is just polite.
>>>my father has only owned for about 3 months and it was taxed when he purchased it, he was never sure he was going to keep it as shortly after bought a s-class mercedes, he never registered the car in his name so he didnt need to place another owner on the V5, because of this his name is not on the V5

Ahh an absolute classic. I expect the guy has a patter like that to cover every negative you might uncover. I'd not waste fuel viewing.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Right, just been putting the back seats in the C2 in case we shoot up early morning, quick clean up and wash, but luckily its boring black inside so doesn't show the muck too much.

Still undecided if we'll travel to see the Trader one in Durham, we have a deal pencilled in that sounds reasonable to both us and seller, subject to examination and test drive.

The ebay story book offering is off the agenda, since i quoted part of the reply to my questions its been unanimous here that its too dodgy to contemplate, agreed...see good place this to look for opinions, if you lot can agree on something then it must be so.

As for the LE post...yes, well, um, er, its like this, we now have 2 week old grandaughter (little stunner like her lovely natured mum, my lad chose well) that will need transporting and pampering hence SWMBO's need for a 250hp automatic estate.

I still prefer saloons meself he pleaded in a well maybe i'd better shut up now and stop digging when in deep hole sort of voice...oh go boil yer head..:-)

Actually she's broken hearted parting with the C2, it goes like hell and aprt from its rock hrad ride on Northants' broken urban landscape is a joy to drive enthusiastically, its such a tiny inconspicuous thing that SWM has had a lot of fun taking them by surprise with it.

The cleanliness of the black outback is fine as far as i can see, are you referring to the mark down by the throttle pedal Stu?, cos thats the only stain i can see, Specsavers Monday.

Daren't let you see the old Benz again then with its mushroom carpets and leather, you'll do as before and leave a tide mark half way through cleaning to show just how mucky it was...;)

Thanks for the advice and support here chaps.
>>The cleanliness of the black outback is fine as far as i can see, are you referring to the mark down by the throttle pedal Stu?, cos thats the only stain i can see, Specsavers Monday <<

Yes, but those pictures arent the best, which makes me wonder what you would see in real life, based on the notion that it is always worse than it looks.

That sort of marking is extremely common on all cars with that sort of footwell design, but it is also something that stares right at you when cleaning a car and I would always be suspicious of someone who ignores it - I could never overlook it and sometimes when im just doing a vac out I spray a little cleaner on as I hoover to get those stains gone, it is sooo easy to do.
The mark I saw is on the brake pedal side though I now see the one you saw aswell. Its fine if you dont mind the dirt or some DIY cleaning.

Im too decrepit to spend a whole day scrubbing those seats again, life is too short ;-)
Last edited by: FoR on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 17:13
>> AND HAS A FULL SERVICE HISTORY TO BOOT

>> I'd want to see evidence of more than the boot having been serviced regularly.

:-D
Last edited by: corax on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 18:00
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Well either 'er and i are losing the plot, thats a given anyway or someone doesn't want us to have that black Outback.

Got up this morning sharpish, got as far a Doncaster, stopped for the loo, check in 'er bag...AARRGH..no paperwork for Citroen!!

Searched high and low, no sign of it, phone seller to see if we can still neg the deal and post respective paperworks Monday.
Understandably he doesn't want to, thats fair enough, so i take the dog for a walk cos i've got the 'ump, get back to car and sure enough there's the paperwork in the passenger footwell.

Phoned seller again, he's not answering, phoned his landline, his dad (i think) answers, tells us the geezers out but when i mention we''ve found the paperwork he goes quiet and after a brief conflab sayd someone else is now coming to look at it.

Fair enough, he didn't want to speak to me, cos he probably thinks we're trying to pull a fast one, no point in me pleading, he don't know me from a bar of soap.

Back 'ome now, roads filthy, car needs another wash.

Search resumed.

Is it fate intervening or have i lost the plot.

edit..Citroen DPF's had a good clean out i s'pose...:-)

another edit...that ebay story book Outback is no longer for sale.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 11:00
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
FFS take your time over this ere Outback you're searching for - is there really any hurry Murray?
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
No rush D, have resigned ourselves to finding the right car, preferably Forester XT but Outback a close second, and getting our own conversion.

Maybe a sign of the times that cars already converted seem to be snapped up quickly.

Did you get the hound?
Be wary of the black car's dealer getting back to you with "good news" it's suddenly available to you again.

As a matter of interest his current business is the second he's been involved with recently, the first having ceased trading.... that seemed to be a partnership with his brother who is now listed as an accountant at the same trading address... which also seems to be an accommodation address for dozens of other outfits.

Perhaps nothing wrong but indicates they might be nimble on their feet if you had issues.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 12:40
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
>>have resigned ourselves to finding the right car<<

That's good gb, when do you you change your handle to grandpabennet?

Still looking for a Norfolk cross Jane Jack Russell pup, no hurry though Murray.

How far would you be prepared to travel for "the right car" effendi?
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
''Be wary of the black car's dealer getting back to you with "good news" it's suddenly available to you again.''

No, thats history FL.
And thanks for looking up the trading status, have a sneaky feeling fate might have played a hand thismorning, though i did ave the 'ump for a while.

''That's good gb, when do you you change your handle to grandpabennet?''

As i've said to everyone i know whos come all the old grandpa malarkey, it aint happening, i'm not old enough and possibly never will be mentally..:)

''How far would you be prepared to travel for "the right car" effendi?''

Funny you should say that, we've just had a look and drive of a car you considered a while ago D, a 04 Mitsi Outlander, dual fuel from new and full supplying Mitsi dealer service history.
Wasn't on the radar at all but SWMBO's quite taken with it, 10 miles from our gaff. of all places.

Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
>>As i've said to everyone i know whos come all the old grandpa malarkey, it aint happening, i'm not old enough and possibly never will be mentally..:)<<

Hehe! - I told all my family that I wasn't having a 60th birthday, and that I was staying 59 ... forever!

Is there a link to the Outlander, gord, so we can pick holes in it, like.
>>have a sneaky feeling fate might have played a hand thismorning <<

Told you, dont trust a man that sells dirty cars ;-)
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
>> Told you, dont trust a man that sells dirty cars ;-)
>>

Our fault really but he could have been a bit more accomodating, his loss.

Here's the link....tinyurl.com/d7ye5ky

ugly brute innit...can you see what caught me eye?
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 18:06
Oh testing me now :-p

Funny valet that, outside looks well polished, footwell looks mucky, needs a wet vac, door shuts dont look good, possibly a scratched on the back of the passenger seat.

Ugly but park it next to a Rodius and you will be fine. You know they are selling Ssssssanyong from Westaway at Spratton now, look cheap as chips.
Last edited by: FoR on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 18:20
Just clicked on the link gb... what in the name of.......
I drove one of those Mitsubishis once, quite a nice motor actually, better than it looks.
>> >> Told you, dont trust a man that sells dirty cars ;-)
>> >>
>>
>> Our fault really but he could have been a bit more accomodating, his loss.
>>
>> Here's the link....tinyurl.com/d7ye5ky
>>
>> ugly brute innit...can you see what caught me eye?

Yeah, the price.

Dunno why, but smells of "grey import" to me.
 Subaru Outback H6. - bathtub tom
If it's got a full size spare wheel, where's the gas tank?

I hope those discs clean up with some braking. Has it stood for a while?
>> If it's got a full size spare wheel, where's the gas tank?
>>
>> I hope those discs clean up with some braking. Has it stood for a while?

Wont need long to get disks like that, a week would do it. Specially if those alloys have been sprayed with wonder wheels.
And why does it have no rear number plate?
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Yes its ugly as sin but SWM likes it...that figures.;) it looks better in the flesh than the usual silvers etc, black seems to disguise that snout.

I've had a soft spot for these for some time, a widowed friend of SWM has one i mentioned couple of years ago, unfortunately not LPG'd so likes a drink, its proved to be tough and reliable considering it gets little TLC.

Drove well, comfy as can be and very sure footed on road.
Seems solid underneath, healthily unmarked in recesses which seems to indicate an undisturbed shell.

The thing that i noted was a full set of Michelin Latitudes which are almost new, expensive tyre which i'm hoping judging by the full service book points to decent care of the rest of the vehicle, its a pointer i use rightly or wrongly.

Just come off private plates (confirmed by Trader vehicle check).

Its not a grey its a UK car, registered and taxed as dual fuel, so qualifying for the ten or fifteen quid reduction in VED...in practice getting that meagre discount with an aftermarket converted car means jumping through umpteen hoops and dodging the sandpits even the pro converters seem to shy away from getting them declared.

can't believe the stuff Stu spots, Specsavers it is..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 21:21
>>can't believe the stuff Stu spots, Specsavers it is..;) <<

Customer sometimes ask me to check over cars they have bought and I do tend to be a bit forensic on bodywork and interior condition - a customer asked me to look over a car that had been in the bodyshop for major structural work after a side impact - I filled an A4 sheet and the car spent a further 4 days being rectified.
I bet they loved me at the bodyshop, but in the end, customer was happy and thats what counts.

Was there a scratch on that seat? Wasnt sure if it was my eyes!
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
Careful gb, it's only 5 hours from here you know!

/(*_*)
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
''Was there a scratch on that seat? Wasnt sure if it was my eyes!''

We didn't see it but we're not abothered about it being perfect, an honest well maintained car that shows the odd parking ding which it has is OK, if its too good she gets jittery about leaving it.

Will be interesting to report on all this over time, see if SWMBO's bull antenna are still tuned in..;)

>> Careful gb, it's only 5 hours from here you know!

Too late D, assuming the jobs we discussed are done, she's having it.

So much for Forester/Outback.

Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
>>Too late D, assuming the jobs we discussed are done, she's having it<<

Well nice gb - I think you've gorn down the right road IMO, I am a tad jealous BTW :)
Good luck with the deal then GB. Be good to hear of you back in a proper car !

>> So much for Forester/Outback.

I think that either of the Subarus would be a better drive, but if she likes it why not? Good luck.
 Subaru Outback H6. - -
Thanks lads, yes i too would have preferred her to go Subaru, but experiences from here and people i know who have had Mitsis have almost all been positive, if it does develop problems parts might be a serious headache seeing the car is so rare, cross that bridge in due course.

She surprised me by going for this car, it does pull away quickly enough, that variable valve stuff must be doing its job and obviously there was no slip on the greasy road, and it cruised quietly and solidly at 80, but its never going to be a vehicle for brisk overtaking, where it should score is riding the broken urban roads round here.

Hope it turns out to be a good 'un, its ugly as hell so better be well behaved to compensate, you'll be the first to know if it doesn't..;)
Good oh GB !

Mind you, I've just looked at the ad and either it's not terribly photogenic or "ugly" doesn't really cover it, pig ugly might be closer !

Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
>>I've just looked at the ad and either it's not terribly photogenic or "ugly" doesn't really cover it, pig ugly might be closer !<<

Well that's better than being pig ignorant.
Can only assume someone is easily "offended" !

Sheesh !

Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
I like it gord - one owner too, I don't think it'll hang around for long.

Not the prettiest of noses, but they used a wide-angle lens.

I would have swopped my Lancer in for one (like that) but the Lancer is good for what we need, plus it's recently had a new cam belt plus the Nokians (know what I mean)

Good luck to you anyway!

>> I would have swopped my Lancer in for one (like that) but the Lancer is
>> good for what we need, plus it's recently had a new cam belt plus the
>> Nokians (know what I mean)

Given it some bags of taybrite?
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
Couldn't light the stove for the first time in years today funnily enough, all the rain this year has meant the wood has a higher moisture content and even the coal is a tad damp too, I managed to get it going in the end by using some Zip fire lighters (another first) and it's 23c in here now ... who needs Tenerife!
Ahh stoves.

Having left our much used one in the old fen house withdrawal symptoms of some 14mths were mounting so we had one fitted this Friday and are currently on 22deg from stored old timber in the garage loft.

Heat from a woodburner/multifuel is always warmer than radiator heat for some reason.

New regs are a bit of a pain... got your CO monitor Dog?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 23:02
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
>>New regs are a bit of a pain<<

Amen to that brother! - I've got a 6 year old version this, but with twin doors:

www.westcountry-stoves.co.uk/cottager.html

Quite cheap to buy, but it does the job okay.

I did look into buying one of these:

www.woodstockfires.co.uk/charnwood/charnwoodIslandII.asp

But they are mega expensive, and the installer wanted to cut a BIG hole in the granite wall of my c1790 cottage!

If I did decide to splash out for the Charnwood, I buy it on-line, and to hell with the regs.

I do have a Honeywell H450EN though - I might be mad, but I'm not silly :-))
The Honywell was on my shortlist but we ended up buying this model with a digital ppm readout so we could see a problem creeping up well before the alarm stage...

www.yourdiyshop.com/kidde-carbon-monoxide-detector-ks900-0230-digital?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

I think the regs are a good idea as more and more houses are effectively sealed up... either from new or during renovation.... so there is real potential for CO situations.

Our late 1980s place has modern double glazing and doors so there are very few places for air to get in unless a window is opened. The stove is small and didn't need an air brick. It runs fine with closed windows... but if you put on one or more of our 4 powerful extractor fans they will starve the stove of air so we just have to open a window in/near to the fan while it runs.

Our stove is this model..

www.stovesareus.co.uk/pennine-4kw-multi-fuel-wood-burning-stove.html

It's tiny which was essential as we only had a small brick opening and larger stoves were too tight to the back and side brickwork.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
I like the ppm readout on the Kidde, I went for the Honeywell as it's a tried and trusted name, which I suppose Kidde is as well, but not to me :)

The Pennine 4kw seems ideal to supplement the central heating, and nice to watch on these dark winter evenings when there is nothing to watch on the box :-))
>>> there is nothing to watch on the box :-))

Yep flickering flames on the stove and Rolling Stones on the hi-fi.

>>> The Pennine 4kw seems ideal to supplement the central heating

Yes there was no real point in having larger and trying to heat the house from a single point. With two teens at home in their bedrooms loads and PC/Office in a different room to Stove we need whole house comfortable.
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
Ah! - you need a back boiler then ;)
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
>>Yep flickering flames on the stove and Rolling Stones on the hi-fi<<

Give the Stones a miss tonight F/l, and give this a go:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGwDYBWEDSc

>> Heat from a woodburner/multifuel is always warmer than radiator heat for some reason.
>>
>> New regs are a bit of a pain... got your CO monitor Dog?

Are all these regs really required? Do we know of anyone who has died from using a log burner? Most of the deaths appear to be faulty gas boilers and people putting BBqs in tents!
 Subaru Outback H6. - Dog
Our neighb, a 73 year old Farmers wife living on her own, burns wood, any old wood, I even see her up n' down the lane with her wheel barrow collecting fallen branches after a storm :)

She has a super-massive wood burner, but no 5" hole cut into her wall, but then saying that, these ere blimmin modern places are so air-tight, that one would need to have some form of air inlet into the room.

I just leave my quite large trickle vents open.
 Subaru Outback H6. - No FM2R
>>Do we know of anyone who has died from using a log burner?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1273882/Teenager-dies-summerhouse-wood-burning-stove-leaks-carbon-monoxide.html
If you haven't actually done the deal yet GB you might want to consider this one...

pix.avaxnews.com/avaxnews/3e/48/0000483e_big.jpeg
 Subaru Outback H6. - R.P.