Motoring Discussion > Red give way ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 5

Red give way ? - Old Navy
Twice in the last week I have seen drivers treating red traffic lights as a give way situation. Am I alone in treating green lights with more caution these days ?

I realise that cyclists are exempt from the traffic rules and laws. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 12:38
 Red give way ? - Bromptonaut
>> Twice in the last week I have seen drivers treating red traffic lights as a
>> give way situation. Am I alone in treating green lights with more caution these days
>> ?

Will always glance around to ensure traffic stopped when crossing green light. A bit more careful still if I'm at head of queue.

Observation in London is that stopping on amber is increasingly rare and that it's common for two vehicles to pass on red. Gt George St junction with Parliament Sq is a particulalry egregious example. Worst offenders are buses and taxis.
 Red give way ? - Focusless
There's a dodgy junction near me: goo.gl/maps/PaSd1

As you can see each of the 2 lanes has its own lights. The problem comes when the lights go from both on red to left hand lane only (red Fiesta) on green. The driver in the right hand lane (white van) waiting to go straight ahead sees a green light, notices the movement to his left, and also sets off even though it's not his light. I was in the left hand lane when this happened last week, not for the first time.

So when I'm coming out of the junction from the road on the left, turning right, I don't set off too sharpish just in case...
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 14 Nov 12 at 13:09
 Red give way ? - madf
The traffic engineer who designed that should be disciplined.

Solid white lines to separate the lanes is a MUST..
 Red give way ? - movilogo
>> There's a dodgy junction near me: goo.gl/maps/PaSd1

I have seen many such junctions. However, it is always the case that left lane (to turn left) gets green signal first before go ahead turns green. This particular junction's lights are doing exactly opposite.

Red give way ? - Focusless
>> However, it is always the case that left lane
>> (to turn left) gets green signal first before go ahead turns green. This particular junction's
>> lights are doing exactly opposite.

Yes, although they don't usually - the reason they are in the picture is because the pedestrian crossing is green (family have just crossed). Normally at this point they would both be green.
Latest Forum Posts