Motoring Discussion > Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. Car Deals
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 51

Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - R.P.

PRICE:£14,995

Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 2 Cabriolet (with hard top) -

Colour: Blue

PRIVATE SALE

Selling on behalf of the family as part of the estate of the previous owner
Year: 2001Mileage: 56,800

Been passing this one every day on the way to/from work......looks very, very sharp in a discrete way of course.
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - Runfer D'Hills
That might have to be done RP. On the list of stuff to do before it's too late sort of thing...

Might be fun to get a price on a fitted door mirror mind !

:-)
There is but it can't possibly be more expensive than a Nissan's can it ? This car business is a bit like falling in love isn't it. Have another look tomorrow. They know me there so I might even diddle a test drive...
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - Zero

>> This car business is a bit like falling in love isn't it. Have another look
>> tomorrow. They know me there so I might even diddle a test drive...

Its not at all like falling in love. When you fall in love you have plans for a future, better or worse, sickness and health kinda thing.

You are just having a string of gratuitous lust driven one night stands.
You got to admit - she's a looker...
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - BobbyG
drove a 911, GTR, Focus rally car, Evora, on a road trip from Lochearnhead to Oban and back.

The 911 was the one that I felt could be used as a daily driver as well as weekend. And was so easy to drive compared to the raw power of the others.

Would now take one before a Ferrari....... or a BMW...... or a Volvo !
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - swiss tony
>> You got to admit - she's a looker...
>>

Maybe she is.......

......But you know she would break your heart.....
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - legacylad
That is one car I could be persuaded to change my'04 330 convertible for. But would it be as reliable? And could i fit a towbar?
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - Dog
The most fun I've ever had (apart from having sexual intercourse with a woman) was driving a Porsche 911.
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - MD
You still seeing her then? (0:-:0)
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - Boxsterboy
I had a 996 after my Boxster, and I never got on with it. I could never get confident with the steering and always felt that the back was about to go on even the slightest bend. Maybe I should have persevered, but in my book the Boxster (S in my case) was way, way way better to drive. The only advantage the 996 had was its extra rear seats, which on the cab are even smaller.
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - PhilW
"rear seats"

Please define "seats" ;-)
They are cracking cars to drive, no doubt about it and they make a lovely noise! I'm always tempted to leave them in 2nd or 3rd gear (in Britain!) just to hear that engine revving a bit!
Also, my dreams of cruising Europe in one are tempered by the fact that the biggest luggage spaces in a 996 are your pockets.........and if your partner needs as many bags/cases etc as mine on even the shortest trip she would have to follow in a fully loaded Transit!
We happened to sort of drive past today...she's still there
Like a hooker on a street corner you mean?
Why not sidle up to her, lift up her bonnet, and caress her headlamps.
with a

"how much dahlin"
Just run this by us again Rob if you will please?

You bought a scooter to save money
You bought an old Fiesta to save money
You kept the 3 series rather than the X1 to save money
You bought the Volvo for the dogs but bought the Fiesta to keep the dogs from dirtying the Volvo.
You kept the two other motorbikes because, well, whatever...

OK, still with you so far.

So how much money have these strategies saved again?

Enough for a Porsche?

I'm off to buy a scooter and an old supermini. I shan't use either of them but in doing so it'll save me money I reckon. I'll get that Maserati soon after all !

It's a non-runner - I'd have to part ex the Bimmer or sell it private. The Porsche would never be a practical drive. Wouldn't be happy parking at my place of work for instance.

Must take up smoking.

Mrs RP seemed to like it a little...
The porky is a non runner?

This is one hooker thats gonna run off with your wallet.
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - Kevin
>It's a non-runner..

A bit like this one then that's a year younger, comes with a running 3.6L engine (not the 3.4) and a warranty.

tinyurl.com/ahr39bx

Rob,

email me. I've got this bridge you might be interested in.

PS. They also have an 07 MX5 in blue for £6990 ;-)
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - Avant
If I remember right, Rob, you've taken early semi-retirement - just the time to do something fun and illogical.

Or maybe not that illogical - the RP stable lacks a convertible at the moment.
That was timbre of the conversation on the way home. Mrs RP misses her MX5 - this Porsche has a pretty as a picture hardtop. Realistically the Bimmer is here for at least another year (Service and Warranty renewal time) - the Porsche is a runner of course, it is a beautiful looking car - but do I/we need a car which has a 4.2 0-60 and with a 170 mph top - end, of course not :-)
....and of course Zero is absolutely right - servicing upwards of a grand - hideously expensive tyres...do Skoda do a drop-top ?

Edit...

Mind you....

www.rpmtechnik.co.uk/servicing/fixed-price/porsche-996-c2/
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 10 Nov 12 at 15:09
No it is logical Avant. Y'see, he sold the MX5 to buy the Volvo to transport the dogs, but the dogs make the Volvo too dirty so he bought a Fiesta to put the dogs in so the Volvo keeps clean but now he doesn't have a convertible but he likes the Volvo so clearly he now needs a Porsche so he can have a convertible. It all makes sense because without it he only has three motorcycles and a BMW saloon left to choose from so in the event of it being sunny and on days when he doesn't want to wear a helmet what is he supposed to do then eh?

I feel for him...Must be hard...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 10 Nov 12 at 15:12
There is the "her" in the mix - just mentioned the servicing costs, she countered with the "low" mileage and pondered a test drive....easily led or what ?

(She'll be reading this in a minute)
You can't really find a reasonable argument against buying it to be fair. Makes perfect sense to me... After all, you bought her ( or persuaded her to buy ) a Volvo estate last time and now you've rocked up in an old Fiesta. Give the poor girl a break !

;-)
Y'know what might make a bit of sense is if you bailed out of all the current cars and had something like, oh I dunno, an X1 and an MX5...

Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - crocks
Surely the answer is a Mondeo estate and a Westfield. :-)
>>Surely the answer is ...

Once upon a time it was indeed !

In all seriousness Rob, if you need to have a Porsche and indeed who could blame anyone for such an ambition, I'd be thinking hard about whether a drop top was the right choice. Somehow, I think I'd only be able to buy a coupe. Can't really say why other than that there's a time which comes for both men and women when convertibles just don't cut it anymore.

Unless of course you favour wearing cravats.

That made me laugh out loud....reminds my of a guy I worked with. Reasonably recently he went away for a weekend with his wife to deepest Herefordshire in his convertible Merc- he says that a woman on a bicycle unleashed a torrent of abuse at him for no apparent reason he could think of - she made reference to the size of his willy etc....

Few weeks later on a Sunday afternoon, in the rather pleasant, leafy town he lives I saw him walking down the street wearing a blazer and a cravat.....I was prevented from shouting abuse myself but I now have a mental image of him that day in Herefordshire - very Lesley Thomas...
Have a look at Caymans....Some good kit at similar money on AT...
Probably a more practical car !
"practical"

What has practical got to do with it? If you've got the brass - go for it!
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - Lygonos
Practical?

Bilbo and Frodo can get in the back of a 911.
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - Avant
"Can't really say why other than that there's a time which comes for both men and women when convertibles just don't cut it any more.

Unless of course you favour wearing cravats."

Oh dear. Here we are, SWMBO and I, in our mid-sixties, with a Mini Roadster and an old Z3 in the garage. The Skoda estate, sitting outside, is faster than either but we like our convertibles. When we were younger they weren't practical for a growing family - and we couldn't afford a fun car anyway.

But then, Humph, I'm probably some sort of a freak - one of seven reliable family Renaults we had was an Espace that did 120,000 miles without breaking down.

...and I have a cravat somewhere in the wardrobe.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 11 Nov 12 at 01:00
>>Here we are, SWMBO and I, in our mid-sixties, with a Mini Roadster and an old Z3 in the garage<<

Bravo! ... better than ending up being an old fuddy duddy and driving about in a Lancer (or worse!)

:+)
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - WillDeBeest
...in his convertible Merc- he says that a woman on a bicycle ... made reference to the size of his willy...

Well, I suppose the absence of a roof puts a certain extra onus on the convertible driver to, er, ensure his dress is properly adjusted. Perhaps he needed a longer cravat.
Perhaps she misheard him when he called her over and muttered something about "ding dong"?

I have often wondered what on earth I could replace my '04 330Ci convertible with. This post made me consider a 996, although currently outside my £10k budget. Nice looks, but not sure if I could fit a towbar which is essential for my trailer. The 330 does everything I need, apart from decent mpg, although 30ish is acceptable for the 'feel good' factor. Looks like a no then unless my circumstances change. Shame.

>> The 330 does everything I need, apart from decent mpg, although 30ish is acceptable for
>> the 'feel good' factor. Looks like a no then unless my circumstances change. Shame.

Thats good, we wouldn't want everyone laughing at you with the tow bar on the Porsche
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - No FM2R
www.autoblog.nl/images/wp2007/Porsche%20997%20caravan%2002.jpg
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - henry k
A bigger caravan needs a bigger Porsche
www.autoblog.nl/archive/2010/03/08/autoblog-vakantieauto-2010-de-porsche-panamera
Only an Airstream on a porkie would be anywhere near not laughable
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - henry k
>> Only an Airstream on a porkie would be anywhere near not laughable
>>
phil97na.tumblr.com/
Nothing as flash as towing an Airstream for me. Just a 6' x 4' trailer with mixer, bags of sand & cement. Logs sometimes, friends furniture etc etc.
I had agreed to buy a newish MX5 from a friend pre 330, but it was not homologated for a tow bar, and fitting one illegally invalidated the insurance.
Number 8 M8:

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/9690562/Least-reliable-used-cars-1997-2012.html#?frame=2404114
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - madf
On the top 10 reliable cars, someone said he believed German cars were reliable.. I note Mercedes are hogging the list... and Porsche.. and Bentley.. (which is German) Oh and BMW...
Last edited by: madf on Thu 22 Nov 12 at 15:54
OK - like RP I get the occasional slight stirring (!) and here are a couple of cars I have driven this week which did the trick
1) Audi TT Quattro 3.2 - '57 reg with 28k on clock. Drove it from Scotland to Midlands, very impressed
2) Nissan 370Z only 5k on clock 12 reg I think - drove it about 300 miles - very impressed again and they seem to be available for a reasonable price.
Mrs W thinks I am going through an old age crisis (well past middle age crisis!) because I fancy a "sports" car.
Neither make the same noise as a Porsche mind you!
Would either cause a "slight stirring" in others (including RP!)
P
Neighbour of mine has an '03 TT 3.2. They normally change their car every 3 years but are so pleased with it they have kept it 9 years. Looks nice in a dark metallic blue. Never driven it mind.
The 350Z convertible was on my short list before the 330 came along. A friend of mine is an AA patrol man and he owns one. Very highly recommended by him.
My BIL has a 350Z coupe. Not been without its faults. New clutch recently at sub 40k miles. Nice thing though. Poor man's Porsche really. I like it.
 Porsche 911 996 C2, C4, Turbo - -- a slight stirring. - rtj70
>> They normally change their car every 3 years but are so pleased with it they have kept it 9 years.

So they no longer change cars every 3 years ;-) They're probably telling you they love it so much. In reality they cannot afford to change it. The mark 2 TT was a much better car. The original had some wow factor design elements but it was not a great car to drive. It was sharing the same underpinnings as the Golf/Audi A3/Octavia/etc. Then again so does the current one albeit the newer platform.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 17:42
Latest Forum Posts