Motoring Discussion > How much do you think ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 76

How much do you think ? - Runfer D'Hills
Last week, my wife was driving home from work in her Qashqai. The route involves some twisty winding narrow 60 limit country lanes which are unlit.

Anyway, a white Transit type van came bowling round a blind bend well over on to her side heading straight towards her. ( Well that's her story anyway ) She thinks the driver had overcooked the bend and was going too fast for his and or the vehicle's capabilities. She remembers seeing the ubiquitous row of three occupied front seats and varying degrees of terror on the expressions of their faces.

Fortunately she managed to swerve on to the nearside verge and the only impact was taken by her driver's door mirror which was damaged beyond repair. She didn't get the reg of the van as it failed to stop and it was dark.

Her car is the cooking model Qashqai and the door mirrors are simple black plastic jobs which are not colour coded to the car and don't have any fancy indicators built in or any clever auto folding mechanisms.

Soooo, we decided not to pursue an insurance claim as there were no other party details to give and clearly it would just be a case of sourcing and fitting a new mirror.

Well, the car was due into Nissan this week anyway for a recall job on the fuel sender so it was convenient to ask them to fit a new driver's door mirror.

How much do you think that came to then?

Clue, it was a lot more than seems reasonable to me !

How much do you think ? - Lygonos
A tad under £300 would be my guess.
 How much do you think ? - Fenlander
£125 mirror plus £75 labour (inc vat)??

I guess you are too posh/busy for getting a used one from Ebay for £35 and fitting yourself.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 7 Nov 12 at 17:39
Certainly busy. Not sure about the other thing. Keep going chaps, neither response so far is close enough...
 How much do you think ? - sooty123
A wild guess, £227.78
 How much do you think ? - John H
Glass palaces have huge overheads.

Not less than £300 for the part, plus £200 fitting - both inc. VAT >= £500 total.

Gotta admire you for being true to your word and supporting local businesses at uneconomic prices (re. Comet thread).

How much do you think ? - Robin O'Reliant
£313.87
OK, no one has got quite close enough, so, for a bit of fun and given that I'm skint by this anyway, I'll lob a tenner in a poppy pot tomorrow on behalf of the first one who gets within £10 of the actual bill...

Keep them coming !
 How much do you think ? - Phil I
I have found these people sharpist on price and 1st class on delivery

nissan4u.com

based in florida us ofA

Hth Phil I
 How much do you think ? - Jacks
Ok - a 2 minute google search throws up a poor guy on the QQ forum who was
quoted £350 for the mirror assy in primer. His needed painting (unlikke yours) .He had it sprayed and fitted at an indy for £75 + VAT ..So he paid a total bill of £440

So if a black plastic unit is similat in price to a unit supplied in primer (£350) add Nissan fitting, 20 minutes/approx£30 + VAT

So I'll say a bill of £386.

Jacks
 How much do you think ? - Manatee
A friend of mine keeps knocking these off. ISTR they aren't too dear, except for the painting which yours doesn't need. Hers are the electric jobs as well. £150? Maybe my memory is at fault.
 How much do you think ? - madf
Labour £110
Parts: £212

Total £322+VAT

£386.40
Nope ! Tenner for the poppies chaps and chapesses ! C'mon...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 7 Nov 12 at 18:36
 How much do you think ? - nyx2k
 How much do you think ? - Robin O'Reliant
I think we're on the wrong track here. It was a lot more than Humph thought reasonable, but then Humph is SCOTTISH.

£9.99 and they bought him out a coffee and a deep-fried Mars bar while they fitted it.
 How much do you think ? - mikeyb
A quick look on ebay shows you can get an official one for £269 so I'm guessing the dealer will be selling at the RRP of something around £325 plus 1 hours labour at £80+VAT mmmm £410.83p
 How much do you think ? - John H
In December 2011 the part cost was "£400+ from Nissan"

forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/wing-mirror-replacement_topic8143.html

Last edited by: John H on Wed 7 Nov 12 at 19:25
 How much do you think ? - sherlock47
£517.77 inc VAT

blind guess - typing in the dark!
 How much do you think ? - Westpig
It cost me over 500 notes from an Indie on my 13 year old S Type.

So.

Main dealer, I'll go for £620.
>> typing in the dark!

OK, curiousity killed the cat etc, but, erm, why?
 How much do you think ? - corax
£650 all in from the dealers with a smile.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 01:10
 How much do you think ? - sherlock47
Have you thought about staking out the route on another evening at about the same time? 3 occupants - probably regular trade work. Follow and then inspect the mirror for damage when occupants have departed. If you are lucky you may even get 3 addresses!
 How much do you think ? - NortonES2
Nix. Out of the goodness of their hearts?
Some good guesses but still no one close enough. I'll wrap it up soon but...

:-)
 How much do you think ? - Dog
A Monkey + A Pony.
 How much do you think ? - rtj70
£415.
It's going to be too much Humph. Just lash an old vanity mirror to the door then when you flog it get a good one from the Quashqai breakers where they've all gone due to the failed Renault bits.

Fuel sender you say?

:)
Well, the answer is....

Tell ya later...

How much do you think ? - -
Reasonably simple mirror, though possibly heated and electrically adjustable, i reckon we're going the wrong way and this was a pleasant surprise...well it would be to the rest of us but Humph is a Jock...:-)

I reckon about £155 all in, and they fitted it as a favour to a valued customer.

By the way, thought my time might have been up today, loaded oncoming artic doing a similar losing it trick on the A43 and trailer slewing ominously towards me, a nervous few seconds till we passed with not too many inches to spare.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 7 Nov 12 at 20:39
Alright then, I've got to go soon. Last episode of new Dallas to watch. We've had a range from £155 to £650.

The former being the top end of what I would yesterday have begun to think was reasonable. The actual amount was.....£339 inc VAT.

Blood and sand !

:-(
 How much do you think ? - Auntie Lockbrakes
339?! Dick Turpin is alive and well! That's horrific.

ISTR paying about 60 Euros for a Panda door mirror in France about 6 years ago. I was expecting you to get stung for 150-odd quid :-(
Thats a bit heavy, goodness knows what a folding colour keyed memory jobbie would be.

Anybody near a Dacia dealer have the time to pop in and enquire for the complete mirror price for a Duster, might be an interesting comparison.

>> Anybody near a Dacia dealer have the time to pop in and enquire for the
>> complete mirror price for a Duster, might be an interesting comparison.
>>

Wont it be the same unit on the cash cow......;-)
>> Wont it be the same unit on the cash cow......;-)
>>

You never know, i expect the cover to look different though.
 How much do you think ? - R.P.
Door mirror Honda Civic 1991 - not electric nothing - £144.00 (this was in 1993)
>> Door mirror Honda Civic 1991 - not electric nothing - £144.00 (this was in 1993)

Years ago I remember Quentin Wilson describing Honda spares as 'silk wrapped'.
Retrospective apologies to those who came in under £155. Currently writing 100 lines of... Must read threads more thoroughly...

How much do you think ? - Dave_
It's only 46 quid for a universal heated DAF/Iveco truck mirror. And they're bigger ;)

(corax - the swear filter doesn't like rhyming slang equating main dealers with larcenists, a blast from the past use of the forum software)
 How much do you think ? - carmalade
Think yourself lucky it's not a Bmw X5/6.Electrochromic mirror glass alone is over £250.!!
Well, I only take comfort in the hope that the bloke driving the Transit made an irreparable mess of the upholstery in front of his colleagues...

>> Electrochromic mirror glass alone is over £250.!!

Never mind DMFs, with prices like that I can see a time when a broken mirror will be enough to send a car to the scrapyard...
 How much do you think ? - Lygonos
The heated mirror-glass on our old CRV was 17 quid from Honda.

Fortunately the housing survived the gaffer's parking.
 How much do you think ? - MD
I had the air con serviced (leak test and refill) on the Pajero last week £70.00 plus vat. And whilst in there I asked them to change the nearside headlamp bulb which involved removing and re-fitting the coolant bottle. How much for that little bit then? A virtual can of Bombadier to the nearest guess.
 How much do you think ? - Clk Sec
>>How much for that little bit then?

£23.50 inc VAT.
 How much do you think ? - L'escargot
>> .... £70.00 plus vat. And whilst in there I asked them to change the nearside headlamp
>> bulb which involved removing and re-fitting the coolant bottle. How much for that little bit
>> then?

£70.00 plus VAT.
Further to my post above. With an annual service, my main dealer wouldn't charge for such a small job.

I'm assuming it involves little more than the removal of a couple of screws.
Currently my Bombadier is safe with me. Nowhere near it.
>> I asked them to change the nearside headlamp bulb which involved removing and re-fitting the
>> coolant bottle. How much for that little bit then?

Your aircon service cost exactly twice what I paid in May, so I'll guess at an hour's labour for the blub at double our local rate (£40) too. That's assuming they didn't actually drain and refill the coolant along the way?

80 quid plus vodka & tonic = 96 pounds MD.
Well the £70.00 is standard. Do they drain to test? I guess they have to, but I will be advised by you guys. Anyway test (no leaks) 1995 vehicle to boot and a re-fill. Blows ice cold now. The bulb BTW cost £2.48 plus the 'Vodka'

Bombadier claim in writing please. (0:':0)
>> I can see a time when a broken mirror will be enough to send a car to the scrapyard<<

I can see a time - within 5 years, that motoring will become too expensive for the common man.
 How much do you think ? - No FM2R
I doubt it.

As far as I can see motoring is cheaper now than it was 20 years ago. In real terms, of course.
 How much do you think ? - Alanovich
So said people 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 years ago........
 How much do you think ? - CGNorwich
So said people 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 years ago......

And they'd be right.

The cost of motoring as compared to average earnings has continued to decline since the 1950s
 How much do you think ? - Focusless
>> So said people 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 years ago......
>>
>> And they'd be right.

(that was in reply to Dog's comment about it becoming too expensive)
 How much do you think ? - Alanovich
Yep. No FM2R got one in between us.
>>Yep. No FM2R got one in between us<<

No doubt we'll read all about it in the DM sooner or later.
 How much do you think ? - No FM2R
>>No FM2R got one in between us.

I can't imagine you woke up this morning thinking you were going to use that phrase!
 How much do you think ? - L'escargot
>> I can see a time - within 5 years, that motoring will become too expensive
>> for the common man.

Just be careful who you're referring to as common!
 How much do you think ? - TeeCee
My all time favourite in this vein was my old Skoda 130 Rapid. Cars were fitted with mirrors by the importers as they didn't have them as standard(!).

Cost of replacement mirror from Skoda? 35 quid.

Cost of exactly the same mirror, sold as an aftermarket accessory item by a little parts 'n accessories place in Muswell Hill? A tenner.

Useful to know as they stuck out a ways and the driver's one had a habit of disappearing without warning in traffic....
 How much do you think ? - Falkirk Bairn
www.amazon.co.uk/QASHQAI-ELECTRIC-MIRRORS-DOOR-PAINTABLE/dp/B008A3NDTO/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1352394960&sr=1-13

£170 inc vat!
 How much do you think ? - rtj70
For both driver and passenger side. So £85/each plus delivery.
That's fairly annoying. The twist in the tale was a "customer feedback" call today. Would I mind answering a few questions? Not at all...

Was your experience
A Excellent
B Very good
C Good
D Poor

"Well I'm a lot poorer"
"Which box should I tick?"
"Have you got one for total rip off?"
"No, which one should I tick?"
"You don't have an appropriate one I'm afraid, leave it blank."

"OK, would you recommend "Bloggs" Nissan dealers to your friends?"
"Only if they'd won the lottery"

"Would you consider bringing your car to us in the future for MOTs or servicing?"
"Only if I'd won the lottery"

"I'll get our service manager to call you."
"Why? Will he be offering me a refund?"
"No, but he can discuss the matter with you."
"Tell him to call me if he's going to offer to refund some of the cost, otherwise please tell him not to bother"

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 9 Nov 12 at 17:32
 How much do you think ? - Focusless
Excellent work Humph :)
 How much do you think ? - BobbyG
Was out car browsing today and looked at the Qashqai and the salesman was telling me all its features. Which includes 360 degree camera coverage.

Apparently it has a camera in each wing mirror, one at front of car and one at rear so that when manoeuvring, on the radio / satnav screen, you get a full view around the car in real view mode.

Assume Nissan must think its drivers do not have the sense to look out windows and use mirrors!

I would imagine the price of an electric , painted mirror with a built in camera will be a pretty penny!!
>>Apparently it has a camera in each wing mirror, one at front of car and one at rear so that when manoeuvring, on the radio / satnav screen, you get a full view around the car in real view mode.
Assume Nissan must think its drivers do not have the sense to look out windows and use mirrors!<<

Could be that it's an option available on their range of vehicles that have standard-fit privacy glass.
:)
Right well then, I was away on a business trip all last week. While travelling home late on Friday night I called home to give my ETA. Wife fairly subdued on phone. While returning from work earlier that evening, on the same chuffing road, on the same chuffing bend she lost the same ( well, the new ) chuffing mirror to a fast moving but unidentifiable large saloon again on the wrong side of the road having overcooked the bend.

So she says...

Now I do know that what you're supposed to say is something like "Never mind Darling, just so long as you are ok, it's only metal" or whatever...

But, y'know... Sheesh-erooney !

Tonight we've just got her car back with it's second new door mirror fitted. Only just paid the chuffing credit card bill with the last one on.

Happy chuffing Christmas !

How much do you think ? - Westpig
Cheers Humph...for some reason that's cheered me up no end.
Glad to have been of service WP. Your view does also seem to broadly reflect the general tenor of the opinion of my colleagues...

How much do you think ? - R.P.
She should be made to reflect on her behaviour....
......bought a smile to my face on an otherwise quite dull day.

Have to question the robustness of those cashcows though. Mrs B has smacked the Sharans mirrors a few times, if fact, once so hard that she thought it had smashed the window when it folded in, but the only damage has been the LED repeater packed up and the glass fell out, but remained in tact, suspended by the electrical wires
Might be an idea to give that Cashcow a nautical facelift, hang tyres round the body like an old boat.

Alternatively find out who makes the mirrors and buy a large wholesale pack.

Aye mebbe, when I've saved up...

>> Might be an idea to give that Cashcow a nautical facelift, hang tyres round the
>> body like an old boat.
>>
>> Alternatively find out who makes the mirrors and buy a large wholesale pack.
>>
>> :-)
>>

Perhaps Primark could make a cheap cloned version to sell "fast and cheap"
 How much do you think ? - Bill Payer
>> While returning from work earlier that evening, on the same chuffing road, on
>> the same chuffing bend she lost the same ( well, the new ) chuffing mirror
>> to a fast moving but unidentifiable large saloon again on the wrong side of the
>> road having overcooked the bend.
>>

Can't she find a different route?

I live in rural Cheshire and I hate those country lanes - if you do actually crash it'll go 50/50 anyway, and you really, really don't want to be having an offset frontal impact with a Transit going at speed. My wife insists on using them all the time - she simply can't understand why I would go the long way between villages when there's a direct route.
Quite so Bill. That indeed was one of the more constructive suggestions I made to her...

How much do you think ? - Stuu
The wifes Sirion has had two windscreens in the last 6 months or so. The second time a stone flicked up and hit it there was just a chip and we thought we got away with it, but just like the first screen, we parked up and an hour later a lovely big crack.

The words my wife uttered are unrepeatable in polite company, but I had to calm her down before she rang to get yet another replacement screen on order and pay the excess, again.

Then a few weeks after her second one, mine got the flying stone treatment, same road aswell.

I am firmly of the belief that the company that resurfaces the roads has shares in Autoglass, or if they dont, they should.
 How much do you think ? - bathtub tom
Any space inside that mirror housing for a length of angle iron?

It won't save the mirror, but should inflict serious expense on any one else.
Latest Forum Posts