Motoring Discussion > FIAT - New direction for FIAT
Thread Author: Auristocrat Replies: 19

FIAT - New direction for FIAT - Auristocrat
Interesting article in this week's Autocar on how Fiat Group plans to pull out of recession. The article includes information from an investor presentation.
Planning to abandon the Golf sector of the market, and kill off the Punto. Planning a niche model to replace the Punto (like Nissan did by replacing the Almera and Primera with the Qashqai) based on the 500L.
Their logic is that it is no longer possible to build mass-market cars profitably in Western Europe, and that eventually the 500 and Panda will be built in low cost countries outside Europe. Of the 10 new Fiats scheduled by 2016, only 2 will be Italian-built.
Their strategy is to develop their premium brands (Jeep, Alfa Romeo, Maserati) and factory closures in Italy will be prevented by this expansion. Nine new Alfas (eight of which will be made in Italy), and six new Maseratis (all Italian built) are planned between now and 2016.
Presumably the new sports car being developed with Mazda may well be built by Mazda.
Interestingly, production of the new Panda was transferred from Poland to Italy last year to prevent an Italian factory from closing.

Just wonder if they've told Nissan, Honda, and Toyota that they cannot be building cars profitably in Western Europe.
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - rtj70
>> 500 and Panda

They are already being built in cheaper county - Poland. Although you say they transferred the current Panda back to Italy - didn't know that. They share underpinnings so that makes little sense. They also make the Ford Ka there.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 8 Nov 12 at 08:40
It only made sense because they promised the Italian government they wouldn't close Italian factories.
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - Zero
>> It only made sense because they promised the Italian government they wouldn't close Italian factories.

It only made sense because the Italian government paid them to do it.
They are still building the previous generation Panda in Poland, and selling it as the 'Panda Classic' in some countries.
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - PR
The Italian government at the time of the transfer, and Fiat didnt see eye to eye at all. One of the main reasons for the transfer was that Tychy was running at full capacity, and they now make the Lancia/Chrysler Ypsilon there too, so capacity needed freeing up for that.

Fiat won large concessions in labour contracts before they agreed to spend the $1bn to tool the Pomigliano factory for the new Panda, and also to bring it up to "World Class" status. These concessions were with the unions / workers.

FIAT - New direction for FIAT - Runfer D'Hills
I'd still rather buy a Lancia than a Chrysler. I think. Probably. Maybe. Dunno.
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - PR
You can get "Chrylser" Delta's at bargain prices now!!
Don't Italian cars have great names? "Integrale" "Testarossa" Sedicivalvole" etc etc...

:-)
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - No FM2R
Uno.
due

tre

Wassamatta you, gotta no respect...

:-)
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - No FM2R
Ah Shuddupa ya face

Awww, do I *have* to put a smiley? They're so contrived. Even worse than the ticky thing / frowny face.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 9 Nov 12 at 20:14
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - Lygonos
>> Awww, do I *have* to put a smiley?

Here's one for you Mark. Free of charge too.

.|.. (-.-) ..|.

>> Ah Shuddupa ya face
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Awww, do I *have* to put a smiley? They're so contrived. Even worse than the
>> ticky thing / frowny face.

There have a frowny face.
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - corax
Doblo
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - -
Ducato...used to wind my Ducati owning mate up when i deliberately confused the two.
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - PhilW
Maserati Quattroporte
Sounds great in Italian- not quite the same in English!
so whats it called in italy?
four door
 FIAT - New direction for FIAT - madf
POC : the same in English and Italian
Last edited by: madf on Sat 10 Nov 12 at 12:15
Latest Forum Posts