Motoring Discussion > Pluckley Classic Car rally Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 20

Pluckley Classic Car rally - Zero
Pluckley, in Kent, is reputed to be the most Haunted village in England, and the place where the TG presenters James May and Richard Hammond, filmed a review of the Smart Forfour, spending 24 consecutive hours in the car, including all night in the Screaming Woods.

Its also the site of a monthly classic car rally, at the Dering Arms near the station.

And here are all the cars I snapped, and in the mix is the answer to the mysterious "MG" thing.

s606.beta.photobucket.com/user/know_wun/library/pluckley%20car%20rally
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - CGNorwich
It's still registered as a Triumph I think you will find!
>> It's still registered as a Triumph I think you will find!

Not according to the MID.
>> >> It's still registered as a Triumph I think you will find!
>>
>> Not according to the MID.

gentry-owners.co.uk
"Not according to the MID."

But it is according to the DVLA - It's a Triumph with the 1061cc engine of the Triumph Herald.

Can I recommend the useful free App "MyCarCHeck". No car spotter should be without. :-)

>> "Not according to the MID."
>>
>> But it is according to the DVLA - It's a Triumph with the 1061cc engine
>> of the Triumph Herald.

Except it doesn't.

>>
>> Can I recommend the useful free App "MyCarCHeck". No car spotter should be without. :-)

You can say what you like, you haven't won. The promoters decision is final, and there is no appeals process.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 12 Nov 12 at 10:30
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - Fenlander
>>>with the 1061cc engine of the Triumph Herald

Heralds were 948, 1147 or 1296cc.
The engine that is now in that car.

www.canttri.flyer.co.uk/maruti.htm
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - Fenlander
Weird he'd go to so much trouble to fit that odd engine when the standard Triumph units fitted the concept so well... the power of the new unit is already causing overheating, suspension/drivetrain issues and clutch problems.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 12 Nov 12 at 11:38
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - Armel Coussine
>> www.canttri.flyer.co.uk/maruti.htm

Well I'm damned. It's a pretty close copy of a TF from the outside.

Why would anyone want such a thing though? I don't get it, I really don't. It isn't that it's necessarily horrible, or that one would be ashamed to be seen in it. It may drive a bit better than a real TF, who knows? I just can't understand why anyone would actually want one.
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - Runfer D'Hills
Sort of with you there AC. Of course I need to be a bit careful here because I've had a kit car in the form of a Westfield which I suppose technically was a sort of copy of a Lotus 7 / Caterham but they are quite respected in their own right by those who race them etc.and I would never have put Lotus badges on it or whatever.

But, I just don't quite get the "replica" thing. There are people who re-body MR2s to look like Ferraris and Sierras to look like Cobras etc.

I'd be really quite embarrassed to admit to that. Maybe there's a point to it I'm missing. I'd rather have an MR2 and restore it for example than dress it up as a Ferrari. Similarly, a concours Herald would be much more interesting to me than one disguised as a TF.

Mind you, there's no accounting for taste. I remember a chap who had a mk1 Panda which proudly displayed a chrome "Turbo" badge on it's tailgate. I made the mistake of chuckling and mentioning to him that it was a mildly amusing thing to do but he was deadly serious in trying to persuade me that it was in fact a little known sports model. I tried to gently let him see that I knew it couldn't be but having started to tell his tale he...well you know...

Who was that fictional character again? Walter something who fantasised about things?
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - Armel Coussine
Anyone might want a Westfield Humph. Half the price of a Lotus and just as capable. A different matter altogether.
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - bathtub tom
>> a chap who had a mk1 Panda which proudly displayed a chrome "Turbo" badge on it's tailgate.

IIRC it was quite possible to shoehorn in the Uno turbo lump.
The history

www.canttri.flyer.co.uk/How%20to%20build%20a%20Gentry%20twice.htm
"You can say what you like, you haven't won. "

Story of my life really.

Interesting that presumably the owner can't change the manufacturer details on the DVLA database. Born a Triumph that what it remains until scrapped. Presumably he can call it what he likes for Insurance purposes and that what shows on MIDS
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - crocks
Don't know the exact rules now, but 20 years ago he would have had to keep it as a Triumph with DVLA to keep the registration number. Otherwise he would have got a Q plate which would have spoilt the illusion.
>> Don't know the exact rules now, but 20 years ago he would have had to
>> keep it as a Triumph with DVLA to keep the registration number. Otherwise he would
>> have got a Q plate which would have spoilt the illusion.

As the TF wasnt built after 1955, and would not have had a registration suffix, it was a pretty poor illusion anyway
A pretty poor illusion to you and me, but the majority of people wouldn't notice.
Q plates stand out a lot more.
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - Dog
Some nice old jamjars there m8, I gets me tea n' that from Pluckley: www.kenttea.co.uk/pluckley_tea.htm
If you had Lud's money you could buy the pub and have your own car rally.

www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-35486515.html

"Our client also organises a classic car meeting on the 2nd Sunday of the month, throughout the year. Proving to be very successful, with 50-60 cars attending during the summer ...of course weather permitting! "
 Pluckley Classic Car rally - Dog
Looks like a nice place, I wonder if they do pie n' mash.
Latest Forum Posts