Motoring Discussion > Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 21

Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - Robin O'Reliant
Top marks for persistence, nil out of ten for intelligence -

tinyurl.com/chdrswc - www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Nov 12 at 10:17
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - -
Persistence admirable, but in all honesty is it for the common good that this person passes and goes on to the next stage?
Some people really are better suited to the bus/train/taxi.
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - henry k
“At the same time, HM Treasury must be pleased by her persistence since it represents a good income for the Government,” he added.

A Driving Standards Agency urged the woman not to give up. “She can still get revision books or even, if she prefers an app for her mobile phone.”
I wonder if she can operate a phone :-(

No other candidate has come near, though a man in Peterborough, Cambs is giving it his best shot with 84 attempts so far.

Also
www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9032247/Learner-driver-fails-test-92-times.html

An unlucky learner driver has managed to fail his theory test 92 times.
The 28-year-old man from Leicester has spent £2,852 on theory test fees alone

It also showed that one driver, a 33-year-old man also from Leicester, failed the practical test 22 times before eventually passing.
Each test costs up to £75.

10 Myths and 10 Most Common Reasons for Failure
www.britannia-driving-school.co.uk/cpages.php?pageName=myths

>> 10 Myths and 10 Most Common Reasons for Failure
>> www.britannia-driving-school.co.uk/cpages.php?pageName=myths
>>
>>
No 1/ "Driving examiners are only allowed to pass a certain number of candidates"

Any driving examiner who steps too far outside his test centre's average pass rate will find his supervisor having a quiet word in his ear that he'd better come up/down a bit to avoid a trip to Cardington for retraining. If his/her pass rate was too high the next few unlucky candidates will find themselves on the toughest test routes with no quarter given.
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - Bromptonaut
>> Any driving examiner who steps too far outside his test centre's average pass rate will
>> find his supervisor having a quiet word in his ear that he'd better come up/down
>> a bit to avoid a trip to Cardington for retraining. If his/her pass rate was
>> too high the next few unlucky candidates will find themselves on the toughest test routes
>> with no quarter given.

But why was it assuming measurement over a reasonable period, higher than average? Anyone can have a day of good candidates but wekks of them???

The supervisor needs to be onto that.
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - Zero

>>
>> But why was it assuming measurement over a reasonable period, higher than average? Anyone can
>> have a day of good candidates but wekks of them???
>>
>> The supervisor needs to be onto that.

It varies by centre. Weybridge (now closed and moved to Chertsey where I passed my hackney carriage license) was reckoned to be a doddle to pass in, whereas Twickenham was reckoned to be a complete bar steward to get through.

>> It varies by centre. Weybridge (now closed and moved to Chertsey where I passed my
>> hackney carriage license) was reckoned to be a doddle to pass in, whereas Twickenham was reckoned to be a complete bar steward to get through.
>>
When I was last involved the pass rate varied between 25% at Wanstead and Wood Green centres (where the examiners reckoned they had to turn a blind eye to a few things to get anyone through at all) to 67% somewhere in the north of Scotland (where candidates were asked to drive as if they had another vehicle behind them).
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - No FM2R
When I was young it was reckoned to be Winchester.

Seemingly the klutzes down there couldn't even pass a test in the 70s and so you had half a chance if you turned up with a bit of a brain.

Strangely enough it also had a very short wating list. At the time waiting lists could be 10 or 12 weeks, at Winchester it was only 1 or 2.

Worked for me; a blessing after the problems on my first test where the chief embarassment was waiting for a tow truck to lift the car up high enough to get the bicycle out from under.
>>
>> Worked for me; a blessing after the problems on my first test where the chief
>> embarassment was waiting for a tow truck to lift the car up high enough to
>> get the bicycle out from under.
>>
Now that's a tale that needs expanding, Mark!
>> Persistence admirable, but in all honesty is it for the common good that this person
>> passes and goes on to the next stage?
>> Some people really are better suited to the bus/train/taxi.

With TfL she'll probably be invited to get a job driving one.
>>but in all honesty is it for the common good that this person passes and goes on to the next stage?

Whilst I think that passing the theory test has little to do with safe driving ability, anybody who cannot pass anything in 100 goes shouldn't be allowed the remote control for the television, never mind a car.
>> Top marks for persistence, nil out of ten for intelligence -
>>
>> tinyurl.com/chdrswc

The real tragedy is that your Pie 'n Mash shop has closed down.

tinyurl.com/ckrfeps
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Nov 12 at 10:19
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - John H
>> The real tragedy is that your Pie 'n Mash shop has closed down.
>>

That is due to Eastenders decamping to Byfleet.

Yeah - terrible place that Byfleet, glad I don't live there.
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - Rudedog
I'm guessing she had to pay a new fee on each new attempt? maybe that's why she was encouraged to carry on trying.
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - CGNorwich
>> I'm guessing she had to pay a new fee on each new attempt? maybe that's
>> why she was encouraged to carry on trying.
>>

Wasn't Mrs Webb was it?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pee0bVsXXcY

I just tried the Theory Test, I did one of the free 50 question tests on the . gov website.

I've never even looked at it before although I've been driving a million years and I did it quickly. I still had 50 minutes left at the end.

How in God's name can you fail that thing 100 times? Despite the fact that some of the question's connection to safe driving is dubious, the answers are pretty obvious most of the time.

And no, I didn't get them all right. 48/50. Turns out you'd be better off not using a Toucan Crossing when I'm driving along the road.

Is it shocking that I don't actually know what a Toucan Crossing is?
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - rtj70
>> Is it shocking that I don't actually know what a Toucan Crossing is?

Yes. We should flog you for that ;-)
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - Bromptonaut

From a driver's perspective it's just another crossing. May behave like a conventional traffic light rather than have a flashing amber phase but as long as you stop for red.....

As a cyclist one doesn't stop anyway - unless crossing.
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - Cliff Pope

>>
>>

You toucan fail the driving test.
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - L'escargot
>> .......... nil out of ten for intelligence -

It's not necessarily about intelligence.

"Chairman of expert driving group the North East London and Essex Group of Advanced Motorists Derek Legetter said he had never heard of someone failing the theory so many times.

He added: “It’s not a particularly hard test, you just need a good memory.""

Not everyone has a good memory. I now have a bad memory myself.
 Deary Deary, This Bloomin' Theory - zookeeper
snail ... how have you managed to get away with the words 'Essex' and ' advanced' in the same sentence?
Latest Forum Posts