Motoring Discussion > New Honda CRV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Videodoctor Replies: 4

New Honda CRV - Videodoctor
A friend who works for Honda came round last night and while chatting casually mentioned that he had the new CRV outside which isn't out for over a month yet.
Evidently his job is to take it round the Honda dealers to teach them of all the new features etc so that they knew whats what when it arrived in the showroom.

So anyway i couldn't resist a good look round it.It was evidently the top diesel model and had such things as electrically adjustable memory seats,touch screen entertainment system with Bose speakers and 10gb hard drive.
It had all the usual things that a top of the range car would have inc leather seats,moving headlights,stop start etc.

He said the cost was a whopping £34,000!!

Anyway while chatting he mentioned that his car was a pre-production model and when he had finished with it, it would be stripped down and crushed!

When asked why he said that if Honda sold this pre-production model onto the public and they had a crash due to something failing then the insurance companies would have a field day.

Honda will take back the car,strip it and look for wear and tear and other things that might fail in order to make them better.
He even asked if he could have the speakers when they had finished with them but was told no parts what so ever will be used!

Seems such a waste for a good car!.
 New Honda CRV - Lygonos
No more a waste than all the ones Honda smash up for crash testing ;-)

Looks an improvement on the rather ugly Mk3 model that has just been run out.
 New Honda CRV - Falkirk Bairn
I would not agree that scrapping the car is a bad idea.

The car may look very like the one you can buy from next month but the history of the car might be quite different

1) It could be a 2011 US left hooker modified to RHD as a test mule.
2) It could be a mixture of production parts and hand crafted pre-production parts
3) it could be that the car although a Mk4 could consist of MK4 body and Mk3 engine and gearbox parts - this happens when tight deadlines slip and make do parts are added to meet a deadline for publicity photos, demo reveals to the trade etc.

The key to quality and support over the life of any product is to engineer the product in fine detail (desgn and manufacture) and engineering change process in place throughout the life in manufacture and for the 15 years it might be on the road..

I have no experience in car manufacture but was blasted with quality control and 7Sigma manufacturing process design and manufacture in Electronics. I never really listened as much as I should have but understood some of the ideas and practice.
 New Honda CRV - R.P.
I saw one yesterday parked outside a hotel - seems quite sharp. Sort of half tempted again in a couple of years. specc'd up petrol version is reasonable - definitely when priced against the BMW equivalent.
 New Honda CRV - Boxsterboy
>> A friend who works for Honda came round last night and while chatting casually mentioned
>> that he had the new CRV outside which isn't out for over a month yet.
>>

Two Honda dealers near us have both had one on their forecourts for a couple of weeks now, and I saw loads in the States during half term hols. Looks worse than the last one, I think.
Latest Forum Posts