Motoring Discussion > Car sales Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 55

Car sales - Falkirk Bairn
Every month the top 10 car sales by model are published on many sites - boring really as this much of this reflects how many day rent Fiestas, Astras, Corsas and Focii have been bought.

On the HJ site there is a list of top increases in volume and bottom of the table decreases

On the up

Chrysler: +268.41% - the rebadged Lancias
Land Rover: +33.36%
Porsche: +28.26%
Suzuki: +23.46% - low end car volume +VAT Free promotions
Kia: +21.49%

Going down

Renault: -43.65% - culling models and dealers accounts for this
Mitsubishi: -38.87%
Alfa Romeo: -35.30%
Subaru: -21.36%- No Imprezas/Forester being replaced and big petrol estatesot popular l
Mazda: -15.24%
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Tue 6 Nov 12 at 21:35
 Car sales - Auristocrat
HJ attributed the fall in Renault sales to the cull of models that happened in February and the reductions in dealer network. I think Renault's are more deep rooted than this. In Birmingham there are two main dealers (one within 2 miles of where I live), and I have yet to see a 62 reg Renault. I am sure the only reason this dealer is still in business is due to their Kia franchise. They effectively have a shared showroom and the reliability reputation, warranty package and newer model range must favour Kia.
 Car sales - Baz
UK car sales up 12% but elsewhere I read European car sales down about 10%. What's going on, why are we apparently immune to the global downturn in this respect?
 Car sales - WillDeBeest
Percentage figures can hide as much as they reveal, especially after four years of extraordinary, apparently one-off events. You need to look at the actual totals over several years to understand what's really going on.

Chrysler's 200% growth is on a base of practically zero, so it's little more than noise. It could drop by 70% next month, to the same total as before, yet some people would manage to take an average and conclude the trend was upward.
 Car sales - madf
>> UK car sales up 12% but elsewhere I read European car sales down about 10%.
>> What's going on, why are we apparently immune to the global downturn in this respect?
>>
>>

Austerity actually working?

Actually as 50%+ of car sales are company cars and UK businesses doing reasonably well. that's part of the answer.

Also Europe is hit by Italy and Spain where the economies make ours look a runaway success.

(It's always easier for a country to resolve its own economic problems than to do nothing and have others force you to do it)
 Car sales - mikeyb
Land Rovers increase is probably due to the Evoque

Renaults decline was already happening before they culled the range, in fact its one of the reasons they did cull the range. I think years of suspect reliability, arrogant useless dealers and a miss judged market have taken their toll
 Car sales - Zero
>> Land Rovers increase is probably due to the Evoque
>>
>> Renaults decline was already happening before they culled the range, in fact its one of
>> the reasons they did cull the range. I think years of suspect reliability, arrogant useless
>> dealers and a miss judged market have taken their toll

Making them ugly, really ugly, did for them as well.
 Car sales - Bill Payer
>> UK car sales up 12% but elsewhere I read European car sales down about 10%.
>> What's going on, why are we apparently immune to the global downturn in this respect?
>>
I think we're still very influenced by the twice yearly plate change - even if people aren't buying brand-new cars, they don't want to fall too far behind. I reckon sales in the UK would be decimated if we did away with dated plates.
 Car sales - idle_chatterer
>> I think we're still very influenced by the twice yearly plate change - even if
>> people aren't buying brand-new cars, they don't want to fall too far behind. I reckon
>> sales in the UK would be decimated if we did away with dated plates.
>>

+1, it is an anachronism, most other countries do not use registration plates to bolster the car industry, AFAIK the UK's registration scheme since the 1960s has been designed to do just this with multiple adjustments to suit the car industry's whims: Jan1st changed to to an Aug 1st changeover in the late 1960s, twice yearly changeover in Sept/March from 1999, the ludicrous contrived 5x / 6x plates and Jan/Feb cars appearing to be registered in a previous year.

This distorts the market, causes a supply chain headache and runs counter to the objective of car registrations (to identify the vehicle and perhaps the keeper) IMHO.

The UK doesn't have a car manufacturing industry to bolster (in this way) any more as its success comes from exports (JLR, Nissan, Honda, Rolls, Maclaren anyhow).

My spleen is vented....
 Car sales - Dog
>>I reckon sales in the UK would be decimated if we did away with dated plates<<

I reckon it would be cheaper to purchase a private number plate Shirley.
 Car sales - Bill Payer
>> I reckon it would be cheaper to purchase a private number plate Shirley.
>>

That somewhat defeats the aim of people influenced by such things which is to be seen in a new, or fairly new, car.

Funnily enough my BIL has a completely randon private plate on his car, a fairly high-end prestige model which he leases and changes every 3 years. He says it's no business of anyone else's what age is car is and in unhappy that the standard plates advertise the car's age.
 Car sales - Dog
I have only ever bought one brand new car (and a van) in my life but, if I were to fork out for a Subaru XV
Mazda CX-5 / Mitsufishy ASX (as I'd like to) I wouldn't want to go about flaunting it, like.

So I would look to purchasing a private reg plate for c£300.
 Car sales - L'escargot
>> He says it's no
>> business of anyone else's what age is car is and in unhappy that the standard
>> plates advertise the car's age.
>>

Anyone who knows anything about cars doesn't need a number plate to tell them how old the car is.
 Car sales - Bill Payer
>> Anyone who knows anything about cars doesn't need a number plate to tell them how
>> old the car is.
>>
I suspect that's not as many people as you think, though, I have to say that I struggle these days as some models are facelifted so frequently, or a new model is introduced with only subtle changes.
 Car sales - No FM2R
>> He says it's no
>> business of anyone else's what age is car is and in unhappy that the standard
>> plates advertise the car's age.

Is he worried about people knowing his car isn't new? I'm not sure I follow his thinking. doesn't it bother him that people know what brand it is from the name badge?

These days I'm not sure that as many people care as much as either we think or as did in the past.
 Car sales - Bill Payer
>> Is he worried about people knowing his car isn't new? I'm not sure I follow
>> his thinking. doesn't it bother him that people know what brand it is from the
>> name badge?
>>
I was somewhat baffled too - it's a fairly flash car and it's currently pretty new, and it's a model that's been recently replaced (his is the new model).

I tried to query his thinking but he got a bit shirty. The only thing I can think of is that he's in a fairly public job and he might not want people to know he regularly gets a new car, but then it makes no sense that he runs something pretty flash.
 Car sales - madf
>> >>I reckon sales in the UK would be decimated if we did away with dated
>> plates<<
>>
>> I reckon it would be cheaper to purchase a private number plate Shirley.
>>

The 6 month old Jazz I bought came on a private plate. I've been offered £600 nett to sell it. No thanks: I'll live with a dateless one..
 Car sales - Dog
This would look quite nice on the Lancer:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultimate-James-Bond-007-Private-Number-Plate-Aston-Martin-Skyfall-/130789285704?pt=UK_Cherished_Numbers&hash=item1e73a61f48
 Car sales - Dave_
>> I have yet to see a 62 reg Renault

I've shifted a handful of Meganes out of the Coventry dealers - they share floorspace with Kia and Fiat too.
 Car sales - PeterS
The Renault dealer in Chichester closed this year and the site is now occupied by VW...
 Car sales - BobbyG
One of my neighbours works in a car auction - says dealers are tripping over themselves with stocks. Many are only getting targets by buying bulk and pre-registering them and even then, they are struggling to shift them.
 Car sales - madf
Juts look at the adverts for cars with under 2,000 miles , less than 1 year old from dealers.

Pre reg cars: lots of them and 20% off list.

Why anyone (who is a private buyer) buys new I cannot tell...
 Car sales - swiss tony
>> Juts look at the adverts for cars with under 2,000 miles , less than 1 year old from dealers.
>>
>> Pre reg cars: lots of them and 20% off list.
>>
>> Why anyone (who is a private buyer) buys new I cannot tell..

The truth is..

Not many do.
 Car sales - Auristocrat
I've just bought a new Toyota. Used examples (up to a year old) from franchised dealers are almost as much (some more) than the price I paid. I've got the benefit of the full 5 year warranty plus I have the options I want.
 Car sales - Clk Sec
>> Used examples (up to a year old) from franchised
>> dealers are almost as much (some more) than the price I paid.
>>

That seems to be the case as far as I can tell. There's little point in buying a car that might have had a thrashing over the last 6 to 12 months, when, by shopping around, you can pick up a brand new one for the same, or even less.
 Car sales - Zero

>> That seems to be the case as far as I can tell. There's little point
>> in buying a car that might have had a thrashing over the last 6 to
>> 12 months, when, by shopping around, you can pick up a brand new one for
>> the same, or even less.

Tell me where I can get new cars cheaper than second hand ones then please. I need to see where this manufacturing and model can flourish.
 Car sales - Zero
>> I've just bought a new Toyota. Used examples (up to a year old) from franchised
>> dealers are almost as much (some more) than the price I paid. I've got the
>> benefit of the full 5 year warranty plus I have the options I want.

Look if you want to buy a new car, and you have the money thats fine its a great feeling.

But dont try and justify it by kidding yourself that it cost the same. A quick check on any used car list will reveal your car available* at under a year old, under 10k on the clock, comfortably under ten grand.

Ok you get 4 year warranty rather than 5 but frankly if i thought i needed the warranty after 5 years I wouldn't buy such an unreliable car.

Its a 100% rule for most car buying, buying new is not financial sense

*unless its the hybrid.
 Car sales - Auristocrat
Don't have to justify my purchase.

The situation remains as I highlighted - used examples (same engine size, same trim level) less than one year old from Toyota franchised dealers are not much less than the price I paid.
Admittedly some of these are obviously pre-registered (a couple of 61 plates with less than 50 miles), have been used as staff cars or similar.

At the end of the day if everyone followed your 100% rule there would be no used cars for people to buy.
 Car sales - Zero
>> Don't have to justify my purchase.

Exactly that what i said, so why do you feel the need to do so.

>> The situation remans as I highlighted - used examples (same engine size, same trim level)
>> less than one year old from Toyota franchised dealers are not much less than the
>> price I paid.

And you are wrong. Plus if you go outside the franchise dealer chain (and there is no reason not t) they are even cheaper.

>> Admittedly some of these are obviously pre-registered (a couple of 61 plates with less than
>> 50 miles), have been used as staff cars or similar.

>> At the end of the day if everyone followed your 100% rule there would be
>> no used cars for people to buy.

I didn't say they had to, and many don't, If you want to treat yourself to a new car because you want a new car that fine and dandy and long may it stay so. I merely said don't try and fool yourself or justify to other its not the most expensive option.

And you forget. Most new UK sales are company cars.
 Car sales - Auristocrat
"The situation remains as I highlighted - used examples (same engine size, same trim level) less than one year old from Toyota franchised dealers are not much less than the
price I paid.

And you are wrong."

No I've checked this morning on cars advertised by Toyota dealers. The 'price I paid' includes a £1300 discount. I could also have had a £2000 discount on a Yaris Edition.
 Car sales - L'escargot
>> Why anyone (who is a private buyer) buys new I cannot tell...
>>

I buy new so that the specification and colour is exactly what I want, and so that I can have the optional extras that I want.
 Car sales - WillDeBeest
We know, l'Es, we know.

One thing we've forgotten though: are you a tree-hugger?
 Car sales - L'escargot
>> We know, l'Es, we know.
>>
>> One thing we've forgotten though: are you a tree-hugger?
>>

Far from it. When I choose a new car, the amount of carbon dioxide it emits doesn't influence my choice one iota.
 Car sales - L'escargot
>> We know, l'Es, we know.
>>
>> One thing we've forgotten though: are you a tree-hugger?
>>

I gave your post a thumbs up just for the fun of it!
 Car sales - WillDeBeest
Thanks, l'Es.

Curiously, the iPhone wants to autocorrect the first letter of 'hugger' from an H to a B. I know they do things differently in California but that does seem to be taking environmental awareness a little too far.
 Car sales - Crankcase
The joy of language. There is an American TV ad on the tubes somewhere for a product that you strap onto your child. If he goes out of range of you, it sounds an alarm. Since in American eyes this is a "bug" that you attach to him, they called the product - well, let's just say it ends by showing a running, laughing child while the voiceover says "The Little B...."

Car sales - L'escargot
>> Curiously, the iPhone wants to autocorrect the first letter of 'hugger' from an H to
>> a B. I know they do things differently in California but ............

"The American's guide to speaking British" www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 8 Nov 12 at 21:34
 Car sales - Zero
>> >> Why anyone (who is a private buyer) buys new I cannot tell...
>> >>
>>
>> I buy new so that the specification and colour is exactly what I want, and
>> so that I can have the optional extras that I want.

Except the seat it seems.
 Car sales - L'escargot
>> >> >> Why anyone (who is a private buyer) buys new I cannot tell...
>> >> >>
>> >>
>> >> I buy new so that the specification and colour is exactly what I want,
>> and
>> >> so that I can have the optional extras that I want.
>>
>> Except the seat it seems.
>>

The seat on my current car is to my liking. The seat on my next car will be to my liking. I won't buy a car which has a seat which is not to my liking.
 Car sales - Zero
Have you found one yet?
 Car sales - L'escargot
>> Have you found one yet?
>>

I haven't finished drawing up my shortlist yet. I'm going to a Mitsibushi dealer in Holbeach next week to look at an Evolution X FQ-360.
 Car sales - PeterS
>> Juts look at the adverts for cars with under 2,000 miles , less than 1
>> year old from dealers.
>>
>> Pre reg cars: lots of them and 20% off list.
>>
>> Why anyone (who is a private buyer) buys new I cannot tell...
>>

I bought the LEC new because the discount, although not quite 20%, meant there was, in the great scheme of things, little difference between the price of a new or a nearly new one. It worked out at 17% off list IIRC i guess that further negotiation on a pre reg would have widened the gap, but most were 'sport' trim and I specifically wanted avantgarde. The Up was bought new because the savings on used were again negligible, and (at the time at least) there were no pre registered ones about. So it can make sense even from a cost perspective to buy new sometimes, at least when the alternative is nearly new. Comparing new to a two year old one is harder to justify using man maths though...
 Car sales - Focusless
You can get 25% off list on a new Focus from a broker (£20k -> £15k, 1.6 EcoBoost Titanium). Plenty of dealers asking more for less on Autotrader.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 8 Nov 12 at 08:56
 Car sales - idle_chatterer
So I didn't quite understand this recently.... albeit in a different Aussie market (feels more like 2008 in the UK with people avoiding credit and conserving cash). I could get a new Golf for less than a pre-registered one and about GBP500 more than a year old one and the 'used' dealers wouldn't budge on their asking prices.

I guess that VW offering 'runout' deals on the soon to be replaced Golf VI with (high - circa GBP6000) on-road fees covered helps. However I'd expect this to drive down used prices on the same lots ? I expect that VW (and other manufacturers) are giving dealers incentives on shifting the new cars but I have to ask how they expect to sell the older stock, even if it 'owes' them more than they can now get ? I'm sure there's a demand curve for this kind of situation.....

Aussie car brokers were no help, they obviously loaded AUD1000 onto the VW manufacturer supported dealer prices which were obtainable without haggling, certainly a contrast to DtD and their ilk.

All points to the overcapacity in the car manufacturing sector I'd suggest (see separate thread on the likely demise of European Ford and GM plants).
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Thu 8 Nov 12 at 10:04
 Car sales - Lygonos
Buying new is never the cheapest option but choose the right car at the right time and the bulk of the depreciation can be avoided.

Forester lost £2500 in 2.5 yrs. (List £22.5k, paid £14.5k, trade-in £12k)

Shogun lost £3000 in 1.5 yrs. (List £38k, paid £29k, trade-in £26k)

Not insubstantial amounts but massively less than the hammering I'd have taken buying close to list price, and probably the same or better than if I'd bought a 1-2yr old car and kept it over the same period.

I'll lose more over the next 2 or 3 years on the Suzuki Swift.
My last 3 x cars were/are brand new but the last of that model.

Buying the outgoing model normally gives you "extras" for very little and/or a good discount on list.

As a bonus the last models have been in production and teething problems should be ironed out.

2001 - Honda Civic Estate - List £16K, paid £10.5K
2007 - Nissan X-trail Aventura - List £22.8K, paid £15.6K
2012 - Honda CRV EX Auto - List £29.9K, paid £20.7K

Brand new, no accidents, full warranty and at a price around the price of a 2nd hand car.
HJ site has news on Kia - sold more in 10 mths than all of last year.

Sales of 4,837 vehicles in October pushed the year-to-date sales to 57,736 units - 1,622 more than the record 2010 full year figure when 56,114 vehicles were sold.

Renault's loss = Kia's gain?
 Car sales - -
Yoo hoo...waves...we had the same experience as Auristocrat when we bought the Hilux, cheaper to buy new than we could find used, the spec we wanted only been out 12 months at that time.

I should add that we ordered about 2 weeks before that TG North Pole trip was broadcast, discounts ended the day after that was aired because the truck was overnight in demand.
 Car sales - movilogo
>> HJ site has news on Kia - sold more in 10 mths than all of last year.

May be buyers are now appreciating 7-yr warranty.
 Car sales - Zero
>> >> HJ site has news on Kia - sold more in 10 mths than all
>> of last year.
>>
>> May be buyers are now appreciating 7-yr warranty.

More likely that they are good value and full of features and not the unattractive lumps they used to be.
 Car sales - CGNorwich
"More likely that they are good value and full of features and not the unattractive lumps they used to be."

Nah, more old people about.
 Car sales - Bill Payer
>> 2001 - Honda Civic Estate - List £16K, paid £10.5K
>> 2007 - Nissan X-trail Aventura - List £22.8K, paid £15.6K
>> 2012 - Honda CRV EX Auto - List £29.9K, paid £20.7K
>>
Blimey - will you come and hold my hand next time I go car shopping? :)

I did keep an eye on CRV pricing but never saw prices that low, even from my local dealer who were really pushing deals as their franchise agreement came to an end last month.
>>I did keep an eye on CRV pricing but never saw prices that low, even from my local dealer >>who were really pushing deals as their franchise agreement came to an end last month

BP

£20.7K less £7K T/I = cheque for £13.7K - 700 miles in the month and all is well apart from the mpg refusing to go over 30......petrol and auto is a bit thirsty but better than diesel and DPF issues in the future.

The X-trail was then auctioned and bought be a small village dealer and is advertised at £11K

BP - Which dealer bit the dust in your area? Seems a number of old Honda dealers are falling on their swords throughout the UK..
 Car sales - Zero

>> BP - Which dealer bit the dust in your area? Seems a number of old
>> Honda dealers are falling on their swords throughout the UK..

Not surprising really, the business model where you try and sell second hand cars for more than new ones is not sustainable.
 Car sales - Bill Payer
>> BP - Which dealer bit the dust in your area? Seems a number of old
>> Honda dealers are falling on their swords throughout the UK..
>>
TwoMills, on The Wirral, near Neston. Been Honda delaers for 44 years and apparently have done pretty well for them. It's always been slightly odd as there was also a dealer in Chester so they were close to each other but now that dealership has been bought by Holdcroft and is reloacating to Cheshire Oaks, Ellesmere Port, so now only a couple of miles from TwoMills.

TwoMills remains authorised for servicing.

Big shame, I held them in high regard - unique amongst the many dealerships I've dealt with locally. I sent a note to Honda to express my dismay and they didn't even bother to respond.

Car sales - Avant
Which is a further indication that Honda have lost their way.

Just think how many more Jazzes they would sell if they offered a larger engine and a six-speed gearbox, making it less frenetic on the motorway. And how many more Civics they would sell if you could see something out of the back of it.

Even the new CRV, according to Autocar, is no longer a class leader.
Last edited by: Avant on Sat 10 Nov 12 at 15:26
Latest Forum Posts