Motoring Discussion > Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 21

Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - Meldrew
According to a list compiled by the Motoring Section of the ST, based on 3 years old and 30K miles the highest depreciation goes to the Volvo S80 T6 SE Lux Geartronic (never heard of it!) which costs £40,265 and ends up with 79% depreciation, worth £8,400

The least depreciation goes to the Audi A3 1.6 TDI SE, costing £20,100 and ends up with 47.5% depreciation, at £10,550. Figures supplied by CAP

So the Volvo starts £20k more expensive and finishes up £2k less - that's a bit savage!
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - Lygonos
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201244490779532

5yrs old, 123k miles - 7 grand.

I guess that's list retail vs. bottom trade being compared above.

(edit: couldn't find a T6 so a 4.4 V8 should be at least as precipitous!)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 18 Nov 12 at 19:12
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - Zero
hows this

VW Phaeton - list £51,000

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201239486638202

Three years old, under 30k, £15k

so thats 70% depreciation over three years.
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - No FM2R
The best car I ever owned.

Do not, under any circumstance, buy one without a real warranty.
3.5yrs old.....

;-)
>> 3.5yrs old.....
>>
>> ;-)

Only if you are buying. If you are selling its 3 years old.....
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - madf
11.7mpg urban!..
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - Bromptonaut
If there were an estate version of the Cit C6 I'd welcome a 2-3yo model at around 30% of list.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 18 Nov 12 at 20:13
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - Mike Hannon
>>If there were an estate version of the Cit C6 I'd welcome a 2-3yo model at around 30% of list.<<

Not if you talked to my friend (who has a C6 - from new) you wouldn't.
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201238485382833

In metallic with Sat Nav list was ~£21,300

3yrs old (albeit 48k miles) and it's being retailed at £6,000.

A lot of (crap) car for the money...

Want diseasel?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491397093

List £19,800 - yours at 2.5yrs old and 42k miles for under £4,500
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 18 Nov 12 at 20:22
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - sooty123
Good value, full of kit. Looking at the reviews owners seem to like them.
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - WillDeBeest
Have you looked inside it? The grey steering wheel has inserts in both silver painted plastic and fake wood. And it has 18" wheels, so a set of tyres will cost nearly £1,000. It won't stop depreciating either, so it won't be long before a puncture renders it beyond economic repair.

Sad thing is that customers who buy crap like that are often the ones who choose a colour, ask how much and write a cheque, so the usual get-out of 'nobody pays list' may not apply here.

Iffy would call me a snob; if it keeps me out of a World of Leather PoS like that then a snob I'm happy to be.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 18 Nov 12 at 21:14
>> Have you looked inside it? The grey steering wheel has inserts in both silver painted
>> plastic and fake wood. And it has 18" wheels, so a set of tyres will
>> cost nearly £1,000.

hardly, set of Contis for that fitted all in for £648, set of Yokahama winter tyres £520.
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - R.P.
If my memory severs me right they were selling two of these for the price of one in 08..
Is your memory really that sharp, RP?
};---)
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - R.P.
I went to a conference somewhere and there was a Chrysler garage outside the window I was sitting at - they were BOGOF !
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - -
Hilux must have been one of the best then £21k new incl VAT (plus about £2k in aftermarket extras/fittings/treatments), sold for £15k @ 3.5 years.

Weren't they giving away Dodge Nitros when new too, an ugly beast.
Google suggests the Dodge Avenger as the BOGOF car. But it was 'memory severs' that I was limply poking at.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 18 Nov 12 at 21:48
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - Boxsterboy
Typical rubbish pro-German car Sunday Times journalism (as I'm sure we can all see).

1. The depreciation figures are based on list prices. Who in the right minds pays list price for the cars on the high depreciation list, like a petrol V6 4x4 Vauxhall Insignia? Or a Volvo S80? No-one. Whereas many cars on the low depreciation list sell closer if not at their list price.

2. So a Porsche 911 has low depreciation, and yet the buyer losses more money on this than any other car in the list. How do you measure the money in your pocket? As a percentage of your earnings or the number of notes? Personally I measure the folding stuff!
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - idle_chatterer
An observation: in other (possibly most) car markets, cars don't depreciate anywhere near as quickly as in the UK and (from my experience) discounts on new cars are also much smaller or even non-existent.

So, my 'conjecture' is that this might change in the UK too, I suspect that the market is still skewed by company car/fleet purchases to the detriment of the (new car) private buyer (or the advantage of the second hand car buyer).

With the likely long-term slow economic growth and the constant targeting of the company car for taxation I wonder whether this dynamic might change, I already notice that UK rental fleets keep their cars much longer into their economic life rather than being part of the 'nearly new second hand' channel for manufacturers.

Car makers are going to cut manufacturing capacity in Europe so supply will more evenly match decreased demand which will alter the prices paid (even if list-price doesn't change the discounts offered will likely shrink). This should benefit residuals too.

Then there's the trend towards longer warranties, I contend that modern cars have a design life and are generally reliable within this so perhaps people might habitually keep cars longer in the UK too? It would be nice if the UK's market-distorting car registration policy could change of course. I certainly see people keeping their cars much longer in Australia (and Hong Kong, although that's a very different market).

Comments on the absolute (rather than the percentage / relative) depreciation are also very relevant IMHO, whilst their specs have improved of late - even a few years back a number of expensive options were necessary (for resale) on Mercs and BMWs - Auto, Leather, SatNav perhaps. these added GBP 10,000 to the list price yet (I don't think) are reflected in these depreciation figures which are quoted. Net result is that your car has lost rather more money than the figures suggest after 3 years.
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - John H
>> I went to a conference somewhere and there was a Chrysler garage outside the window I was sitting at - they were BOGOF ! >>

WdB was referring to "severs".
:0
Last edited by: John H on Mon 19 Nov 12 at 12:03
 Highest and Lowest Depreciating cars in UK - John H
>> Want diseasel? >>

Too much doctoring on your mind?

Latest Forum Posts